Author Topic: Experiences of Teh Plague  (Read 85591 times)

Re: Experiences of Teh Plague
« Reply #275 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:49:04 pm »
Long covid sucks (I think I've said that already).

As with ME/CFS, any viral infection seems to trigger a resurgence.

Both MrsC and I caught a nasty cold over Christmas (negative LFD and PCR). I got better, she didn't, symptoms drifted to matching long covid (sense of smell gone, exhaustion, persistent cough, joint pain).

She still had some medication in date from previous bought so started taking that; decent improvement within 24hrs.

The somewhat helpful treatment seems to be a steroidal inhaler and antihistamines.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #276 on: 19 January, 2022, 06:14:53 pm »
Long covid sucks (I think I've said that already).

As with ME/CFS, any viral infection seems to trigger a resurgence.

Both MrsC and I caught a nasty cold over Christmas (negative LFD and PCR). I got better, she didn't, symptoms drifted to matching long covid (sense of smell gone, exhaustion, persistent cough, joint pain).

She still had some medication in date from previous bought so started taking that; decent improvement within 24hrs.

The somewhat helpful treatment seems to be a steroidal inhaler and antihistamines.
There does seem to be a nasty cold around. My wife got it over Christmas and is just about clear. Got it from following a teacher at the lectern and using a microphone without a mask. Teacher came to the service stating she had a bad cold but not COVID.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #277 on: 19 January, 2022, 06:18:33 pm »
I agree, it is much harder for people with no sickpay... A few people I know who had cleaners paid them during the first lockdown and similar but I suspect they were a significant minority and others may have financially been unable to sustain that. It's easier if you have a private arrangement than via some agency or similar.

I don't know what would happen if I got Covid. I've used all my sick leave (and then some) with surgery and had to top up phased return with annual leave. I think my employer is still counting Covid separately but I'm honestly not sure and am still aiming to avoid getting it regardless of fuckwitted government Plan A, no masks etc.

« Reply #278 on: 24 January, 2022, 02:33:20 pm »
Woke up yesterday with horribly itchy rash round feet, ankles (my poor ankles, also beloved of bitey insects), knees and hands. Took my rings off as hands are slightly swollen.

Seems that this is not uncommon in 1-2 weeks after infection. Luckily I have prescription antihistamines on hand which seem to be helping.

Still feel wiped out and foggy.

« Reply #279 on: 25 January, 2022, 09:18:14 am »
My 9yo nephew has been returning negative LFTs but was sent home from school on Monday as he wasn't himself. Classic Aches and Fever. He has returned a positive PCR overnight. Unfortunately I spent Sunday afternoon helping him with a STEM activity box so a couple of hours of close contact, I expect I will be unwell by the end of the week, though hopefully I will dodge it.

« Reply #280 on: 25 January, 2022, 06:42:32 pm »
My wife had a cold over new year with 7 negative LFTs, no cough, no loss of sense of smell. Now she is still below normal, her asthma has flared up and she is now off work.

I suspect in retrospect she had a low viral load case of Omicron.

« Reply #281 on: 26 January, 2022, 09:03:56 am »
I am writing as a confirmed hypochondriac - but there again, aren’t most cyclists?

For the past few months my body has been misbehaving. I’ve been feeling very tired and lethargic. I’ve been cycling inside on a Wattbike, but outside seems incredibly hard, and leaves me wasted for several days. I have muscle aches, and I can document a reduction in cycling power. I have breathing difficulties.
Weirdly, I’ve developed new allergies. My hands have a sore rash, and peeling skin. I’ve never been Coeliac, but now, after trying to track down digestive issues, it seems I am. ( for context, there is an autoimmune issue in the family genetics)
A lot seems to chime with “ long Covid”, but I haven’t been diagnosed with Covid, or tested positive. Before we’d even heard of Covid, my daughter, who was travelling regularly to “ real” China ( not the tourist spots), had a fluey sort of illness. Generally, since Covid became a “ thing” we’ve all been avoiding people, even close relatives.
Maybe I’m imagining it, maybe I’m looking for an excuse for poor performance.
I’m 71, with osteoarthritis ( prescribed pain killers used to be able to cycle), again, for context.

« Reply #282 on: 26 January, 2022, 12:12:57 pm »
Well outside my expertise but if you have developed new digestive symptoms after a bad weather year and possibly being indoors more, I would be looking at upping my Vit D, other vitamisns and trace elements.  Any digestive problem will lead to less absorption.

« Reply #283 on: 26 January, 2022, 12:46:32 pm »
I am writing as a confirmed hypochondriac - but there again, aren’t most cyclists?

That would be a new one on me, most definitely not a hypochondriac

« Reply #284 on: 26 January, 2022, 01:11:46 pm »

I don’t think I’ve ever got changed in a cycle race changing room without a game of health top trumps going on.

« Reply #285 on: 26 January, 2022, 01:29:58 pm »

I don’t think I’ve ever got changed in a cycle race changing room without a game of health top trumps going on.

They are probably just sandbagging you

« Reply #286 on: 26 January, 2022, 02:09:20 pm »

For the past few months my body has been misbehaving. I’ve been feeling very tired and lethargic. I’ve been cycling inside on a Wattbike, but outside seems incredibly hard, and leaves me wasted for several days. I have muscle aches, and I can document a reduction in cycling power. I have breathing difficulties.
Weirdly, I’ve developed new allergies. My hands have a sore rash, and peeling skin. I’ve never been Coeliac, but now, after trying to track down digestive issues, it seems I am. ( for context, there is an autoimmune issue in the family genetics)
A lot seems to chime with “ long Covid”, but I haven’t been diagnosed with Covid, or tested positive. Before we’d even heard of Covid, my daughter, who was travelling regularly to “ real” China ( not the tourist spots), had a fluey sort of illness. Generally, since Covid became a “ thing” we’ve all been avoiding people, even close relatives.
Maybe I’m imagining it, maybe I’m looking for an excuse for poor performance.
I’m 71, with osteoarthritis ( prescribed pain killers used to be able to cycle), again, for context.

Vitamin D is cheap and it is sensible for all of us to take it. Particularly us desk workers.

One key symptom on long covid is histamine reactions. My wife had reactions on her face; strange, linear swellings, sore and red like a rash.

The treatment was standard antihistamines, the same ones you'd take for hayfever. Loratadine is one.

Worth trying VitD and some loratadine I reckon. Won't do any harm.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #287 on: 26 January, 2022, 02:11:17 pm »

I suspect most cyclists do not use cycle race changing rooms.

« Reply #288 on: 26 January, 2022, 09:01:09 pm »

I suspect most cyclists do not use cycle race changing rooms.
Very wise!

« Reply #289 on: 26 January, 2022, 09:02:38 pm »
Many thanks for people’s thoughts, some useful areas to investigate.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #290 on: 26 January, 2022, 09:27:03 pm »
On the subject of vitamin D, what is the current consensus about whether or not most people are deficient?
This paper suggests it may be over hyped but I don't know enough to know if it's fake news or what, credibility ratings suggest the site is OK but in that case why isn't it being shared more that we needn't generally worry?.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #291 on: 26 January, 2022, 09:57:22 pm »
That article seems to be mainly focused on fractures, and not other things that  Vit D may be helpful for.
Also it said the BMJ study was across many different countries in the world, so I wonder how little data comes from places like up here, with not as much sunlight and more gingers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/31/add-vitamin-d-bread-milk-help-fight-covid-urge-scientists-deficiency-supplements

Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #292 on: 27 January, 2022, 06:34:13 am »
I think the paper is persuasive that Vit D does not prevent fractures! 

But what is deficiency, what other factors should be included and do we get enough sunshine?

Our lifestyle is significantly more indoors than previous generations (I think) and normal levels have not been done (to my knowledge) in roadworkers for example with their tops off as soon as the sun comes out!

I will continue my supplement 

« Reply #293 on: 27 January, 2022, 07:21:52 am »

My wife had a cold over new year with 7 negative LFTs, no cough, no loss of sense of smell. Now she is still below normal, her asthma has flared up and she is now off work.
Similar to my story - I too suspect a low level case of Omicron.
Multiple negative LFTs, streaming cold, itchy throat, no cough, no headache, no loss of smell. Now I have recurrent diorhhea and altered sleep.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #294 on: 27 January, 2022, 09:12:40 am »

Similar to my story - I too suspect a low level case of Omicron.
Multiple negative LFTs, streaming cold, itchy throat, no cough, no headache, no loss of smell. Now I have recurrent diorhhea and altered sleep.
Yesterday I got her to do a 30 min gentle online pilates class and she had to sit down for 30 minutes afterwards.  She is used to doing 60+minutes of much more strenuous classes normally.  She is not even arguing about taking a second week on light duties

ian

« Reply #295 on: 27 January, 2022, 09:28:04 am »
On the subject of vitamin D, what is the current consensus about whether or not most people are deficient?
This paper suggests it may be over hyped but I don't know enough to know if it's fake news or what, credibility ratings suggest the site is OK but in that case why isn't it being shared more that we needn't generally worry?.

Vitamin D isn't, despite the name, viewed as a vitamin these days – it's a hormone. There's a valid point that we don't see a lot of sunshine given our lifestyles these days and the northern hemisphere in winter. It's also valid that a huge industry has grown up around convincing us we're deficient in things that we're probably not. I think that if you eat enough foods with vitamin D (and have a balanced diet in general, do occasionally go outside) it's unlikely to be a problem.

« Reply #296 on: 27 January, 2022, 10:55:11 am »

Those with a vegetarian diet probably get less vitamin d from their food and vegans even less. I understand it doesn't matter how much you go outside in winter in the UK, the sun isn't strong enough to make vitamin D between late Sept-early March. I guess that's why NHS advice is to take a supplement. I don't think it is just about fractures either.

I continue to struggle to throw off the effects of plague. Decided to spend a few minutes flattening some cardboard for the recycling yesterday morning (it's amazing how much you accumulate when stuck indoors getting everything delivered) and felt absolutely wiped out after. Still quite snotty and woke myself up with a coughing fit this morning. Itchy rash comes and goes. Migraine in the middle of the night but that's standard procedure for me.

I am working, but if I'm doing a task that I don't need three screens for, I tend to retire under a blanket on the sofa with my laptop.

Given that prior to this I'd spent every weekend going on long walks with the dog (sometimes with 12kg of dog and rucksack on my back if the dog got tired or struggled with the surface, she is a tripod) I am incredibly fed up (and so is the dog). I can manage half an hour pottering around the park next door with her each day.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #297 on: 27 January, 2022, 08:04:07 pm »
Sneezy afternoon at work today (cleaner had been de-stooring the floors).
Bunged up feeling this evening, and a bit of a tickly throat.
Negative lateral flow.

Will do another test tomorrow morning.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #298 on: 28 January, 2022, 12:00:38 am »
D now has strongly positive LFT.
He has snots and sneezles, no cough, no anosmia.
My LFt is very faintly positive.
I have mild snots and sneezles.
Await events and PCR for antivirals as I'm vulnerable.

« Reply #299 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:15:01 am »
Oh no  :(
Hope if you have caught it the symptoms get no worse.