Author Topic: Mysterious Paypal payment  (Read 1716 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Mysterious Paypal payment
« on: 27 February, 2023, 04:57:30 pm »
I've just received a small amount of money from someone unknown to me accompanied by a message telling me he that paid the wrong person. Am I safe to return these funds? My concern is that once I do this the original payment to me will suddenly be reversed somehow so I'll be out of pocket. I've had previous with Paypal so I know them only to be a total wunch  >:(. Should I just hold out or what?
Pen Pusher

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Mysterious Paypal payment
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2023, 05:04:18 pm »
I've just received a small amount of money from someone unknown to me accompanied by a message telling me he that paid the wrong person. Am I safe to return these funds? My concern is that once I do this the original payment to me will suddenly be reversed somehow so I'll be out of pocket. I've had previous with Paypal so I know them only to be a total wunch  >:(. Should I just hold out or what?

I had a similar situation - I just hung on until Paypal made contact with me (I insisted on phoning them to be sure it rally was Paypal +44 0845 4011 050) - turns out it was a scam and Paypal reversed the amount out of my account.

« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2023, 05:05:23 pm »
sounds like a scam

"Incoming transfer scam: How it works
As appealing as the deal might look, it’s suspicious. This type of scam has been doing the rounds for at least a couple of years. If Andy had agreed to the proposal, here’s how events would have unfolded:

Dave transfers $4,500 to Andy’s account: $3,000 to cover Andy’s fee, $1,400 for the debt to Mr. K., and $100 extra for the “inconvenience.”
Andy, an honest man, transfers $1,400 to Mr. K. from his account, as agreed.
A few days or weeks later, the card used to make the original transfer is flagged stolen. The bank reverses the transaction, and Andy loses everything — both his fee and the extra payment. But the transfer to Mr. K. cannot be canceled. Ironically, that operation was legal.
In a nutshell: The incoming transfer is canceled after a while, and that money gets wiped from your account. But what you transferred is very difficult, if not impossible, to get back."

However, it may be real. Contact PayPal and let them sort it out (don't follow any link that he may have sent you)

It is very sad that we must question our trust of people. Sometimes I think that it is better to have been ripped off occasionally, but have helped the other honest person - rather than risk not helping the person who legitimately needed my help.

« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2023, 05:06:16 pm »
It’s a small amount, they won’t miss it. If it’s important to them they can do it through a formal PayPal process, which doesn’t mean them messaging you direct.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2023, 07:15:22 pm »
Thanks all. Seems I was wise to be suspicious.

I Googled the person's name (it's an unusual spelling). If it's really them then it was a genuine error but I'll wait for contact from Paypal.
Pen Pusher