Author Topic: BEAR BONES 200  (Read 13197 times)

BEAR BONES 200
« on: 16 October, 2012, 02:14:08 pm »
Did anyone do this? Was it fun?
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

Chris N

Re: BEAR BONES 200
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »
I started. :-[

« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2012, 08:18:35 am »
^ Oh, I guess you didn't finish.
I completed this event but it took way longer than I ever expected. I found it more bike pushing than packing.
Still wanting to know other folks thoughts, feelings and experiences.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2012, 08:55:50 am »
I got to the top of Hafren Forest, about 15 miles from the start, and was so annoyed by the weather, bogs and my lack of fitness that I turned round and headed back to the start.  I vaguely know most of the route, and know that it did get better from there on, but frankly couldn't be bothered to carry on.  I did have quite a nice afternoon back at the campsite in Bont Dolgadfan, snoozing, drinking beer and reading my book. :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:18:45 am »
What is it?  Looking for new off road challenges!

Chris N

PaulF

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2012, 10:10:33 am »

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2012, 10:24:56 am »
Brilliant. :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2012, 10:30:37 am »
Great write up!

« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2012, 02:16:37 pm »
Sounds great!

Hmmmm.... Next year?!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2012, 08:22:55 am »
 ;D

« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2012, 05:30:55 pm »
Been busy working so only just spotted this. Yes, I rode it. I've been doing some MTB enduro 'racing' and had some previous bikepacking experience so really fancied this as I thought my audax experience might help (I think it did for the overnight keeping my head in it part). I didn't recognised you Tim - you seem to have gained a beard since the Brevet Cymru in May - otherwise I would've had a chat before the off. Sounds like you had a much more laid back weekend than me. :thumbsup:

Here's my summary from the day after the ride:

It was a successful ride for me. Went out to go sub-24 and succeeded at 22.25hrs, with more than a little suffering during the last 50 miles.

My usual riding partner Chris n was on a 2day strategy so the plan was ride together until the devils staircase then I'd push on through the night. Chris' head wasn't in it though, and I left him stopping for a picnic about 20 miles in.

The ipod helped me on a lone run round claerwen and I dropped into the pub at Ponti-thingy for a coke just after 5pm. 3 others (Paul and Mark on singlespeeds looking cold, and Keith on a dropbarred Salsa) joined me for the climb from Strata Florida.

Back on my own by "Wales' wettest bridleway" I was caught by Rob Dean and, dreadful luck for him  spent the rest of the ride together.

We saw the singlespeeders again when we stopped for a cuppa at the YH about 9pm, cruised the road miles over the Staircase then set out across Carnau just before midnight.

Rob chose to stick around whilst I had a hike-a-bike low patch and reckoned we travelled 1 mile between 12.30am and 1.30am. His previous knowledge from the EWE meant we found our way down without too much mental anguish, but I have little interest in ever taking a bike over there again.

We discussed how we would reclaim some time on the road sections, but it was so cold and we were both battling tiredness that we trundled along just trying keep our heads in it. Bivvying 15 miles before the finish was discussed. Slight inclines were walked up to get some feeling back into frozen toes. At 5.30am Rob's garmin told us it was -3°C.

In the end we pushed on with some minor water-immersion and temperature related mechanicals. The final river crossing just before the road to the finish brought out a few choice words, but at 8.25am we finally coasted into the finish. It took me 10 minutes next to the fire to stop shivering enough not to spill my cup of tea over my hand!

So that was that. Black badge achieved. I'll not bother saying never again; I know how the memory of the horrors fade and these things get under your skin. Maybe next year...

« Reply #13 on: 01 November, 2012, 07:11:28 pm »
Hey Paul D,

I didn't know you did this crazy bike thing! My beard musta have grown over my eyes! (It was a protest beard by the way, now removed). Nice summary. See you somewhere in time - maybe Brevet Cyrmu 2013?!

Cheers

« Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2015, 03:56:06 pm »
I'm doing this at the weekend. The route looks relatively friendly.

Bike is ready.

Kit is ready.

I'm nursing the mother and father of all sore throats. Really hoping I don't go down with the cold my kids have  :(

PaulF

« Reply #15 on: 06 October, 2015, 04:10:46 pm »
Good luck!

« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2015, 02:21:14 pm »

BB200 is unfinished business. Was at front with Stuart C who came first on the YorkshireDales 200 and 300. His rear wheel needed a tubeless repair and I had repair kit to fix it - worked a charm. However, on descent to chip shop at 120km, my tyre blew completely. Leaking through tyre and rim tape due to a nail pushing in repeatedly. Whole pack of tubeless repair later, I reluctantly used my (I now realise woefully undersized) spare 2.1 tube (maybe a 2.4 would have been okay, but in retrospect, I should just take a 3.0 for stuff where a puncture would mean a miserable slog). A mile later, it let go. No matter how much I cleaned out the sealant, turns out glueless patches and sealant don't play nice. Stuart C left about 40 minutes later soon after his chips and other riders arrived. Nigel and Tim showed up with failed GPS, and we agreed to use my Etrex to get us back to the start. The final tubeless patch let go about a mile later, and Tim gave me his spare tube - would have been an expensive taxi ride otherwise. We rode 50km home on road (Etrex was awesome for this in a tricky situation).

Stuart C was in great form. I'd been doing 400km a week for the last couple of months, but he was always first to any gate and and bottom any the hill. I delayed him when my mechanical went on so long. My lessons were.

1. Don't scrimp on inner tubes to save weight
2. Refresh your sealant before a big event - a stanimal the size of a mouse fell out of the front tyre, despite the sealant being <3 months old
3. Don't rely on glueless patches - the topeaks don't work when sealant has been within a light year of the tyre, no matter how many chip shop napkins you use drying the tyre and tube.
4. Get a cumulus quilt - the bag I had no intention of using bag was 800g.
5. Get carbon Jones bars - my arms are feeling it.

All that notwithstanding, I was feeling great. The bike felt awesome, and was really enjoying the route. Felt I'd made some good kit choices, although I regretted forgetting sealskin socks and waterproof shorts given I wasn't running a seatpack - was sopping wet all day - marinading my shorts in Assos overnight, plus a generous slop saved me. Reckon I could save maybe a half kilo with carbon bars and a quilt, but regain it with a heavier spare tube and an extra tube until I get over this fail.

So, lots of lessons learned, but not least that Wales is amazing and beautiful and that Stuart and Dee run an amazing event. The hikeabike through unrideable, unnavigable filth only makes it more of an adventure - and the longest walk I've ever had to do. The best 170km/5000m ride I've done. Will be back for another crack at it next year.

Was great to meet Paul D at the start, and Peter on the 22yr old Cannondale whose two LEL bottles were the give away as to why he we ripping the legs off people on more modern gear.

« Reply #17 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:49:34 pm »
Yes, good to meet you too Ian. I spotted Peter too having a cuppa at 7.45am.

I'll not bother saying never again; I know how the memory of the horrors fade and these things get under your skin. Maybe next year...

Sooo....that's 2012, 2014 and 2015 now  :facepalm: