Author Topic: Lost my cycling mojo  (Read 22027 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Lost my cycling mojo
« Reply #50 on: 01 October, 2017, 02:45:37 pm »
Sorry this is a bit of a whinge, but I'm another one for the club. I've had a few aborted rides recently.

Yesterday for example should have been perfect. It was a sunny dry day with little wind. I sorted out a long ride to do, which could have finished my one of the AUK awards* off on the last day of the season if I had submitted it, and brought me back up to pace for my annual distance target. I had a decent night's sleep, woke up early ready to go - and didn't even manage to leave the house. For some reason I couldn't mentally face the time on the bike needed for a DIY 200, and then got annoyed with myself for not riding it so ended up not riding at all. :-[

I need to try something different I think. That might be playing in the mud on my hardtail, going for a short tour or maybe going back to hill walking for a while. Whatever I do, I need to change how I think about riding a bike. I've got myself into the position of putting pressure on myself to ride long rides, and doing that can make them start to feel like a chore, which is silly because I know I enjoy riding my bikes and that should be more important than any self imposed targets.

*Ok a minor award for many on here, but I would have been quite satisfied personally
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #51 on: 01 October, 2017, 04:02:23 pm »
I've got myself into the position of putting pressure on myself to ride long rides, and doing that can make them start to feel like a chore, which is silly because I know I enjoy riding my bikes and that should be more important than any self imposed targets.

I was feeling rubbish after PBP 2015 and had no real interest in cycling.  Relatively short tour with low daily miles and a variety of accommodation that guaranteed a bed and hot showers made an awful difference. No pressure worrying about control times and all that stuff.

Suddenly remembered l like riding a bike rather than I like riding a bike to gain points.

Go and just have fun!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #52 on: 01 October, 2017, 04:30:10 pm »
I think the perceived need to do long rides does create unnecessary pressure which becomes self-defeating. I have a monthly target of 300 miles and an annual target of 4000 miles. It doesn't matter how I get there. Long rides, short rides, they all count.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #53 on: 01 October, 2017, 06:02:50 pm »
It was directed at anyone who has lost their "Cycling mojo". And obvioulsy those who have ever listened to a Muddy Waters song....

It's a great suggestion. I might look into getting some ahead of my next long ride.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #54 on: 01 October, 2017, 07:32:48 pm »
I've probably said this before, try ditching the cycle computer/speedometer, whatever.

I find, for me, it lets me enjoy the ride more. However long or short I find that the numbers distract me in ways I didn't realise until I ditched it a few years back. Not a perfect cure for Mojo resuscitation, but it helps. You don't beat yourself up "I'm not as fast as I was/should be" etc etc

Obv, each to their own.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #55 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:01:31 pm »
Thank you for all the replies :)

In truth I was mainly having a whinge, and having had a think about it there may be other factors. I've had a few autumns/winters where I seem to feel a bit fed up (could be light, could be weather - it's windiest/wettest here in October), and I also have had motivational bad patches after achieving my main objectives for the year in the past. This year my main highlight was a tour in July, and along with being ill last month, I cut back cycling mainly to just commuting.

Also the distance target was based on last year, which was the best year I've had in that respect. With the gap over the summer I'm a good 1000km behind where I was this time last year, so trying to achieve the same target by the end of December was probably rather ambitious.

I'm not keen on losing the GPS - I like adding to my heat map and the nerd in me likes playing with numbers while riding (along with the calorie counting for MFP). I have just got rid of my Strava goal for the year though.

« Reply #56 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »
How about this? You're hardly in the ideal location, mind:

http://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-explorer-score-and-max-square/

There's also the cluster, and I'm working on mine until I find a window where they're not blowing shit up on the local army ranges (I have lots of those, being 10 miles away from Europe's largest army base).

« Reply #57 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:11:55 pm »
I'm well down on last year's mileage, too - but I expected to be (2016 was my biggest mileage ever), and deliberately didn't set any sort of mileage target this year. I've not really had any goals to aim for, though - just riding my bike when I feel like it. I do wonder whether I should set some sort of goals for 2018, because I end up just pootling about, or worse, not cycling at all. :-\

Anyway, today I dragged myself out for the second consecutive day, whoopee! Wetter than yesterday, but at least it was forecast today so I was appropriately dressed and on the winter bike, and had company as it was the club run. I think I'll try to keep at the Sunday club runs through the winter, as having a time and a place to meet gets me out and about when I lack the motivation to go out for a ride on my own.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #58 on: 01 October, 2017, 09:52:48 pm »
(2016 was my biggest mileage ever)

Watching you on Strava was making me quite depressed!

2016 was a bad year for me and 2017 has been worse.  On to 2018 ...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #59 on: 01 October, 2017, 09:54:25 pm »
How about this? You're hardly in the ideal location, mind:

http://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-explorer-score-and-max-square/

There's also the cluster, and I'm working on mine until I find a window where they're not blowing shit up on the local army ranges (I have lots of those, being 10 miles away from Europe's largest army base).

I might have a look at that, although I might need to take up scrambling and/or sea kayaking to get some of them round me :D

« Reply #60 on: 02 October, 2017, 02:02:24 am »
You say that almost as though it's a bad thing.

« Reply #61 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:39:22 am »
I need to try something different I think. That might be playing in the mud on my hardtail, going for a short tour or maybe going back to hill walking for a while. Whatever I do, I need to change how I think about riding a bike. I've got myself into the position of putting pressure on myself to ride long rides, and doing that can make them start to feel like a chore, which is silly because I know I enjoy riding my bikes and that should be more important than any self imposed targets.

I now hardly ever enjoy riding a bike. This year has been appalling. We DNF'd a 200 on Saturday- which I had been looking forward to- after only 20km. I was sitting on the back of the tandem virtually in tears, the idea of riding all day was so depressing.
I've done some walking, me & No1Daughter have hauled (me) skipped (her) over the 3 peaks, I have a New! Pink! hardtail, and I'm still commuting at least a couple of days most weeks.
I'm just in a holding pattern until the fun returns.  :-\

My interest was picqued by the explorer thing though. I love new roads.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #62 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:33:17 am »
I need to try something different I think.

This has worked for me in the past. Looking back to when I started this thread, I think it was taking up riding fixed gear that got me out of that particular spell in the doldrums.

Cyclocross is another good thing to try - ideal for this time of year, when bashing out yet another 200km audax on the roads is far less appealing than an hour of fast, high-intensity racing in the mud. I eschewed the local 200 to do my first cross race of the season yesterday and it felt hugely invigorating. Yeah, it's not going to make any meaningful contribution towards my annual mileage target, and I can kiss goodbye to that RRTY, but on the other hand, cycling is meant to be fun.

I'd love to get an MTB and get properly gnarly but the budget doesn't stretch to n+1 at the moment.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #63 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:40:32 am »
There seems to be a lot of it about. Apart from wearing grooves in the road on the commute I've hardly ridden this year, less than a dozen short rides really, cycling has become a bit of a chore really, once I can drag the bike out I still enjoy it but I've had little to no desire to actually get out. It'll come back at some point (hopefully), I do think commuting doesn't help, but the alternatives don't appeal.

« Reply #64 on: 03 October, 2017, 05:04:46 pm »
Well, my mojo has gone completely to the point that I booked a couple of days off last week with the idea of doing a big one (200 miles). Got up at 4:30, breakfast, readied the bike, then went back to bed. Eventually started the ride at 7 and managed 50 miles before realising that I was not bothered about the ride and going home was preferable. So I did. That just about sums up my head at the moment, I can't be bothered.

Hoping to get a new bike soon, a cyclocross bike to use as a winter stead. Going to try something different to see how this goes before I "winterfy" it. So maybe ride a bit on the canal or maybe a forest track. I just want to see if I can have fun on a bike again.

« Reply #65 on: 03 October, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »
Been affected by a large dose of CBA for the last couple of years and haven't done much riding at all. This year, without a lot of success, I've been forcing myself out as I'd agreed to a reunion trip with some cycling buddies and couldn't really go with no miles in my legs.
The reunion was in Mallorca, which must be close to cycling heaven. Silky, smooth tarmac, a wide variety of terrain and lots of sun. Generally, the roads were busy but the drivers were very courteous.
Did 320 miles in 6 days (which is my highest weekly mileage since 2014) including the ride out to Cap Formentir and the descent/ascent to and from Sa Calobra.
Got my mojo back and would recommend a trip to Mallorca for anyone who needs to do the same.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #66 on: 04 October, 2017, 12:35:04 pm »
I am surprised that no-one has suggested Seasonal Affective Disorder.  This happens to me every Autumn/Winter so it was suggested that I invest in a 'lightbox' which I did.  Not cheap (around £100) but it definitely works for me.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #67 on: 12 October, 2017, 03:07:42 pm »

It's great when you're out there but it is sometimes so difficult to get started.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #68 on: 12 October, 2017, 04:03:47 pm »
I'm just getting back into riding.  Been off the bike for several years.  Done my first little pootle to the shops this afternoon.  I remember that area where your picture is taken, Cudzoziemiec - I used to live in Posset (Portishead) as a teenager and used to ride around Kenn Moors and that area regularly.
Advena ego sum in Terra

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #69 on: 12 October, 2017, 07:47:32 pm »
hello stranger! 
I should perhaps pay that same signpost a visit next time I am in Nailsea with a bike (possibly the end of Nov).  Or even without, it's not exactly a long way and will give me somewhere to aim for when I get my helping of fresh air.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #70 on: 12 October, 2017, 07:54:28 pm »
I'm just getting back into riding.  Been off the bike for several years.  Done my first little pootle to the shops this afternoon.  I remember that area where your picture is taken, Cudzoziemiec - I used to live in Posset (Portishead) as a teenager and used to ride around Kenn Moors and that area regularly.
Ah, Port Zed!

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #71 on: 15 October, 2017, 09:09:33 pm »
When we lived there - in the 60s - the local rag - published in Nailsea - had a page called 'Posset Pie' with yokel news from the little village of Posset.
Advena ego sum in Terra

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #72 on: 15 October, 2017, 10:06:13 pm »
First time out on the bike since my fall at Wing in July. Only a very short pootle with Peter for a coffee. More an extended chat than a serious bike ride. Need to rinse & repeat.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #73 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:55:42 am »
When we lived there - in the 60s - the local rag - published in Nailsea - had a page called 'Posset Pie' with yokel news from the little village of Posset.
I think Portishead's grown quite a bit since the 60s! At a rough guess, I'd say it was bigger and livelier than Nailsea now.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #74 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:56:36 am »
The autumn leaves are beautiful right now, a little pootle to splosh through them is enjoyable.