Author Topic: Android/ID Mobile issue  (Read 1456 times)

Android/ID Mobile issue
« on: 26 May, 2023, 01:20:34 pm »
I cannot receive some calls on my phone. Or rather, the caller gets through, but my phone doesn't ring, so I'm notified of a missed call. This mainly happens with corporate calls using their systems. Mobile callers get through OK.

In the top bar of my Android screen, there is a 'no entry' type of sign. I've looked through settings, but, although I do recall setting something up, I've no idea if this is causing the problem, nor how to disable it.

Any ideas?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Android/ID Mobile issue
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:24:07 pm »
You have do not disturb on (The no entry bit)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:24:49 pm »
The 'no entry' symbol is Do Not Disturb mode, and it's normal for calls to be more aggressively filtered (usually there's a whitelist) when it's on.

Obviously android versions are a moving target, but there should be a thinger to frob it on and off in the same place as the ones for toggling WiFi, Bluetooth, flight mode, auto-rotate, etc

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:33:07 pm »
On mine, frobbing is done by dragging the top of the screen down and tapping the "no entry" sign. It changes from coloured in to grey then vanishes from your screen when you drag the sceen back up.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2023, 02:14:16 pm »
Thank you. I've turned off Do Not Disturb. A couple of weeks ago, I was waiting to hear about the results of an interview - although I wasn't going to take the job anyway - and I kept missing the calls, so I emailed to withdraw, so I'll never know now if I got offered it!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2023, 02:34:20 pm »
I'd suggest that DND mode (as opposed to, say, switching to silent) is one of the more genuinely useful features of modern smartphones, and it would be worth spending a few minutes familiarising yourself with how to use it effectively.

For example, mine is set to switch to DND automagically overnight, during which the usual email/messaging notifications are silenced, and the phone will only ring for a handful of trusted people (as configured somewhere in the phone stuff).