Author Topic: Vegan recipes.  (Read 45849 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Vegan recipes.
« on: 08 July, 2015, 02:12:56 pm »
I know there are some of you hiding out there. What are your favourite vegan recipes?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Vegan recipes.
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2015, 02:44:16 pm »

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2015, 08:59:24 pm »
There are some delicious raw vegan recipes on this marvellous blog: http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2015, 09:35:00 pm »
There are some vegan recipes in the recipe thread, but not marked as vegan.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2015, 09:53:55 pm »
Aubergine & chickpea tagine

Serves 4.

1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled & chopped
2 celery stalks, trimmed & sliced
1 small leek, washed, trimmed & sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cinnamon
400g chopped tomatoes (I use 2 tins as I find one is too dry)
1 large aubergine, diced into 2 cm pieces
2 small red peppers, deseeded & diced
2 small yellow peppers, deseeded & diced
1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
410 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 300g dried ones soaked overnight then boiled for an hour)
1 handful fresh basil
1 handful fresh coriander

Place the oil in a tagine or covered casserole dish and warm gently over a low heat. Add the onions, celery, leek and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add all the spices, tomatoes and vegetables and cook for a further 3 minutes.

Mix the bouillon with 2 tablespoons of boiling water and add to the tagine. Lower the heat and simmer for 40-50 minutes.

Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Add the fresh herbs and serve from the dish with brown rice.

Lentil stew.

Serves 4.

225g brown lentils
2 onions, peeled & finely chopped
1 vegetable stock cube
4 carrots, trimmed, peeled and chopped
1/2 a butternut squash, peeled, deseeded & chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled & diced
4 small white potatoes, peeled & diced
1 celery stalk, trimmed & chopped
50g fresh garden peas (or frozen)
100g watercress
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp tamari sauce

Soak the lentils in cold water for 20 minutes, then rinse thoroughly and drain. Place the onions and stock cube in a saucepan with 750ml water and bring to the boil. Add the lentils, carrots, sweet potato, squash and white potatoes. Bring back to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the celery  :sick: and simmer for a further 5 minutes.

Add the peas, watercress, dill and tamari and serve.

You can add extra water and stock and bung it in the blender to turn it into soup.

Potato & aubergine curry

Ingredients:
1-2 tsp chilli powder (depending how hot you like it)
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin (or to taste)
1 tsp ground coriander or to taste
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp tomato paste
60g vegetable oil
450g aubergines, sliced
1-2 tsp cumin seeds
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 fresh hot green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
450g canned crushed tomatoes, with juice, or peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
4 medium potatoes, cut in cubes and steamed til tender
170g Linda McCartney vegetarian burgers, cooked and cubed (optional)
Fresh coriander for garnish

Mix the spices, salt and tomato paste with 1 tbsp of the oil in a small bowl. Spread the spice mixture over the cut sides of the aubergine slices. Cut the slices into strips. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the cumin seeds until they begin to pop. Add the aubergine strips and grated ginger and turn the heat down. Cover and cook for 8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add the chilli, tomatoes and potatoes with 3-4 tbsp water and simmer, covered tightly, for 15-20 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add the browned vegetarian burger pieces, and mix well. Serve garnished with the coriander leaves.

Aubergines in a north-south sauce

4 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
1/8 teaspoon ground asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon skinned urad dal or yellow split peas
1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji) if available
1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
675g/1 1/2 lb aubergine cut into 2/5cm/1" chunks
2 medium tomatoes, grated
250ml/8fl oz chicken stock or water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Pour the oil into a very large frying pan  and set over a medium-high heat. When hot, put in the asafoetida and the urad dal. As soon as the dal turns a shade darker, add the mustard, cumin, nigella and fennel seeds in that order. When the mustard seeds start to pop, add the onion. Stir and fry for 1 minute. Add the garlic and the aubergines. Stir and fry for 4/5 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned.

Add the tomatoes, stock, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix, and bring to the boil. Cover, lower the heat and cook gently for about 20 minutes, or until the aubergines are tender, stirring now and then.

Green lentils with green beans and fresh coriander
Serves 4-6

250g/9oz green lentils
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
115g/4oz green beans, cut into 2cm/3/4" segments
60g/2oz finely chopped fresh coriander
3 tablespoons olive oil or rapeseed oil
1/8 teaspoon ground asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 medium shallot, peeled and sliced into fine slivers
lemon wedges (optional)

Put the lentils into a medium saucepan with 950ml/34 fl oz water and bring to the boil. Cover partially, lower the heat and simmer very gently for 20 minutes. Add the salt, cayenne pepper, green beans and coriander. Stir to mix, bring back to the boil, cover partially and simmer very gently for a further 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.

Pour the oil into a small frying pan and set over a medium high heat. When hot, put in the asafoetida and cumin. Let the seeds sizzle for 10 seconds. Add the shallot. Stir and fry over a medium heat until it turns reddish. Pour the entire contents of the frying pan into the pan with the lentils. Stir to mix. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.

Spinach with black-eyed beans - recipe says serves 4 but I think more like 3

3 tbsp vegetable oil
rounded 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
2-4 dried red chillies
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated to a paste
14 fresh curry leaves
250g whole leaf spinach, shredded, or baby leaf spinach, well washed
salt, to taste
lots of freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 rounded tsp ground cumin
400g can of black-eyed beans, drained well and rinsed
1 1/2 - 2 tsp tamarind paste
good handful of roasted salted peanuts

Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan. Add the mustard, fenugreek seeds and chillies. Once the mustard seeds have spluttered, add the garlic and curry leaves and cook gently until the garlic is just starting to turn golden. Add the spinach, seasoning and a splash of water, mix well and cover. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the spinach is well wilted, stirring occasionally. Add the coriander and cumin, half the black-eyed beans and a splash of water. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes. Take out one-third of the mix and blend to a fine puree. Return to the pan with the remaining beans. Stir in the tamarind paste and peanuts. Boil off any excess water until you are left with a thick creamy mass. Taste, adjust the seasoning, add more tamarind paste if you want more tang, and serve.

Tangy chickpea curry

Serves 4-5

12g fresh root ginger, peeled weight
4 fat garlic cloves
2 largish tomatoes, quartered
5-6 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cloves
4 green cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
2 large shards cinnamon
2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 green chillies, whole but pierced
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp ground coriander
1/4-1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt, to taste
2 x 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2-2/3 tsp tamarind paste or dried pomegranate powder, or to taste
handful of finely chopped fresh coriander

Blend together the ginger, garlic and tomatoes with a little water until smooth. Set aside.

Roast half the cumin seeds in a small dry pan for about 40 seconds, stirring constantly, until they have darkened quite a bit. Grind to a fine powder. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the cloves, cardamom pods,  cinnamon and half the cumin seeds and cook until they release their aroma and start to crackle. Add the green chillies and onion and cook until the onion is well browned. Add the tomato paste with the turmeric, ground coriander, chilli powder and salt, and cook over a moderate to high heat until the oil comes out at the sides (around 15 minutes), stirring often.

Add the roasted cumin powder to the pot.

Add the chickpeas and 500ml water. Bring to a boil, then simmer over a medium heat for 7 or 8 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and tamarind paste. Mash a few of the chickpeas on the side of the pan to thicken the sauce a little. Taste for seasoning and tartness, adjusting if necessary, then sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve.

Okra and aubergine spicy masala

Serves 4

3 tbsp vegetable oil
pinch of fenugreek seeds
pinch of fennel seeds  :sick:
2-3 cardamom pods
2cm cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
150g okra, cut into pieces
150g aubergine, cut into pieces
salt
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, garlic and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown.

Add the turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander and tomato puree and stir well, then cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and 500ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is thick.

Add the okra and aubergine to the sauce with salt to taste, and stir thoroughly. Cover and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes or until the okra and aubergine become tender. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2015, 12:00:04 pm »
If you've got access to a Chinese supermarket you can make some truly delicious vegan recipes. So many Chinese recipes have superfluous additions of pork which (depending on the quantity) can be ignored or substituted for a mixture of dried and fresh mushrooms. This recipe for Mapo Doufu is pretty good. A go-to book for Chinese food for me is Fuchsia Dunlop's 'Every Grain of Rice'. She gives variations on dishes that are often vegan.

Also, Aubergine No-Meat Meatballs on the Abel & Cole website are proper lush. I think Jack Monroe did a recipe based on this too. In fact, her blog is an excellent source of proper tasty vegan recipes.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2015, 01:56:46 pm »
I'm not vegan but I am veggie and I cook a lot of curries, partly because I love them, and partly because the combination of pulses and some yogurt helps improve my protein intake. I'm not good enough to make curries out of my own head, but I use the books of Madhur Jaffrey, Anjum Anand and Kaushy Patel. A lot of the recipes are vegan, and they're generally delicious.

FatBloke

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2015, 02:57:44 am »
Thanks for all those EC!   :thumbsup:

lahoski:  Where I live we have nothing but Chinese supermarkets!  Also Chinese doctors, dentists, construction workers, postmen, taxi drivers, restaurants, teachers, neighbours etc., etc., etc.   ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2015, 07:47:26 am »
I am far too lazy to follow recipes!

When I can be arsked to cook and not just 'assemble on a plate' I mostly fry some stuff (onion, mushroom, courgette or all the above) in a drop of cold pressed rapeseed oil, add some vegetables and a vegan protein source (tofu, beans, nuts, whatever) and whatever seasoning/sauce is available and serve with carbs.   :thumbsup:

Also make a lot of bean/chickpea spreads for toast - chuck can of beans in food processor - add cold pressed oil (rapeseed, hemp, olive), a drop of balsamic, a little sugar (it takes the edge of the vinegar) and some fresh basil, salt and pepper.  Whizz until pate consistency.

Pasties are easy with the ready roll stuff in supermarkets normally vegan. 
Does not play well with others

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2015, 09:34:19 pm »
Also, Aubergine No-Meat Meatballs on the Abel & Cole website are proper lush.

Proper lush indeed! Had to fudge the recipe a bit, but I'll defintiely be making/scoffing those again! Thanks for the tip, lahoski  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2015, 10:31:27 pm »
Take one Vegan.
Slice it thinly.
Fry it in lard.
;)

We held the first ever vegan football match here last year. We've got a vegan cafe opening in town soon, I'm looking forward to it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2015, 06:27:44 pm »
Lemony Spinach & Vegetable Hotpot

Serves 5-6

20g root ginger, (peeled weight)
3 fat garlic cloves, peeled
4 large tomatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons     vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 rounded teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon   turmeric
1 rounded teaspoon garam masala
salt, to taste
1 large-ish carrot, peeled and chopped into 2 cm pieces
1/2 large aubergine, cut into 2 cm pieces
1 potato, peeled and cut into 2 cm pieces
4 tablespoons     bengal gram, soaked for two hours, or as long as possible
500g baby spinach, washed
15g     dill fronds, roughly chopped or 25g coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves, crumbled between your fingers
1-1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Using a stick blender, blend together the ginger and garlic with a little water until smooth. Set aside. Again using the stick blender, blend the tomatoes until smooth. Set these aside as well.

Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add the onion and cook until just soft. Add the blended ginger and garlic and cook until the liquid has dried up and the garlic turns lightly golden. Add the tomatoes, spices and salt and bring to the boil; simmer for five minutes.

Add the carrot, aubergine and potato and give the pan a good stir. Sprinkle over the drained lentils, but do not stir them in. Place the spinach, herbs and fenugreek on top and pour in 200 ml of water. Without stirring the pan, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer on a gentle flame until yieldingly soft, around 1–1¼ hours.

Uncover and, if you like, mash the vegetables and spinach together until homogeneous (this is how the authentic recipe is made; some prefer to leave the vegetables whole). Add the lemon juice to taste and adjust the seasoning. Simmer off any excess water as the stew cooks for another 15 minutes and becomes creamy, then serve.

Keralan Coconut Curry (serves 4)

400g sweet potatoes, peeled, in 3 cm chunks (or other starchy veg - I sometimes use butternut squash and/or carrot)
100g greens or spinach, washed and shredded
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

4 tablespoons    vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 onion, finely chopped
3-5 green chillies, whole but pierced with the tip of a knife
25g    root ginger, finely chopped, (peeled weight)
5 fat garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
salt, to taste
1/2-2/3 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons ground coriander
3/4-1 teaspoon ground cumin
400ml creamy coconut milk
1/2-3/4 teaspoon tamarind paste, dissolved in a little hot water, to taste
3/4 teaspoon garam masala, or to taste
knob coconut cream
lots    freshly ground pepper

Put the sweet potatoes on to boil and cook until just done; it should take around 10 minutes.

Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan and add the mustard seeds. Once the popping diminishes, add the onion and green chillies and sauté for two to three minutes or until just softening, then add the ginger and garlic; sauté these gently for one minute. Add the tomatoes, salt, turmeric and ground coriander and cumin and keep sautéing for four to five minutes. Now taste; it should seem harmonious and the tomatoes should be soft but still retain their form.

Add the coconut milk and a splash of water. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for five to seven minutes. Add the greens and cook for a few minutes, then add the drained sweet potatoes, the chickpeas, most of the tamarind, the garam masala and coconut cream. Taste, adjust the seasoning, adding more tamarind to taste, and serve.

« Reply #12 on: 06 September, 2015, 07:14:44 pm »
Thank you EC for your  recipes!  We tried the aubergine and chickpeas tajine tonight. It was really excellent, together with a nice bottle of vegan red wine  ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 04 December, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »
I can recommend this one:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/chickpea-potato-and-spinach-jalfrezi-with-cilantro-chutney-recipe.html

We did make rather a lot of it and I had to eat it three nights running, but maybe you have a large family.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2015, 12:22:20 am »

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2016, 05:36:31 pm »
Rasam with Gourd and Toor Lentils
2 tablespoons coconut oil or sesame oil
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 onion, thinly sliced
thumb-sized piece of root ginger, pulverised into a paste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
200g gourd or squash, cut into small cubes
250g toor dal
1 tablespoon tamarind puree
10-12 fresh or dried curry leaves
1 teaspoon dried crushed red chilli (optional)

Heat the oil in a pan, and when hot, throw in the mustard seeds. A few seconds later add the onion, ginger, garlic, turmeric and chilli powder. When they become creamy and translucent, add the dal with 500ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer until the dal is cooked. Stir in the gourd and the tamarind puree and simmer until the gourd is cooked (5-10 minutes). Add the curry leaves and crushed chilli near the end of the cooking time, cover the pan and take it off the heat. The consistency should be on the thick side, like baked beans. Serve hot with rice.

Green Banana Satay
100g red-skinned peanuts, finely chopped or blended
2 teaspoons chickpea flour, sieved
1.25 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2-4 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
100ml sunflower oil
4 green unripe bananas, in their skins, washed and dried

3-5 fresh green chillies, seeds in
3-6 garlic cloves
4cm root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
pinch of salt

Crush the chillies, garlic and ginger together with a pinch of salt to make a fine masala paste.

Put the chopped peanuts and chickpea flour into a bowl and mix together well, using your fingertips. If you feel you might want to take your contact lenses out in the next couple of hours, do it now. Add the masala paste, salt, sugar, coriander, cumin, fresh coriander, turmeric, cumin seeds and oil, and mix them into the flour and peanuts, using your hands. Work everything into a rich paste then set aside for 15 minutes.

Do not peel the bananas. Chop them into thirds, then cut each piece lengthways into quarters, leaving the last centimetre or so intact at one end to hold them together. Open the banana pieces and spread the cut surfaces with the paste. Place the pieces in a large frying pan, and scoop any leftover paste into the pan and dot between the banana pieces.  Place the pan over a high heat and cook for 1 minute. Pour 300ml warm water into the bowl, swill it around to loosen the last of the paste, and pour carefully into the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and leave to cook for one minute. Reduce the heat to very low and leave to cook for 13-15 minutes, carefully turning the banana pieces every 3-5 minutes. Serve with paratha and tomato relish.

Bottle Gourd and Split Chickpea Curry
300g chana dal (Bengal gram, split skinned black chickpeas)
150ml sunflower oil, plus 1 teaspoon
4 dried red chillies
1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
2 teaspoons carom seeds
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
1 medium bottle gourd, peeled and chopped into 1.5cm cubes
1 teaspoon turmeric
2-4 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 handful fresh coriander, finely chopped

2-6 fresh green chillies, seeds in
2-4 garlic cloves
3cm root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
pinch of salt

Rinse the chana dal 3 times in warm water then put it into a large pan with 1 litre of boiling water. Bring to the boil over a high heat and cook for a couple of minutes until it starts to foam. Skim the froth from the surface add the teaspoon of oil and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, three-quarters covered, for about 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding another 250ml boiling water as and when needed to keep the dal covered. When the dal is soft and cooked through, drain and set aside.

Crush the chillies, garlic and ginger together with the pinch of salt to make a fine masala paste.

Heat the 150ml oil in a large pan for 30 seconds over a medium heat, then add the dried chillies. As soon as they start to brown, add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start to pop, add the carom seeds, asafoetida and gourd. Mix gently, then stir in the masala paste, turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt and sugar. Pour in 200ml boiling water, stir, turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick. Add another 100ml boiling water, cover the pan and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring every so often.

Add the dal to the bottle gourd mix, stir gently and cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat. Remove from the heat, stir in the garam masala sprinkle with the chopped coriander, and leave to rest, covered, for at least ten minutes. Reheat, serve with puri and rai marcha.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 20 May, 2016, 11:08:49 pm »
The problem with all this vegan malarky is that it makes me remarkably farty.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:42:41 pm »
The problem with all this vegan malarky is that it makes me many folk remarkably farty.

FTFY...

dim

« Reply #18 on: 01 June, 2016, 08:37:30 pm »
I'm a meat eater (I eat meat at least 5 times a week), but my daughter decided to 'become vegetarian' a while back (she still eats my smoked BBQ spare ribs, or my version of Nando's peri peri chicken done on the BBQ though  ::-)

here are a few links to good vegan/vegetarian recipes that she uses often:

http://www.findingvegan.com/

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2016, 04:12:07 pm »
Msa'aa

Serves: 4
Preheat the oven to 400ºF/200°C/Gas Mark 6.

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2-inch/5-cm chunks
2 courgettes, chopped into 1-inch/2.5-cm pieces
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 aubergines, chopped into 1-2-inch/2.5-5-cm chunks
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into 1½-inch/4-cm chunks
2 onions, finely chopped
7 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Lebanese 7-Spice Seasoning (see above)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 sprig thyme or rosemary
6 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 (14-oz/400-g) can chickpeas, drained
scant ½ cup (3½ fl oz/ 100 ml) vegetable broth (stock)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
sea salt and pepper
brown rice, to serve (optional)

Arrange the sweet potato and courgette chunks in a large roasting pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Toss well, then roast for 10 minutes.

Add the aubergine and bell pepper to the pan and roast, stirring occasionally, for another 15 minutes.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat, add the onions and garlic, and gently cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the spices and the thyme or rosemary and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetable broth (stock), and balsamic vinegar and cook for 10 minutes.

Take the pan of roasted vegetables out of the oven and add the sauce from the pan. Stir to combine in the roasting pan.

Wrap the top of the pan in aluminium foil. Return to the oven and roast for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the vegetables to soak up the sauce.

Remove the foil, stir, and return to the oven to cook for another 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven, stir again, and let cool for a few minutes. Remove the thyme or rosemary sprig and serve piled on top of hot brown rice, if desired.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #20 on: 04 September, 2016, 02:39:15 pm »
Toor Dal with Corn

Serves 4-5

210g toor dal or similar, washed and drained
.25 tsp ground turmeric
1 fresh corn cob, cut crossways into 1" pieces
1.25 tsp salt
.25-.75 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tbsp olive oil, rapeseed oil or ghee
.125 tsp asafoetida
3 cloves
.5 tsp whole cumin seeds
.5 tsp brown mustard seeds
2 red dried chillis

Put the dal and 1 litre of water into a medium pan, bring to the boil and skim off the froth that rises to the top. Lower the heat and add the turmeric. Stir, cover partially, and simmer gently for 1 hour.
Add the corn, salt, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and sugar to the pan. Stir, cover partially again, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Heat the oil in a small frying pan When it is very hot, add the asafoetida, cloves, cumin and mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds pop, pour the contents of the frying pan into the dal. Stir and serve.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #21 on: 04 September, 2016, 03:12:33 pm »
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

Serves 4

120g red or mixed quinoa, rinsed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
1 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or approx 115g dried chickpeas, soaked and cooked)
1 tsp ground cumin
4 red peppers, halved and seeded
handful chopped parsley leaves  :sick:
salt and pepper

Sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
100g tomato puree
1 tsp Lebanese 7-spice seasoning (buy it ready made or grind your own)
salt and pepper

Cook the quinoa in 250ml water for about 12 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and the water is all absorbed. Drain, rinse, squeeze, set aside in a large bowl
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and yellow pepper together for a few minutes. Add the chickpeas and cumin, and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then tip it all into the bowl with the quinoa and mix everything together.

Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/GM5.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, then add the onion and cook until slightly golden. Add the tomato puree and 800ml boiling water. Cook for 10 mins on a rolling boil, then add the 7-spice and salt and pepper. Pour the sauce into an ovenproof dish and set aside.

Fill the red pepper halves with the stufffing and sink them into the sauce in the ovenproof dish. Any leftover stuffing can be added to the sauce to help it thicken. Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, add parsley and serve.

FatBloke

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23 on: 17 December, 2016, 06:52:10 am »
My wife's a veggie and did a blog a while ago, I'll see if I can find a link anywhere.  All traditional Indian recipes and many of them vegan or easily adaptable

http://rekhaneilson.co.uk/about-food-for-thought/

There you go, easier than I thought, linked from her main site
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 17 December, 2016, 02:36:20 pm »
M'learned cohab is getting a big bloggy with her plant-based cooking.  I can vouch for her recipies, they are all rather tasty:

http://www.julianscolander.com/
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk