Author Topic: Fixed Rear Wheel Source?  (Read 4539 times)

Fixed Rear Wheel Source?
« on: 28 August, 2020, 01:52:38 pm »
The rear wheel on my Pompino, bought second hand six years ago, is nearing the end of its useful life (both hub and rim).
Can anyone suggest where I can buy a replacement, 120mm OLN, reasonably robust. I've plenty of spare front wheels, so would prefer not to have to buy a pair. I couldn't find anything on Planet X website, or indeed any of the usual on line suspects.
Thanks.

Re: Fixed Rear Wheel Source?
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2020, 03:48:52 pm »
Your best bet might be to get a local wheelbuilder to build one for you with your choice of parts, or contact SJS to ask what they can offer.

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2020, 03:54:49 pm »
Over the last few years I've bought Goldtec hubs from Goldtec, and asked them to space the rear for 120mm OLN.
Rims have been Velocity from Brick Lane Bikes.
The wheels have been put together by Arup Sen whom I'm lucky enough to have living a couple of streets away from me.

Or, see Sgt P's post above  :)

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2020, 07:01:00 pm »
Let me have a look tomorrow. I've got at least one spare from my Condor Tempo.

I think I've got one with a System X hub and one with a Miche hub (with the special Miche sprocket carriers). Both are Open Pro rims.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2020, 11:08:49 am »
Doesn’t your Planet X hub have easily replaceable sealed bearings? My such hub has corroding wheels nuts (are SS wheel nuts available?) but otherwise could easily be re-rimmed. I rarely use the rear brake on my commuter fixed, so only the front rim seems to need replacement.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2020, 02:42:39 pm »
I'd agree with the above - replacing the bearings on most track hubs is an easy job, 10 minutes or so by your LBS or a bit longer if you do it yourself with bodged tools. And a rim replacement by your local wheel builder.

I rarely use the rear brake on my commuter fixed, so only the front rim seems to need replacement.

Eventually they crack at the eyelets. I tend to get 35-45 Mm from a rear rim in all-weather year round riding.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2020, 04:55:44 pm »
Yeah, you could get a replacement set of bearings and a new rim, then just swap them in.  As it's not offset and already laced up swapping the rim will be pretty easy.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2020, 10:58:17 pm »
What they said. I changed the bearings on my PlanetX hub without difficulty.