Author Topic: Reinstalling macOS  (Read 1714 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Reinstalling macOS
« on: 20 April, 2023, 10:57:34 am »
Is what I’m doing now. My 9 year old Mac Mini decided it was on a go slow this morning. It now tells me that there are 5 hours and 14 minutes of this process remaining. Something tells me I might be spending some money soon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Reinstalling macOS
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2023, 11:01:55 am »
9 years doesn't seem too bad.
Of the four Macs I have owned, I think they average out lifespans of around 6 years.
Having said that, the one sitting next to me at work, is in its fifteenth year.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2023, 11:28:35 am »
An HD will be slow. Can you put an SSD in?

How much free space is on the HD?
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2023, 01:13:38 pm »
It has come back to life and seems to be OK. I only really use it for wasting time on the internet and a bit of spreadsheet work. I tried editing videos on it a while back but it was painful. Took over an hour to do something Jan's machine would do in 5 minutes. Both are Mac Minis but hers is only a year or two old.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2023, 07:17:53 pm »
My early-2009 edition is still running (mostly as a print and backup server). It has an aftermarket SSD and seems fairly spritely for a 13.5-year-old computer. I wouldn't edit video on it though. I have and older c2007 version (my wife's) sitting on a shelf. I powered that up and it was achingly slow, but I think you get used to SSD. So it remains a paperweight.

My main iMac is now a veritable c2015 vintage and I'm in no rush to replace it – I might be tempted if they do another big version (27-inch plus) but for what I use it for, it's still fast.

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2023, 02:52:40 pm »
My daily driver is a mid-2009 Macbook pro. Bought new, it's had a HD and RAM upgrade (though still on spinning rust), a couple of HD internal cables that went intermittent, a new battery and a new external PSU. It probably really needs to be upgraded at some point, as it's now stuck on El Capitan and increasingly software doesn't support that. Chrome is the latest one I've spotted that has an issue with the old OS. Otherwise it's done very well for itself.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2023, 05:56:40 pm »
Mine's "about" info says MacOS Monterey 12.6.5 and late 2014, so not yet 9.

Free:   329.09 GB (329,094,754,304 bytes)
  Capacity:   1.12 TB (1,121,118,199,808 bytes)