Author Topic: Route thoughts: Richmond - St. George’s Hospital  (Read 3886 times)

Route thoughts: Richmond - St. George’s Hospital
« on: 08 August, 2020, 04:34:30 pm »
Looking at routes as above. Most of the online mapping, pre-adjusting, seems to suggest riding through Richmond Park golf course, which as far as I know is not possible, and crossing the A3 near Putney Vale cemetary after a short stretch of A3.

I’d have thought exiting the park at Robin Hood Gate and crossing the A3 there would be the thing to do, then riding across Wimbledon Common and coming out into Wimbedon village.

Is that feasible? I haven’t ridden in Wimbledon Common and I have no idea how practical the paths there are, for commute purposes.

Re: Route thoughts: Richmond - St. George%u2019s Hospital
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2020, 05:20:52 pm »
This is the map of the official routes on Wimbledon Common - https://www.wpcc.org.uk/images/things-to-do/cycling-map-(1).pdf

If you cross the A3 and head south along the Beverley Brook then this section will be ok at this time of year but gets muddy in winter.

You then need to turn left and head up to Camp Road. This section rises steadily but the surface is variable with some gravelly sections. I would prefer a MTB here and would be reluctant to attempt it in the dark.

I would probably exit at Roehampton Gate and head across Putney Heath or maybe exit Ladderstile Gate, through the Coombe estate, and then Raynes Park to Wimbledon.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Route thoughts: Richmond - St. George’s Hospital
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2020, 05:54:12 pm »
Yes the route is feasible but the paths aren’t paved - or at least weren’t 7 years ago when I used them. More of a MTB route perhaps..

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2020, 09:49:59 pm »
I have never ridden in that direction from Richmond Park even after 21 years in London.

Thanks for the info and pointing out that it’s MTB territory in the winter. Shall rethink.

Strange thing is that all the mapping I try suggests that it is possible to ride through the golf club - when did that become possible?

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2020, 10:43:48 pm »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2020, 03:20:16 pm »
Thanks Hatler - looks reasonable. What’s it like riding along that stretch of the A3?

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2020, 03:31:36 pm »
Ah, sorry. Should have pointed out that I use the path alongside the A3 there. It's my regular return route from Richmond Park. Not perfect, but absolutely acceptable (I run 700 x 23). I very rarely encounter another soul along there.

I use the traffic lights crossing when leaving Robin Hood Gate to get across to the other side of the A3, and when the lights go red to let you across the southbound lane there's enough time to stay on the Actual A3 until you get to the service road in about 30 yards.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:50:36 pm »
I've been cycling around Richmond Park occasionally for over thirty years, I don't remember ever seeing anyone going off through the gate to the Golf Club, and was therefore intrigued to find out what the situation was. So as the temperature cooled this evening, I set off to see what I could see.

At 8.30 the gate in Richmond Park was bolted shut but I could see golfers beyond. There were no signs to suggest it was a cycle route and no signs to suggest when the gates may be open, only a sign to say no pedestrians to cross the cattle grid.

I then cycled around to the A3 entrance, arriving about 9.00. This gate was open and there was a sign saying there was a cycle route to Richmond Park and that it was open "Dawn to Dusk". Maybe things have changed due to the pandemic or maybe the man who shuts the gate in the park was in a hurry to get home. I'll take more interest next time I pass in the park and go through if the gate is open.

I then went down to Robin Hood Gate and took the route along the Beverley Brook and up onto Wimbledon Common. The first section was mainly sun-baked mud and the second section was mainly gravel. The worst gravel is on the steepest part and I got wheelspin a couple of times (28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons on a road bike). By now it was properly dark and picking out the best line with the dynamo light became difficult.

If you did it every day I'm sure the gravel wouldn't be an issue but the mud would be in the winter.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2020, 01:32:35 pm »
What about leaving Richmond Park at Kingston gate and going along Coombe Lane, Worple Road, Gap Road and Plough Lane?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2020, 02:14:48 pm »
Or even Ladderstile Gate, cut through the Coombe Estate and then head for Wimbledon.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2020, 07:30:05 pm »
At 8.30 the gate in Richmond Park was bolted shut but I could see golfers beyond. There were no signs to suggest it was a cycle route and no signs to suggest when the gates may be open, only a sign to say no pedestrians to cross the cattle grid.

Yes, I cycled around that way yesterday and that is most definitely a mapping error.

Thanks for all those useful points. I’m leaning towards a tarmac-only route.
What about leaving Richmond Park at Kingston gate and going along Coombe Lane, Worple Road, Gap Road and Plough Lane?

That certainly does have a pleasing simplicity to it. I also note that if I bend my existing possible route to fit that on RWGPS, it routes me across the river on the little ferry that goes from Orleans House to Ham, rather than across Richmond Bridge. Which would be nice sometimes, but it doesn’t start until 10:00.*

Or even Ladderstile Gate, cut through the Coombe Estate and then head for Wimbledon.

Shall investigate.

Thanks all! It’s good this place.

*And it’s £1.50 for a person + bike.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:45:50 pm »
Slight thread hi-jack, but while the SW London massive are in the house, what's the path like that runs alongside the railway from Raynes Park to New Malden? 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:46:40 pm »
Brilliant !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:48:18 pm »
Do you want guiding ?  It starts a stone's throw from here. It makes getting to New Malden sooooo much easier. It's now an integral part of pretty much all our Sunday morning rides out into the Surrey Hills.

One slight gripe, the undergrowth was starting to impinge upon the route when we last used it.

Surface is good.
It's used by lots of people.
Pedestrians and cyclists are separated.
Gradient is consistent (as befits a path adjacent to a railway line).
It's much more direct than all the alternative on-road routes. (Hardly surprising when you consider that this stretch of rail track has to be one of the longest and straightest in the country.)
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2020, 04:23:12 pm »
Ah, that sounds ideal then.  I'm starting in Southfields,  past the tennis then down to Worple Road to Raynes Park. Along the aforementioned path then alongside the A3 to Tolworth. Current plan is Hogsmill Open Space  then Ewell, Epsom and up to the race course via either Chalk Lane or Ashley Road.  Followed by some Gratutitous Hills (Hedley Common, Box Hill, Ranmore Common, down White Down, up Coombe Lane then back via misc lanes.

« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2020, 05:19:31 pm »
That's all my old and current haunts. There are still people who recall the day I ate five breakfasts on Derby Day morning in The Amato on Chalk Lane.

When's this planned for ?  Fancy a coffee on your way through ?
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17 on: 13 August, 2020, 02:24:50 pm »
That's all my old and current haunts. There are still people who recall the day I ate five breakfasts on Derby Day morning in The Amato on Chalk Lane.

When's this planned for ?  Fancy a coffee on your way through ?
We're OK for coffee, thanks. It's this Saturday morning, starting at my mate's house in Southfield. He's furnishing coffee (why he's not sorting the route I don't know).  If you could be at the junction of Coombe Lane and the A25 with a flask, that would be great though...

« Reply #18 on: 13 August, 2020, 05:22:19 pm »
:-)

Chalk Lane much more preferable to Ashley Road. Check out the large gaff on the right on the way up. Lord Roseberry's old residence I believe. When I become wealthy beyond my wildest dreams, this is number 1 on the list.

I'll have to pass on the Hatler Coffee Stop though. Sorry about that.
Rust never sleeps

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
« Reply #19 on: 13 August, 2020, 11:16:43 pm »
For the avoidance of any doubt with evidence to the contrary please note the following.

Even though Google maps and OsmAnd mapping software state correctly that there is a physical route though the Richmond Golf course it is not an either Right of Way nor an informal path that the public has permission or able to gain access either on foot or on a cycle.

At the northern end, there is a locked gate and at the southern end there is a barrier with signs say no access

There is an access path from the Richmond Park to the Golf courses via Chohole Gate and bridge.

I have  photographs https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=140145

Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
« Reply #20 on: 14 August, 2020, 10:09:06 am »
I have never ridden in that direction from Richmond Park even after 21 years in London.

Thanks for the info and pointing out that it’s MTB territory in the winter. Shall rethink.

Strange thing is that all the mapping I try suggests that it is possible to ride through the golf club - when did that become possible?

For the avoidance of any doubt with evidence to the contrary please note the following.

Even though Google maps and OsmAnd mapping software state correctly that there is a physical route though the Richmond Golf course it is not an either Right of Way nor an informal path that the public has permission or able to gain access either on foot or on a cycle.

At the northern end, there is a locked gate and at the southern end there is a barrier with signs say no access

There is an access path from the Richmond Park to the Golf courses via Chohole Gate and bridge.

I have  photographs https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=140145
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

« Reply #21 on: 14 August, 2020, 10:25:20 am »
The forum doesn't let you upload pics here, so you have to upload them elsewhere and link - there is some guidance at https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84507 and
See point 5 here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=367.msg7323#msg7323

« Reply #22 on: 02 December, 2020, 07:12:15 pm »
Sgt Pluck, what route did you settle on ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23 on: 03 December, 2020, 10:26:59 am »
In the end I didn’t apply for the St. George’s job that would have required this commute. Apologies if I wasted your time, but I tend to factor in the feasibility and horribleness or otherwise of commuting by bike at an early stage!

In this case, it was the job itself that lost its appeal for me. And of course I may not have been successful if I had applied. I do commute via Richmond Park at the moment but heading Putney way thereafter.

« Reply #24 on: 03 December, 2020, 10:32:24 am »
Good grief man, no need to apologise whatsoever.  That's precisely the sort of thing this place is so good at (advising I mean).
Rust never sleeps