Author Topic: A4 colour e-reader  (Read 2672 times)

A4 colour e-reader
« on: 03 April, 2023, 02:10:28 pm »
A non-insignificant amount of my computer use is reading pdfs and I have a number of books only in this format.  I there a decent A4 sized e-reader out there?
Or should I admit that this might a well be a fondleslab+pen thing?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
Re: A4 colour e-reader
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2023, 04:17:52 pm »
I have a fondleslab for such things. It is almost 10 years old. It's not fast, but it does the job.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

rr

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2023, 08:39:27 am »
This was one of the reasons I bought my Lenovo Chromebook Duet, not quite a4 but large enough for ebooks, e-versions of magazines and maps.
Much cheaper than a fondle slab and much longer software support than an Android tablet.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2023, 03:32:42 pm »
Thought there would be more of a market for this.  A wide screen laptop works to some extend, but is the wrong aspect ratio.

I have a graphics pad which I bought to use for whiteboarding during lockdown, which I could use as a reading screen, easier to hold sideways than a laptop, but all the controls will be out by Pi/2.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2023, 03:40:41 pm »
Thought there would be more of a market for this.

E-reader and E-ink development stalled years ago. Basically Amazon's success with the Kindle meant they had the market sown up and no need to innovate just small incremental improvements every few years.

Recently there has been a load of new E-ink developments pushed by things like digital signage in shops (think the labels on the shelves etc).

The next few years might see new E-readers with good colour reproduction which will open up a new market for them as text book readers for a start off.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2023, 08:06:17 pm »
A wide screen laptop works to some extend, but is the wrong aspect ratio.

Display device aspect ratios went to pot around the time that HD video proliferated, so we're now stuck trying to do things that aren't watching videos[1] on 16:9 (or on a good day, 16:10) displays.  Which is fine when it's a 32" monitor, which neatly divides into two squareish windows of useful size, but a complete arse on smaller displays, laptops and fondleslabs.

My ageing Samsung 10" fondleslab is 4:3, which is probably the sweet spot for being genuinely usable for texty-GUIish things either way round, but that sort of thing is vanishingly rare.

I think the larger iPads are within spitting distance of A4 size, which is eminently sensible (and given their USAnian origin, likely accidental).

[1] Also, why would you want to watch videos on a device the same aspect ratio as the video, when you could have a bit of letterbox space to put the captions in?

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2023, 09:20:26 pm »

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2023, 10:09:56 pm »
If you have the readies, available from June

https://goodereader.com/blog/product/fujitsu-quaderno-gen-3-with-e-ink-kaleido-3

In this context my brainz pronounced that as 'reedies'  ::-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2023, 10:32:39 pm »
Holy carp that's expensive. Looks a bit like my ReMarkable but twice the price. Admittedly it's not quite A4. Didn't realise Amazon were now doing something similar til now either.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2023, 03:15:03 pm »
Mrs P,  do you mind if I ask what sort of things you use your reMarkable for?

I find it a good idea, I read lots of PDFs, I like the ability to sketch out an idea, I'd prefer to read some ebooks on a bigger screen than my titchy Kindle (rarely actual kindle books, just ones downloaded from Project Gutenberg, or converted PDFs of tech and product manuals, etc. I'm just not 100% convinced I actually need it, although I would definitely like it.
Wombat

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2023, 08:59:22 pm »
Mostly as a searchable notebook, to be honest. But when lockdown first started I was getting reports for review from colleagues sent to me as pdfs which I was then scribbling (so many) changes on and emailing them back, cos I really couldn't be arsed doing it on a single screen in word (and also, it sticks more if you make people correct their own mistakes, I reckon).
It is bigger than a Kindle, but not hugely.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2023, 05:39:33 pm »
Black and white e-ink reader is much cheaper and works well enough for most documents IME. For stuff that must be colour, there's always the laptop. Agree that (near) A4 reader size is lovely.