Author Topic: Building a Bob Jackson, what to do, where to start  (Read 7777 times)

Building a Bob Jackson, what to do, where to start
« on: 28 April, 2019, 04:35:13 pm »
Hi Folks.

I like cycling. I like audax. I like single-speed but don't have one.
I stumbled on some lovely looking bicycle frames (Bob Jackson) and the 'Audax end-to-end' looked nice and has horizontal drop outs.
I figured this could be made into a ss bike that would be ace.
What should I do next, what components would I need (and where from), what sizes do 'things' need to be.
Should such a task be handled by someone who has little clue of what to do (but loves cycling and has done for many years)?!

Cheers,

Doo
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

dat

Re: Building a Bob Jackson, what to do, where to start
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2019, 06:56:03 pm »
Here is my Bob Jackson vigorelli for inspiration. You'd be better getting a Vigorelli rather than an Audax as the rear end is 120mm meaning you can use most track hubs.

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2019, 07:29:09 pm »
Dat DAT is a rather super looking awesome machine. The Vigorelli does look the bees knees (is more expensive mind) and makes sense about the spacing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2019, 07:30:54 pm »
What is the rear hub at the moment, if it has one?  Any screw-on freewheel hub (the best quality ones will be pre-1990) will do for SS.  You don't need a track hub.  Chainline is the tricky bit.  Aim for about 46mm at the back and most road cranks will work on a shorter BB than originally intended.  Track bikes usually run more like 42.5mm but this generally requires real track cranks.

You need to get a 2 foot straight edge to check chainline.  Rear triangles are rarely straight and you can't just slap on matching kit and expect it to be millimetre-perfect.

Try a gear of about 60" to start with (42 × 18).  You can go to 42 x 16 later if you like mashing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

dat

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2019, 07:47:28 pm »
Are you looking at a new frame? The vigorelli is one of the cheap BJ framesets. It does get more expensive once you've added on mudguard bosses, rear brake and an extra bottle cage. Mine came in at around £750 shipped and that included upgraded tubing on the frame and forks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2019, 07:58:21 pm »
If you're using mudguards and a rear rim brake, forward-facing sloping dropouts are less hassle; the wheel comes out easily and the brake pads will stay in the right place on the rim as you take up chain wear.  Track ends aren't really designed for rear brakes and are a PITA with mudguards.  My old Inbred had this combination.

dat

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:59:39 pm »
If you're using mudguards and a rear rim brake, forward-facing sloping dropouts are less hassle; the wheel comes out easily and the brake pads will stay in the right place on the rim as you take up chain wear.  Track ends aren't really designed for rear brakes and are a PITA with mudguards.  My old Inbred had this combination.
I agree with the mudguards to an extent* but if you are changing your chain when it has elongated 1/16" over 24 links the difference between new and fully stretched would mean moving your wheel back 1/8". Not really enough to make a difference at the pads if you set it up correctly.

*With mudguards it is a pain but on my commuting bike (Specialized singlecross) the tyres are big enough at 38mm that when deflated the wheel can be removed without taking off the rear mudguard. Unfortunately I'm not so lucky with my Bob Jackson with 25mm tyres.

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2019, 05:51:48 pm »
Are you looking at a new frame? The vigorelli is one of the cheap BJ framesets. It does get more expensive once you've added on mudguard bosses, rear brake and an extra bottle cage. Mine came in at around £750 shipped and that included upgraded tubing on the frame and forks.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. (I got the Vigorelli confused with the Vulcan).

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2019, 05:57:23 pm »
I'm really in the thinking stage at the mo (cos I don't really know what I'm doing).
I've had 3 ss speed bikes in the past and regret selling them. My fave was actually a converted road bike and I ran 48x18 gearing which I liked. (One was a heavy cycling republic bike which was pretty ace and the other a ss MTB).

I really like the look of the Bob Jacksons frames (and currently ride a steel tandem 531 with my blind buddy, and kinda want to own a steel frame of my own). I don't want my 'project' to become major tricky. I'd like to do audax events and commutes on my ss build.

Thanks all for comments/advice/info etc thus far :)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2019, 08:28:39 pm »
There's a chap in my uni with a very very lovely looking all-city SS with hydraulic discs. Fairly sure it's this one

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/archive/nature_boy_853green

It is a very very pretty bike indeed. Couple of boutique shops stock all-city products in this country but looking online, stock is very low. Not sure many of the frames make their way over here in the first place.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2019, 08:37:18 pm »
There's a chap in my uni with a very very lovely looking all-city SS with hydraulic discs. Fairly sure it's this one

It is a very very pretty bike indeed. Couple of boutique shops stock all-city products in this country but looking online, stock is very low. Not sure many of the frames make their way over here in the first place.

Wow, that is a thing of beauty. What is the price tag I wonder?

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2019, 09:14:04 pm »
I would get an older 531DB frame with horizontal dropouts and a £200 respray including decals.  It will work out cheaper and you can even get a Bob Jackson if you like (I have a soft spot for Harry Quinns, personally).  60s frames designed for 5 speed have 120mm spacing but the refinishers can cold set to whatever you like.

bludger

« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2019, 09:30:09 am »

Couldn't tell you but since he brings it inside to his office when he visits I'm guessing it ain't cheap!

Ban cars.

« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2019, 10:45:19 am »

Couldn't tell you but since he brings it inside to his office when he visits I'm guessing it ain't cheap!

They are pretty, but they're very spendy for quite a chunky frame.
Old-school 531 frames with forward-facing horizontal dropouts make lighter and more practical bikes I think.
I had an old Dave Russell that I resprayed and had the rear end cold set to 130mm to take a modern "track"-style hub and set it up with a vintage Campagnolo road double, run as a single chainring on a 111mm BB to a Miche sprocket carrier. It was fantastically practical.
Also very very light.

For commuting, I would be tempted to run a disc, just to reduce muck that accumulates on the frame from rim brakes, but I do love the spare aesthetic of track bikes.

bludger

« Reply #14 on: 30 April, 2019, 04:54:40 pm »
Full-carbon forks make them substantially lighter, plus 853 tubing is AFAIK basically as light as steel gets. the all-city in that pic is actually marketed as a cyclocross bike.

Ban cars.