Author Topic: Rides out during covid  (Read 17229 times)

Davef

Rides out during covid
« Reply #25 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:03:13 am »
^^ that seems a decent plan to me at the moment, with all the various ways of making it less tedious than it used to be. I might take the odd spin around a 25km loop I use, but really can't see the point of doing much more.

The rumour on Friday in Scotland was that click-and-collect,  take aways & non essential construction would be next for the chop.  At this stage it looks very much like a "do something - do anything"   

Was this in context of just buying general shit or groceries? I can't see it working in the latter case, as the home delivery capacity doesn't seem to be there.
Currently non essential shops can stay open for click and collect only. Stopping this could reduce road traffic. Apart from the minimal case of people using public transport, click and collect is about as safe as home delivery. Reducing road traffic per se does not stop spread but it does make i suppose it is easier to spot rule breakers.

Davef

Re: Rides out during covid
« Reply #26 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:40:15 am »
Personally I'm for applying common sense while staying within the letter of the law.  (Assuming you can determine what that happens to be, which is a non-trivial exercise in itself.)
Non-trivial exercise should only be undertaken once per day.

During the last lockdown there was a discussion over whether too much cycling was occurring and time would be better spent perhaps on redecorating. My daughter, a research scientist based in a hospital and therefore must be obeyed, ruled that DIY would involve visits to DIY shops and A+E and therefore cycling was a better option.

« Reply #27 on: 11 January, 2021, 08:13:33 am »

The rumour on Friday in Scotland was that click-and-collect,  take aways & non essential construction would be next for the chop.  At this stage it looks very much like a "do something - do anything" strategy.

Greater restrictions will only be effective if they are going to be enforced and there are too many people still flaunting the rules as they think the risk is worth it. 

If we carry on our current trajectory I can see properly draconian measures - a maximum distance from home or suchlike, but bams are gonna bam.     

Rumours around this morning that England will be going to Tier 6 mid-week as well.  Likely to include ban on exercising with someone outside your household.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #28 on: 11 January, 2021, 08:47:57 am »
People should stop advising to stick to the Turbo...
Some of us don't for a number of reasons

1) we don't own one and there aren't any available
2) We don't own one because we have no money to buy one or room to fit one
3) We cycle outdoors because it's good for our mental health, whereas sweating in a garage isn't

I am sure we can all do more to minimise the mileage, minimise contacts, maximise safety and all of that, but please, stop with this turbo nonsense, if we wanted/could spin on a turbo, we would be doing so already

« Reply #29 on: 11 January, 2021, 09:17:52 am »
I realise that previously there was ( for me, surprisingly) some strong reactions to this.
I have no axe to grind ( except obviously to do everything possible to get back to riding and racing as usual).

For Government guidance on riding your bike ( except for essential commuting and shopping) look at the British Cycling web site. How much of the guidance is enforced by law remains to be seen.

« Reply #30 on: 11 January, 2021, 10:23:13 am »
Those could be mutually exclusive for anyone living in a dense urban area.

Not even dense urban. I live in a smallish market town, all the PROWs within a 2-3 mile radius are heaving every lunchtime/evening/weekend. Even my off-road rides now have to start and finish with a schelp down the (relatively quiet) roads in order to ride away from other people.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #31 on: 11 January, 2021, 10:30:34 am »
Basically this is a really shit time isn’t it. For everybody. It’s encouraging to know that everyone is trying to do the right thing, even if that might look wildly diverse in its delivery.
Milk please, no sugar.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #32 on: 11 January, 2021, 10:31:40 am »
Some of us don't for a number of reasons

1) we don't own one and there aren't any available
2) We don't own one because we have no money to buy one or room to fit one
3) We cycle outdoors because it's good for our mental health, whereas sweating in a garage isn't

I am sure we can all do more to minimise the mileage, minimise contacts, maximise safety and all of that, but please, stop with this turbo nonsense, if we wanted/could spin on a turbo, we would be doing so already

People can continue to advise whatever they wish, you are free to choose to follow it or not.

All anyone is doing here is giving their open an honest view on how they see a very difficult situation, and how they might handle it. Characterising indoor training as "nonsense" is hardly helpful
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #33 on: 11 January, 2021, 11:57:44 am »
I decided against going out this weekend, even a shakedown ride to test some fettling I'd attempted. Hospitals here are overwhelmed and Ian doesn't call it Wild West Croydon for nothing in terms of driving standards, near misses are incredibly common - I just can't trust that an idiot driver won't land me in hospital and I'd feel so guilty should I end up there even with a minor injury (needing intensive care doesn't bear thinking about). The roads are still busy, like someone else said I do wonder where the hell everyone is going.

This is utterly shit  of course because we live in a really built up area so local walks are pretty urban too, with pockets of green that are rammed. I live next to a small park and on Saturday that was too busy to walk in a way that was at all relaxing so I went home after half an hour. I'm going to have to start getting up super early like in the first lockdown, I think, but I find that harder in winter.

I am lucky that this time round I have managed to procure a turbo and found some great groups on Zwift. It#s not the same but better than nothing.

« Reply #34 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:10:56 pm »
ask instead whether your exercise could be nearer to home, shorter duration and involve meeting fewer people

Those could be mutually exclusive for anyone living in a dense urban area.

Hence the question - as always when presented with three or more requirements there will be some balancing to be done. Like asking for cheap, light and strong. :)

Also, yes, as well as physical fitness I rate seeing plants, the sky and further than the end of my road as good for my mental health. I'm contemplating the turbo, but I think that involves buying a wheel and a new tyre!

« Reply #35 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:25:39 pm »
Yes been out riding alternate days, walking on the other days.  Had conversations with police in previous lockdowns, when out on bike.  Not about why I was out or anything like that. Just saying hello and quick chat whilst I passed. It being self evident I was out for exercise on my own. No questions about where I’m from, how far, how long.

Definitely keep riding your bike.  Ride from your home to your home. Exercise and time in the outdoors is important for your mental and physical health right now.  Don’t make it tougher on yourself, than it needs to be.

Goes without saying, make your bike as winter proof as possible and be self sufficient. It’s close contact / proximity to others that will continue to spread the virus, not solo bike rides. So avoid going into shops / busy areas, popular beauty spots etc.

« Reply #36 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:35:43 pm »
It may have been me that Perpetual Dan kindly quoted, and that isn't what I was saying.

I'm suggesting that the challenge is to minimise. If you have space and a turbo at home, and you can stand any tedium, favour the turbo, or even use it exclusively. If you don't and you can't get one (and no-one can at the moment, from what I gather), the clear instruction from the government at the moment is that exercise and health are important enough to justify going out.

But the challenge is to do it while staying local. Again, what that means may depend on whether you're next to empty fields, a park full of other people also trying to exercise, or a dual carriageway. But not, "What am I allowed to do?", but "How can I do this within the limitations of where I live, and minimising possible contact?"

All that would mean that two people living next door to each other could still work to different solutions.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #37 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:43:35 pm »
It may have been me that Perpetual Dan kindly quoted, and that isn't what I was saying.

I'm suggesting that the challenge is to minimise. If you have space and a turbo at home, and you can stand any tedium, favour the turbo, or even use it exclusively. If you don't and you can't get one (and no-one can at the moment, from what I gather), the clear instruction from the government at the moment is that exercise and health are important enough to justify going out.

But the challenge is to do it while staying local. Again, what that means may depend on whether you're next to empty fields, a park full of other people also trying to exercise, or a dual carriageway. But not, "What am I allowed to do?", but "How can I do this within the limitations of where I live, and minimising possible contact?"

All that would mean that two people living next door to each other could still work to different solutions.

Perhaps,
it was a generic rant about the many on social media who own thousands of pounds worth of indoor cycling entertainment (that's what it is), as well as houses large enough to accommodate all the shabang and keep going on that others should stop going out for exercise, because you can do it indoors...

I don't think there is a right or wrong set of questions to ask. We are all trying to do our best in very confusing times and I mean all, with very very few exceptions. If the Government is unhappy about people clicking and collecting, perhaps they should not allow shops to do it... or cafes to stay open... what's the point of allowing trade to go on, but telling people they should not go out to buy stuff? Lots of folks in my area queuing to get a takeaway coffee and genuinely thinking they are doing the right thing, supporting local businesses... otherwise they wouldn't be hash-tagging the all thing and posting it on Instagram, would they?

« Reply #38 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:53:02 pm »
It looks like the law as applied to cycling will get clarified soon: Johnson has been spotted by the press going for a ride!

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #39 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:21:41 pm »
It looks like the law as applied to cycling will get clarified soon: Johnson has been spotted by the press going for a ride!

It's probably a waste of everybody's time, which could be used in a more meaningful way.
I am not sure what outcome would be achieved by limiting radius or duration, other than increasing non-compliance to yet a new rule, which leads to non compliance to more important rules too.

I think the "meeting with another person outdoors" needs to be scrapped, that is obvious to see, the risk/benefit is way too high, but specifying how you should ride your bike seems one prescription too many

« Reply #40 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:43:46 pm »

In the Olympic Park, seven miles from no. 10

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #41 on: 11 January, 2021, 04:37:48 pm »
I actually have a spare turbo trainer - Tacx Fortius - I can provide the model number if needed. Don't have the steerer frame any more - it never really worked. Was working as of about 18 months ago when I bought a StacZero.   Brand new tyre also available.

I'd be happy for anyone to have it for £25, if there was a cost-effective way to get it to them
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #42 on: 11 January, 2021, 04:52:47 pm »

It seems he was spotted 7 miles from home - but you have to doubt whether he actually rode all the way.

This morning I rode 25 kms, approximately straight out (into the wind!) and home.  And I posted the ride on Strava.  If specific limits are imposed I might feel that I want to stop posting to Strava.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #43 on: 11 January, 2021, 04:59:19 pm »
And I posted the ride on Strava.  If specific limits are imposed I might feel that I want to stop posting to Strava.

+1

« Reply #44 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:04:02 pm »

It seems he was spotted 7 miles from home - but you have to doubt whether he actually rode all the way.

This morning I rode 25 kms, approximately straight out (into the wind!) and home.  And I posted the ride on Strava.  If specific limits are imposed I might feel that I want to stop posting to Strava.

Specific limits are in place , they’re on the Gov. guidance and on British Cycling’s website. Poorly communicated or made sufficiently clear and precise though.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #45 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:28:42 pm »
I went out this weekend. Short 20km from home on Saturday, drive out for a ride in Ae Forest Sunday - both solo, within guidelines and both far less mileage than I would usually do. This was my first ride outdoor since mid December. I may head out again this weekend if government guidelines still allow. No issues with police or public. Ae forest was very quiet cyclist wise - only a few other pairs. There were however a couple of large groups of male dog walkers and a few families.

Davef

Rides out during covid
« Reply #46 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:27:24 pm »

Specific limits are in place , they’re on the Gov. guidance and on British Cycling’s website. Poorly communicated or made sufficiently clear and precise though.
If it were clear BC would not ask for clarification. Mr Hancock in his briefing this evening said it was ok to walk and end up seven miles from home (14 mile round trip c. 4 hours, certainly beyond the interpretation‘stay in your village’) and you should ‘stay local, not travel to other parts of the country’. Mr Whitty this morning said the critical thing was to stick to the spirit of the guidance which was to avoid as many contacts with people outside your home as possible . With that in mind I will now venture out of my village, avoid as many contacts with people outside my home and not travel to other parts of the country.

« Reply #47 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:47:39 pm »
I would use a roller if I could afford and get one. I managed 3 miles today needing to visit the bank, large tesco for a charging lead for my phone and local shop for food supplies. I am worried about my fitness as cycling is the only exercise I can do with any degree of comfort (other than swimming which is out at present anyway)
the slower you go the more you see

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #48 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:47:56 pm »
With that in mind I will now venture out of my village, avoid as many contacts with people outside my home and not travel to other parts of the country.

totally legit, go for it

« Reply #49 on: 11 January, 2021, 08:23:16 pm »
Just as in the first wave the idiots in charge once again blunder and crash around flailing like idiots as they make up and break the rules as they go along.

We've had Barnard Castle, now we have The Olympic Park.  Yet another nail in the coffin of any hope of possibility of absolute public cooperation.  Perhaps somebody wants to do a perm between the two, and back.  You might as well.

Bloody useless morons those tories.