Author Topic: Lockdown - has it made driving slower and drivers more courteous?  (Read 42171 times)

Re: Lockdown - has it made driving slower and drivers more courteous?
« Reply #100 on: 08 May, 2020, 09:57:56 pm »
Wow. Now who's the "smug and privileged" one.

That must be the Thatcherite conceit. That nasty stain of classism straight down from Ayn Rand. "Fuck everyone else, I've got mine."

Pedal pedal pedal.

Life is as simple as that.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #101 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:01:21 pm »
I would sooner be a delivery cyclist for the rest of my days than be a sociopathic waste of skin like you.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #102 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:01:48 pm »
Eh?  I'm not forcing anyone to pay taxes? I didn't even vote for this lot, so I take no responsibility for their inaction.

You seem to be accusing me of taking no action on climate, despite me being very clear that I have. Given your concern, and your willingness to make significant changes to the lives of many other people in this country, I'm interested in what actions you have taken to reduce your carbon footprint (aside from not having a car, obviously).

« Reply #103 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:09:39 pm »
He eschewed the life of a corporate high-flyer to become a cycle delivery boy. Pay ain't so good, but his conscience is clean.

bludger

« Reply #104 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:10:50 pm »
It doesn't matter what I've done or haven't done. All that counts for anything is macro scale action to stop the harm i.e. banning cars, ending the hydrocarbon industry, rewilding ruined habitat and so on. Anyone whose main concern is for the wealth of a car company versus my literal life on the line is part of the problem. That is what needs centering not whether I had a bacon butty last Friday.

Ban cars.

« Reply #105 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:10:58 pm »
To answer the question posed in the OP, "Lockdown - has it made driving slower and drivers more courteous?"

Hard to say really, but it could be argued that it's made yacf inhabitants a mite less courteous.

It would be nice if people calmed down a bit and stopped trying to wind other yacfers up quite as much as has been happening.

Please keep it civil.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #106 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:38:06 pm »
It doesn't matter what I've done or haven't done. All that counts for anything is macro scale action to stop the harm i.e. banning cars, ending the hydrocarbon industry, rewilding ruined habitat and so on. Anyone whose main concern is for the wealth of a car company versus my literal life on the line is part of the problem. That is what needs centering not whether I had a bacon butty last Friday.
Good luck with your campaigning.

« Reply #107 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:57:01 pm »
Maybe you need to change how you live then. Instead of just shrugging your shoulders at your own descendants staring down the barrel of a gun because you find change too inconvenient.

It's on the inflicter of harm to clean up their mess. So make an effort. Pay your tab.

If you buy food or any other goods carried on an HGV or van you are part of the infliction of the harm you cite. I trust you are totally self sufficient?

OK.

Being shouty won't win people to your cause, and you are trying to about down those of us who highlight the practical steps needed for change. I never said I am against change, I am not actually- but I do spend quite a bit of my working life explaining reality to people who want something changed but are unwilling to discuss the nuts and bolts of how that might happen.

Effective change doesn't happen by magic or shoutiness, it happens by thinking through the implications and planning the way through.

GC

bludger

« Reply #108 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:06:00 pm »
This entire chat in one image.

Ban cars.

Ben T

« Reply #109 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:17:00 pm »
.... House prices in cities would need to fall a lot so people can live close to work.

Course, I mean if you just banned cars, wouldn't house prices in cities do the exact opposite and absolutely rocket, because all the people that lived in "commuter towns" would now want to be within cycling / public transport distance of their office?
Something bludger singularly fails to appreciate cos it doesn't fit in with his blinkered view of the world.

bludger

« Reply #110 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:19:28 pm »
Oh boy yeah you sure got me. Good one mate. I had no idea that housing was expensive. What a big brain zinger.

Never mind that your own descendants' lives are on the line. Think of the housing market!

Blinkers are fitted to horses to prevent them from seeing the full picture. What an irony that drivists frightened of losing their motoring privileges, given by licence only, would dare to use the term about anyone else.

Ban cars.

Ben T

« Reply #111 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:34:13 pm »
Oh boy yeah you sure got me. Good one mate. I had no idea that housing was expensive. What a big brain zinger.

Never mind that your own descendants' lives are on the line. Think of the housing market!

Blinkers are fitted to horses to prevent them from seeing the full picture. What an irony that drivists frightened of losing their motoring privileges, given by licence only, would dare to use the term about anyone else.

I don't care about the housing market, but you probably should if you live in London!
Go ahead and ban cars and see what it does to your rent/mortgage.

bludger

« Reply #112 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:35:38 pm »
I am moderately more concerned about not dying than I am about rent fluctuations.

"Blinkered" indeed.....  ::-)

I would happily pay double my rent in return for a car ban.

Ban cars.

Ben T

« Reply #113 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:37:05 pm »
I am moderately more concerned about not dying
ok well I'm getting some new golf clubs soon so I'll let you have the box  ;D

bludger

« Reply #114 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:38:38 pm »
Better get use of them afore we nationalise the golf courses and turn them into parks 💅

Golf courses; first against the wall.

Ban cars.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #115 on: 09 May, 2020, 12:52:55 am »

What was it like? Did you have ketchup on it?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #116 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:30:37 am »
To answer the OP, I haven't noticed any change with drivers of motor vehicles behaviour. That there far fewer motors on the road has made cycling a more pleasant experience.
My location, North Herts.
Bludger makes a good argument for ending car use. Conversely, other have valid points too.
To argue that people employed in the car industry will lose their livelihoods whilst true, doesn't make it OK to keep producing them. (in some Central American countries tens of thousands of people are employed by the drugs trade, doesn't make it OK to let them carry on).
Most people want a greener society, fewer emissions etc. In conversion with people from different backgrounds I hear the same hypocritical arguments, of which I'm guilty of too.
That is, we nod sagely and agree that the humanity can't carry on consuming, and then book a foreign holiday, 4 engined jumbo jets consuming tens of tons of aviation fuel. (actually I've never flown). Or more innocently order cycle parts made from, iron, aluminium, plastic, rubber. All manufactured in factories and transported by motor vehicles.
We visit a relative in Surrey, occasionally driving on the M25 and inevitably strck in traffic near Heathrow. 6 lanes of traffic parked up in opposite directions, jumbo jets taking off every 40 seconds. It can't carry on much longer.
I wish I had the answers. The so called lock down has made society step back, pause a while. We must  consume less.

« Reply #117 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:36:52 am »
Banning cars isn't "Draconian". What's "Draconian" is telling everyone younger than you that you're not going to bother making changes to your own life to keep them from an early grave. What's "Draconian" is forcing everyone in the country to pay £27bn in taxes to create a system that is going to kill their own children. This is insane.

Motoring really is a death cult and this thread has exemplified that completely.
If you feel so strongly about it, voice your concerns to the politicians.

« Reply #118 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:13:06 am »
To return to the original question- yes, I have noticed a more relaxed and friendly attitude from drivers in my local lanes. Maybe lower volumes, maybe less appointments to get to. Generally older drivers as well, who have limited mobility to get out any other way.
Lots of walkers and especially dog walkers, but all friendly and considerate if given a cheery hello to warn them of your approach.
Farm traffic has become very big, and often requires a cyclist to stop and move into a gateway. However, they are at work and growing our food, and again there’s usually a thumbs up.

Ben T

« Reply #119 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:18:31 am »
Better get use of them afore we nationalise the golf courses and turn them into parks 💅

Golf courses; first against the wall.
I'd vote for you. Thousands wouldn't.  :D

« Reply #121 on: 09 May, 2020, 12:00:12 pm »
Banning cars isn't "Draconian". What's "Draconian" is telling everyone younger than you that you're not going to bother making changes to your own life to keep them from an early grave. What's "Draconian" is forcing everyone in the country to pay £27bn in taxes to create a system that is going to kill their own children. This is insane.

Motoring really is a death cult and this thread has exemplified that completely.
If you feel so strongly about, it voice your concerns to the politicians.

Or become one.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #122 on: 09 May, 2020, 01:05:51 pm »

If you feel so strongly about, it voice your concerns to the politicians.

Or become one.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

What weird creatures to spend their entire lives trying to convince others they know best!  Who would do that?

But anyway, we should of course ban all cars.  There must be an alternative to all this dashing around making the place hideous with their noise, pollution and aggressiveness.
Move Faster and Bake Things