Author Topic: Why can't all managers talk like this?  (Read 1219 times)

Why can't all managers talk like this?
« on: 21 October, 2023, 07:36:51 pm »
It references Bobby Charlton at the end but the whole interview makes me wish for managers like this.  A realist and a gentleman.  See if you can listen from the start - it doesn't matter who you support.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Why can't all managers talk like this?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2023, 07:42:58 pm »
It references Bobby Charlton at the end but the whole interview makes me wish for managers like this.  A realist and a gentleman.  See if you can listen from the start - it doesn't matter who you support.

???

« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2023, 07:50:21 pm »
You are right to be puzzled!  I missed out the link:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67109086

It's the Roy Hodgson interview halfway down.  Sorry about that.  Hope you are all drying out and safe!

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2023, 06:01:55 pm »
Hodgson talks and talks, and occasionally it makes sense.
For me, 2 quotes stand out from the time he spent at Liverpool.
"just f'ing hoof it" yelled over and over at Daniel Agger (playing at left back, obviously) after he repeatedly passed the ball to a team-mate.
"to get a result here would have been utopia" after losing 2-0 to a terrible Everton team at Goodison.

There's a compendium of much of the nonsense he spouted while at Liverpool here (it only starts in November, because that's around about when people started to realise just how much nonsense he talked): https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/04/the-hodge-files/

« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2023, 03:04:58 pm »
Duncan that may be true over a career, though I would suggest you may have partisan reasons for what you say!  I don't know what else he has said over his long career.  I was just referring to that particular interview.  I'd have said the same, whoever had said it.  I don't bear grudges, except against Leeds ... and maybe Fergie time, and ... hang on a minute, I've dropped my list!  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2023, 02:41:14 pm »
I definitely have an axe to grind about Hodgson! :)
He's a perfectly adequate manager if a win, a draw and a defeat is acceptable for any given set of 3 games. Don't expect any more than that though, even if you give him the Arsenal invincibles or the Citeh Centurions. Which is why if you talk to fans of Fulham or Palace or the other mid-table teams he's managed they are perfectly happy with him, and if you talk to fans from any team with greater expectations (eg England, Liverpool, Inter) they complain bitterly about turning thoroughbreds into carthorses.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2023, 02:52:41 pm »
No manager could talk like Brian Clough  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 02 November, 2023, 07:20:08 pm »
Very few managers could play like Brian Clough.  Pretty much a goal a game until injury stopped him at only 29.