Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 336525 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1825 on: 08 November, 2020, 09:57:01 pm »
S2 of “His Dark Materials” kicked off tonight unnoticed by this Unit but fortunately Professor Larrington e-mailed me a reminder and get_iPlayer is now strutting its funky Stuffs.

Yeah they sneaked that one out. Fortunately I spotted it before we started watching the Vuelta.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1826 on: 09 November, 2020, 12:09:03 am »
Apparently the subtitles can't speel 'daemon' or 'anbaric' properly   :facepalm:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1827 on: 12 November, 2020, 08:31:25 am »
Oh wow, you two have got so much fun to catch up on!
I can recommend the Hometasking videos on the Taskmaster You Tube channel too when you run out of the repeats on Dave.

Made a start on Project Catch Up With Task Master last night. It's perfect wind-down telly after a stressful day at work.

I've seen the clip of Romesh Ranganathan and Tim Key attacking a watermelon before, but it still had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

Is Greg Davies the best game show host ever? I'd love to see him presenting a 'straight' game show - he'd be brilliant on something like Tipping Point.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1828 on: 12 November, 2020, 08:36:16 am »
Wind down TV for me is Richard Osman's House of Games.

Any show where the answer to a question is "Alexander Graham Belly Button" is alright in my book. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #1829 on: 12 November, 2020, 09:23:48 am »

Any show where the answer to a question is "Alexander Graham Belly Button" is alright in my book.

That's another one I came late to, but I love it lots. Always forget to watch it though - should set a reminder on the box...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1830 on: 13 November, 2020, 06:27:17 pm »
Absolutely anything rather than Children In sodding Need…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1831 on: 13 November, 2020, 06:35:37 pm »

I often go and visit my mum near her birthday. Usually arrive Friday night and am then subjected to CIN by my brother all night.
This should be in the Coronabonus thread really.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1832 on: 14 November, 2020, 12:27:07 am »
We were prepared for CiN night.  We binge watched 'Queen's Gambit' on that Netflix.  Very good.  I think I survived 4 or 5 episodes before sloping off to bed, which is not bad for a non telly watcher.  Mrs B finished it. And the bottle of wine.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1833 on: 14 November, 2020, 08:57:34 am »
We completely missed CIN last night, which was a bonus. We played “Haven’t a Fucking Cluedo”. It’s a family board game where the winner is the one player who hasn’t made an incorrect accusation.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1834 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:09:20 am »
Only saw one CIN program - DIYSOS contructing a centre for Surfability charity;  impressive.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000pbx6/diy-sos-children-in-need-special-2020-caswell-bay
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1835 on: 14 November, 2020, 01:14:28 pm »

I've just discovered it was Children In Need yesterday.  The only CIN content I encountered was That Nice Mr Paulley cremating a Pudsey on Twitter, and that's the sort of angry crip randomness I've come to expect from him, so failed to make the connection.

I accidentally spent the evening writing a non-blocking NTP client in Arduino-friendly C, instead.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1836 on: 20 November, 2020, 06:22:21 pm »

That's another one I came late to, but I love it lots. Always forget to watch it though - should set a reminder on the box...
It's even better this week. Anglea Barnes
(click to show/hide)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1837 on: 23 November, 2020, 12:04:07 am »
On iPlayer for a few more days, The Secret Life Of The Berlin Wall.  Not actually that much about the Anti-Fascist Protection Barrier itself, but more about the DDR and the Stasi and suchlike.  Godspeed You! Black Emperor feature prominently on the soundtrack too, which is a bonus.

citoyen

« Reply #1838 on: 27 November, 2020, 10:00:49 am »
Apologies for being one of those people who discovers something long after everyone else and then won't stop going on about it, but...

Had a mini-binge last night to catch up on recent Task Master episodes and nearly died laughing. Literally. I was actually choking. But there would be worse ways to go.

Still chuckling this morning at the thought of turning up to the office and having to explain, "Sorry I'm late for work - Johnny Vegas put me in a Christmas tree bagging machine."

rob

« Reply #1839 on: 27 November, 2020, 10:43:38 am »
Apologies for being one of those people who discovers something long after everyone else and then won't stop going on about it, but...

Had a mini-binge last night to catch up on recent Task Master episodes and nearly died laughing. Literally. I was actually choking. But there would be worse ways to go.

Still chuckling this morning at the thought of turning up to the office and having to explain, "Sorry I'm late for work - Johnny Vegas put me in a Christmas tree bagging machine."

I was a massive fan of this when it was on Dave.   It's good to say they haven't dumbed it down at all moving over to C4.

« Reply #1840 on: 27 November, 2020, 01:03:14 pm »
I know what you mean, but sometimes it's a case of 'the dumber the funnier' in Taskmaster.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1841 on: 28 November, 2020, 05:16:16 pm »
having a look to see what is on to avoid "The Dancing Program" this evening, I spotted 2 hours of Dire Straits on Sky Arts, from the Alchemy era

Update - and that has reminded me why Mark Knopfler is one of my all time guitar heroes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1842 on: 05 December, 2020, 04:48:38 pm »
I do not like you Falke from Hamburg
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/inspector-falke
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1843 on: 15 December, 2020, 06:58:48 pm »
Mrs B and I are watching Fanny Cradocks Christmas cookery.  (It's called something like that).
It's absolutely hilarious and the food is appalling, which is also amusing.
We've not picked up any tips.
From the 70s and era of austerity and the three day week, it is interesting how concerned she is about economy and saving money.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #1844 on: 15 December, 2020, 07:47:31 pm »
Utopia, on that Amazon. Chosen fairly randomly and not at all what I expected from the blurb. Lots more killing for a start. No idea where it's going, probably one of those end-of-season-never-renewed cliffhangers. Bonus points for the boss bad being called Doctor Rabbit.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1845 on: 15 December, 2020, 09:58:26 pm »
Winter Walks on BBC1, and Whitehouse and Mortimer fishing around the Boro area for Xmas. On i-Player.  If you’re of the Tees Valley persuasion there’s lots of familiar territory.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1846 on: 15 December, 2020, 10:02:56 pm »
The final, final series of French we're-shit-and-we-know-we-are cop show Spiral starts on 2nd Jan

« Reply #1847 on: 16 December, 2020, 12:09:06 am »
The Expanse, Season 5 - starts on Amazon. 

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1848 on: 16 December, 2020, 12:37:26 am »
The final, final series of French we're-shit-and-we-know-we-are cop show Spiral starts on 2nd Jan

What, another one ???  How are they going to pull that off with Gilou in the slammer, Tin-Tin working for the Complaints and Laure not being totally nut-nuts any more?

« Reply #1849 on: 16 December, 2020, 08:55:08 pm »

What, another one ???  How are they going to pull that off with Gilou in the slammer, Tin-Tin working for the Complaints and Laure not being totally nut-nuts any more?

And Juuuuge Roban’s gone too.  Ah, but will Maitre Karlsson return..... (Confession, we didn’t last through all of series 7).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)