Author Topic: Phone battery swelling  (Read 1733 times)

Phone battery swelling
« on: 19 February, 2023, 10:28:01 am »
I am trying to buy a replacement phone and the two that I have received (original and replacement) have both had the back of the phone starting to come unglued from the phone chassis.  There's talk on the internet that this is caused by the battery swelling and forcing the back off.  But would this happen to a phone new and unused or is it a function of the battery being charged and discharged in use?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Phone battery swelling
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2023, 10:38:57 am »
The only batteries I can recall swelling were to the drone that Dez bought some years ago. I can't recall what the cause was.

This may be relevant:

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to_do_with_a_swollen_battery
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2023, 10:46:53 am »
The batteries I used in my 2011 phone were both OK ~3 months ago but have since swollen up.  I've also had this with el cheapo camera batteries. Conclusion: batteries either old, of dodgy manufacture or both. Or they've been drained and left flat for too long.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 19 February, 2023, 10:57:03 am »
That article seem to imply that swelling due to outgassing occurs due the generation of electrical energy.  So just sitting in a box with 30% charge is not likely to cause swelling

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 19 February, 2023, 12:46:49 pm »
Swelling can be the result of thermal or mechanical damage without current being passed.

Could be a manufacturing defect in the battery, abuse during construction of the phone (perhaps as simple as poor dimensional tolerances), or storage at excessive temperatures.

Either way, best not to trust a swollen battery.