Author Topic: Phone for kids, what age?  (Read 2540 times)

Phone for kids, what age?
« on: 04 May, 2023, 10:12:52 pm »
Technology is so advanced since my time as a kid,  zx spectrum 48k to nintendo switch,  tablets and phones. So what age is right for kids to get phones? Ours is 10 and steakhouse hours own activities via switch gaming and headsets. He's often running off to the park after school,  all offroad from our back door,. It's a small village and safe. However some friends are being given older brother's cast off phones when out and about. Others have had phones for an year or two.

Apart from right age there's what phone and how to keep them safe from dodgy content? He's on YouTube on his tablet on gaming channels for a few years,  minecraft and now fortnite. Tech savvy so all parental controls on his tablet get taken off after he gets it back.

Anyone been through this modern rite of passage recently? How did you manage?

Re: Phone for kids, what age?
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2023, 10:25:15 pm »
My eldest got my old andriod phone when he was in year 6 so about 10 years old as that's when he started walking home from school.

Google has an app called family link that allows you to control what's installed, how long they get on each app and cut-off times for device usage as well as a location tracker.

Apple has similar but I'm not that familiar with it.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2023, 06:14:13 am »
Mine had one from when he started senior school and had to make his own way home by bus so we could know when to collect him.

Whatever you decide get a decent case. His first one had a cracked screen in the first 48 hours

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2023, 06:47:08 am »
Mine had phones after they got part time jobs and could afford them.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2023, 07:19:06 am »
Our grandson had a phone when he started at secondary school, as well as a "controlled cashcard" on his mother's bank account - seemed to be about the right time to me (my daughters (now 46, 44, 38) were given phones when they started university)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2023, 07:48:34 am »
The former Mrs Z got them smartphones far too young IMO - about start of secondary school for the younger.  It doesn't seem to have corrupted them much, but I did give them the "what has been seen cannot be unseen" warning.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2023, 07:49:15 am »
Mine were well past voting age before phones became a thing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2023, 07:55:18 am »
My kids, similar ages to Rob's, were given phones by their grandparents about year 3 of senior school.
As phones weren't smart in those days, there was no real concern 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2023, 08:11:11 am »
iirc my eldest bought himself a smartphone before I had one. 

My children were given a phone when they moved to secondary school.  In those days the phones were dumbphones and mostly sat in a pocket in their bags unmolested.

I think secondary school age is about right.  Phones are everywhere and not a mystery any more.  There are ways to put parental controls on phones requiring passwords / codes to bypass so unless an easy code is chosen they can be regulated.

« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2023, 08:36:43 am »
Smartphones are a plague for young people, IMO

A basic dumb phone with PAYG can receive and send texts. Cheap from a supermarket.

As for music - I remember getting my daughter a little MP3 player, took thousands of songs and needed charging maybe once a week.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2023, 08:47:32 am »
Perhaps the way to approach this question is with another question: what is he going to need the phone for? If you can articulate that, the question of when the device is needed, and the related question of what type of device, should become clear. You might also consider how you can prepare him for being shown unsavoury content by other children.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2023, 09:02:58 am »
I hate kids having mobile phones but unfortunately if your child doesn't they are going to be cut off from their friends who inevitably do have them and quite often have had since 7 or 8 so plan things  last minute, long  gone are the days of planning what to do over weekend Friday at school

Our eldest got hers for 10th birthday so summer before starting secondary school. We use the family app so we have to approve anything she wants to download, can monitor/restrict how long she spends on it and regularly check her messages

It still causes problems and we've had to explain how things can be misunderstood through a WhatsApp message especially when other kids may be struggling with mental health issues

We also have rules like no phones upstairs and not at the dinner table. We also allow her to call us out if we are on our phones. Being adults sometimes the answer is I need to arrange something but if I'm just on YACF or similar I'll put it down

« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2023, 09:40:59 am »
Miss Ham (b.1990) grew up through the coming of the age of the Internet, through chat rooms, MSN, Facebook et al. Throughout that I used to have what would now be called spyware running to ensure her safety and, if necessary, help educate. I was scrupulous in never using the information I saw, or acting with the benefit of its knowledge (that is, I had to decide stuff as if I hadn't learned x and so), I would only have acted on the info as a last resort, I had to accept that kids would do stuff, like I did. That involved (somewhat dangerously) keeping any info learned from Mrs Ham as I am certain she would not have been able not to use the info, to this day she is unaware. There comes a point where you decide your child no longer needs that level of protection, so you remove it. I don't know the technical details of how you might achieve that level of monitoring these days, especially given the wide use of message encryption, but I suspect it will be achievable.

The phone as a device is only part of the story, it's what they do with it or other devices (xbox, playstation, iPad etc) that is far more significant. In this day and age, I suspect a phone at secondary age is almost essential for communication and security, let alone maintaining peer standing, which is a significant issue not to be ignored. Arguably final year in primary is a good time to get them accustomed to it, in Miss Ham's growing up age phones were not "smart" so I didn't have to address that, SMS text was the thing.

Moving beyond what is most people's general disquiet and concern over giving their child a phone, there are two significant issues to consider. The restrictive aspects: "I don't want my child to zzzz" tend not to work as well as people would like and, at least IMO, are often counter productive, call me a permissive parent if you would like, that's where my tendencies go. The first issue is, how can you stop your child becoming a target for theft? Well, you can't. I'd avoid a top end phone and get a respectable mid range android phone of some nature (Daddy! all my friends have got iphones!!  :demon: ), if I needed to I would insure it, but self insuring is likely the most useful. The second is when they can use it. Good luck on trying to impose controls yourself, but schools are moving towards banning their use during the school day (the school I'm involved in governance recently adopted such a policy, which is working well).

Phones are a part of modern life, children will have to learn to navigate their use in the context of their lives. I'm just glad I don't even have to begin to understand TikTok.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2023, 12:21:05 pm »
I'm not a parent, but it seems to me that the internet is normal and ordinary and just a part of the way the world works.  The best you can do it hope to give your kids the skills to navigate it.  In my day the barrier was technical, now it's social.

Parental monitoring/restrictions are useful in as much that they'll hopefully teach valuable opsec and hacking skills, but if they need to they'll always find access to the internet elsewhere.  It's not about the phones.

And as someone who grew up in the closet with Fidonet and later the Internet as a literal lifeline, I maintain that it's ultimately a force for good, whatever the big marketing social media companies might use it for.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2023, 12:37:26 pm »
Eldest got one in later Y5, smallest got that same phone (after it had sat on a shelf for a couple of years) many years later a bit earlier, maybe beginning of Y5, because therewas some upgrades/second SIM stuff around a trip to Italy for the big'un that meant an appropriate size payg sim was kicking about with some credit on, and then got a better cast-off  one with a contract sim a couple of years later.

Around start of secondary or starting to walk to/from school solo seems sensible tome in general. Another factor for me was them having two home - a phone so that they could communicate with the other parent without their comms having to be navigated via a parental phone seemed like a good idea, and helped a lot with keeping conversations (mostly by text, obviously!) flowing with whoever they needed/wanted to talk to, whichever place they happened to be in at the time.

I think this site https://nationalonlinesafety.com/guides is a source of lots of good info about online safety for young'uns. They also post their weekly guides on Twitter https://twitter.com/natonlinesafety

« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2023, 12:45:15 pm »

And as someone who grew up in the closet with Fidonet and later the Internet as a literal lifeline, I maintain that it's ultimately a force for good, whatever the big marketing social media companies might use it for.

While I agree with your sentiment, I disagree that it is "ultimately a force for good", as it is the same feature and power that helped support you (Is it fair to summarise to:"hey, I'm not alone!"?) that underpins some of the very worst behaviour on the Internet.

The forces for good, and bad, are ultimately people.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2023, 12:57:14 pm »
More "Here are the exit strategies", but yes.

« Reply #17 on: 05 May, 2023, 08:54:42 pm »
He's y5 and 10 last year. Meet ups are planned on fortnite chat. His friendship circle grew rapidly after we got a headset and fortnite for his switch. Before that it was minecraft with basically one main friend he spent a lot of time with after moving here. Other friends he had but he was joined at the no with his main friend.  Them headset and other class mates started showing more interest in him because he's a good gamer. He then seemed to have new friends every week.  A kid moved into the area from west country. He became friends and through fortnite became friends with that kid's old friends and his cousins.

Fortnite and headset really got him friends and more social. Now he starts on fortnite then meets up in the park up the footpath from the back gate of our garden. He goes to play football and trade pokemon cards.

We worry because he can stay away for hours, indeed walking from school can take him an hour via the park. A mobile means he's contactable when he's late coming back.  Also offers a recall option that doesn't mean walking m around the village to find him

I had the opinion secondary school means start of owning a mobile phone ownership but it's our son's social life means he's likely to want to be with mates away from our home or his mate's home.  No longer his mother organising his social life! So we need to be able to contact him. So I th8mk it is time.

« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2023, 11:53:38 pm »
Strong echo of what Ham has said.  Much of the internet/phone/FB stuff is no more moral than a word is - depends on who uses it and how.

I reckon if you give a child access to the net and a phone when they are young enough, you can put them off the bad tuff by talking about it with them before they're interested.

#1 son got a phone in y7 when he went to secondary.  He barely uses it.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2023, 09:37:40 am »
My three kids are secondary and sixth form age now. We went for a (relatively inexpensive) android Nokia offering at Christmas the year they started secondary school. I think this worked well - for that first autumn term they have so much to think about, and were always coming home with tales of classmates having phone mishaps! The eldest child got a more smart smartphone at sixth form - in order to be able to do cleverer to do list things etc.
We always had a cheapo dumb PAYG phone kicking around to be used as a spare by anyone. This bridged the gap between no phone and smart phone very well - useful for trips around the village etc in year 5 or 6. This might be something you want to consider - we found it useful that no-one would have been sad if this dumb phone ended up crushed at the playground etc. So as much as learning about the content of smartphones, it was also about learning personal responsibility for taking care of your stuff.
There was a spell where we had a cheap smartphone (Doogee I think?) for the purposes of Pokémon Go. So it wasn't really anyone's phone as such. The frightening speed with which it self-installed interesting malware was an instructive experience for the family...

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #20 on: 13 May, 2023, 08:33:02 pm »
I have one 11yo son - year 8.
He has a basic dumbphone which he rarely bothers to charge and we have to nag him to carry it. We're not worried about him being out and about locally, we live on a "development" (ok, new estate) within walking distance of the school so all the kids he sees are at his school anyway.

He has an Xbox X which he mainly uses for Minecraft and Rocket League, it's in the main room.

So it's all quite tame so far, but he does have the school iPad which they use for everything. It is quite tightly monitored, as he found out when he tried to research how to tie a noose for Scouts :) but he is online a LOT.

Pressure is building for a smartphone.

Update:
12 birthday is approaching and there has been much lobbying for a smartphone. I bought him a 2004 Cannondale F700 in blue instead. I hope he likes it (because it won't fit me!)
Everyone's favourite windbreak