Author Topic: Can you tell what it is yet?  (Read 5152 times)

fuzzy

Can you tell what it is yet?
« on: 01 August, 2008, 04:49:19 pm »
Post an obscure picture- close up, object from odd angle etc. and see if we can identify what it is.

Here is one to start with-

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Can you tell what it is yet?
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2008, 04:52:53 pm »
 Left Retina of Matthew Langridge, today.

Melanotic spot.

No signs of hypertensive or diabetic retinopathy.
Normal optic cup.

fuzzy

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2008, 04:55:12 pm »

Melanotic spot.

Close but no cigar.

(Right retina) ;)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2008, 06:47:03 pm »

Melanotic spot.

Close but no cigar.

(Right retina) ;)

Somebody needs to slap the radiographer/optometrist then.  It's clearly marked as the left...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2008, 06:51:22 pm »
Perhaps that's Stage Left?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2008, 06:53:58 pm »
And apparently, it's his third eye on the left.

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:08:40 pm »
I find that the pre liquid they use really upsets my eyes and stings like a wasp.

fuzzy

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:32:25 pm »
I find that the pre liquid they use really upsets my eyes and stings like a wasp.

At least they only did one eye. Imagine trying to cycle through London with both pupils blown by the fluid. Blown pupils really reduces the eyes equivalant of Depth of Field and its' ability to focus.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2008, 08:01:03 pm »

I have annual tests for Glaucoma as my Mum has it. The drops you get that dilate your eyes are harsh. I cycle up to the hospital (30km each way) and have to wear industrial strength shades coming home as it's so bright - even on a dull day :(.

« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2008, 08:50:50 am »
I get the same test since I'm diabetic, I usually get Nats to come and fetch me afterwards.  I'm not sure it's good to cycle with your eyes in that state when they tell you you can't drive!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2008, 01:22:03 pm »
I get the same test since I'm diabetic, I usually get Nats to come and fetch me afterwards.  I'm not sure it's good to cycle with your eyes in that state when they tell you you can't drive!

Collected by private jet?  NATS

Very posh - but not very green....  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #11 on: 05 August, 2008, 05:05:47 pm »

I have annual tests for Glaucoma as my Mum has it. The drops you get that dilate your eyes are harsh. I cycle up to the hospital (30km each way) and have to wear industrial strength shades coming home as it's so bright - even on a dull day :(.

I've had annual tests for glaucoma for ten years now, but nobody's ever given me drops. Now I feel that I'm missing out.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 05 August, 2008, 05:31:01 pm »

I've had annual tests for glaucoma for ten years now, but nobody's ever given me drops. Now I feel that I'm missing out.

It depends on the technique used to measure intraocular pressure.
In one, they just blast a puff of air at the unanaesthetised eye and record how it 'bounces'. This is quick, cheap and slightly unreliable.
The other technique requires an instrument to be applied onto the cornea. This requires the use of local anaesthetic drops, which smart and sting.

When the retina is photographed, or examined in detail, drops are used to dilate the pupil. This also paralyses the focusing mechanism.

It's really best to get a lift back from the eye clinic after this. I took the bus and was OK.

Pete

« Reply #13 on: 05 August, 2008, 05:48:28 pm »
I had something like this (or was it?) done to me when I was about eight years old.  First eye test, first NHS glasses, etc...  In those days they'd put a drop of atropine in each eye.  Couldn't see properly for days after, had to take time off school.  So what was all that about, I ask now - fifty years later?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 05 August, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »
I had something like this (or was it?) done to me when I was about eight years old.  First eye test, first NHS glasses, etc...  In those days they'd put a drop of atropine in each eye.  Couldn't see properly for days after, had to take time off school.  So what was all that about, I ask now - fifty years later?

Kids' eyes can have a huge depth of focus and it's necessary to stop the focussing to calibrate the true degree of suspected long-sightedness. This long-sightedness is often associated with a 'lazy' eye and squint.