Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 443785 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3500 on: 20 December, 2022, 12:50:24 am »
Not sure if this counts as divvery or a senior moment...

Yesterday I cooked two portions of curry.  I clingfilmed one, to put in the fridge for low-effort cooking today, and ate the other.

Come teatime, it wasn't in the fridge.  I realised it wasn't in the fridge when I'd jibbled the thermostat earlier this afternoon, either.  I wondered if my sense of time was faulty, and I'd somehow lost a day, but counting the plates in the plate cupboard suggested that one was missing.  Eventually I found it.  In the microwave.   :facepalm:

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3501 on: 20 December, 2022, 04:33:43 am »
The microwave is my mum's favourite place to put frozen mince to defrost, not by using the defrost option, just by leaving it to defrost. Somebody usually realises what she has done a few days later when trying to find the cause of the stink.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3502 on: 23 December, 2022, 04:02:46 pm »
Brought my laptop down to Fort Larrington.   Touchpad needs to be turned back on manually.  App does not respond to usual combination of tabs and arrow keys.  Discovered I left the trackball at Larrington Towers.

Arse!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3503 on: 23 December, 2022, 07:24:52 pm »
Just wrapping some gifts. It's been so many months since I bought one in particular that I'd completely forgotten that I'd treated myself to something at the same time. So that was a nice surprise  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3504 on: 23 December, 2022, 10:35:32 pm »
I see someone has started a thread on how to avoid getting locked out of your home.

Here’s a good tip: leave your back door wide open and you’ll never have any trouble getting back in.

:facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3505 on: 23 December, 2022, 10:37:46 pm »
I see someone has started a thread on how to avoid getting locked out of your home.

Here’s a good tip: leave your back door wide open and you’ll never have any trouble getting back in.

Choice  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3506 on: 23 December, 2022, 10:44:29 pm »

I have a friend who hardly ever locks her back door. I'm not even sure that she has a key. She did have, because she gave me a spare, but she recently had the lock changed because the handle became loose. But even before that, I think she left it unlocked pretty well all the time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3507 on: 23 December, 2022, 10:47:24 pm »
One of the things I love about visiting a friend in the Hebrides is that no-one ever seems to lock their door (or their car)! So any deliveries get delivered right into the house if she is out.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3508 on: 24 December, 2022, 06:25:43 am »
First House i had, coming home after honeymoon my parents had dropped some presents off on their way home, and we had ended up with a set of spare keys that did not fit.  After spending the night in my car, I broke in with a Swiss army knife.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

« Reply #3509 on: 24 December, 2022, 07:05:25 am »
I should add, our “back” door is the main one we use for coming in and out of the house, and is actually front facing, ie you can see it from the driveway.

It always gets a bit sticky at this time of year, hence I obviously failed to shut it properly when we were on our way out, though I could have sworn I locked it.

Luckily, we don’t appear to have had any visitors.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3510 on: 24 December, 2022, 07:37:10 am »
Our front door has to be locked with a key rather than latching automatically. We've occasionally returned from shopping to find the key still in the lock, on the outside.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3511 on: 24 December, 2022, 09:45:06 am »
I found Pingu's keys in the door when I got back from work a few times, pre pandemic.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3512 on: 24 December, 2022, 10:24:38 am »
There are fewer evil buggers about than you'd think.

citoyen

« Reply #3513 on: 24 December, 2022, 10:32:41 am »
We've occasionally returned from shopping to find the key still in the lock, on the outside.

Oh yes, BTDT etc

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3514 on: 24 December, 2022, 06:09:39 pm »
Been doing my head in with a recent new bad development on a few years old iMac and its 'Magic Mouse'

Random problem, if one clicked on an app icon in the Dock, instead of it bouncing up and down and immediately loading the selected app - a sub menu window would appear ::-)

Duh! There's a fine line between left click and right click on the smooth 'no joins' Magic Mouse. Even though I've been using this mouse for years, my right hand index finger must be leaning more to the right in advancing years? Or perhaps my wrist action has deteriorated?

What a relief though to know :)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3515 on: 24 December, 2022, 06:14:19 pm »
I wish I could remember where I put my brothers Christmas present.

« Reply #3516 on: 26 December, 2022, 06:19:21 pm »
During the recent cold-snap I have been using my dehumidifier quite a lot and came to the
conclusion that it was faulty, as the plastic container didn't seem to collect much water. I even
went as far as following a thread on this forum about recommendations for new units and actually
pressed the button to purchase a Meacodry ABC 10 from John Lewis*, only to realise that
the most probable and likely reason that the Ebac 2650e I have wasn't collecting much water was
because I had new double-glazed windows installed in July this year, so no cold draughts in the house.

* I was able to cancel the order a few minutes after placing it.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3517 on: 26 December, 2022, 07:22:27 pm »
Don't think having new DG units has much bearing on humidity. You could always buy a cheap RH meter (Shelly H&T), or some even cheaper Chinese tat off Amazon).
We have had issues in the past where our desiccant dehumidifier stopped working (the air coming out the front of it was no longer warm), same observations.

« Reply #3518 on: 26 December, 2022, 08:22:24 pm »

Don't think having new DG units has much bearing on humidity. You could always buy a cheap RH meter (Shelly H&T), or some even cheaper Chinese tat off Amazon).
We have had issues in the past where our desiccant dehumidifier stopped working (the air coming out the front of it was no longer warm), same observations.
Well I know my house, and the dehumidifier's plastic tank used to fill up regularly when house
was cold and draughty. Not so much since the new windows were installed. What would you put
it down to?

Not sure what I'd use a RH meter for (as I don't know what it is).

The dehumidifier is working.
 :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3519 on: 26 December, 2022, 08:56:54 pm »
When I borrowed nikki's dehumidifier, it did an excellent job of filling the tank with water, but made no appreciable difference to the humidity in the room as measured by the Relative Humidity meter.  Presumably on account of there being a constant flow of fresh damp air coming through the draughty old windows (since replaced with less draughty double glazing).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3520 on: 26 December, 2022, 09:21:41 pm »
...Not sure what I'd use a RH meter for (as I don't know what it is)...

I think it's supposed to tell you what your left hand's doing.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3521 on: 26 December, 2022, 10:15:43 pm »
In the cold snap the humidity dropped quite a lot - I have a monitor for my guitars - could it be that because the air was drier there was less moisture to extract?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3522 on: 26 December, 2022, 10:36:06 pm »
Eexactly.  Cold air holds less moisture than warm air (hence relative humidity).  When the weather gets cold, the outdoor air is heated more to reach the same indoor temperature, but the total amount of moisture remains the same, so the relative humidity drops.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3523 on: 26 December, 2022, 10:43:16 pm »
I was told by my piano salesman that I needed to keep the humidity level in the piano room at at least 50% for the purposes of the 5 year guarantee. During the recent, and other, cold snaps it's been as low as 40%, but I have a humidifier in there for such eventualities. It's not a big device in a room about 3.5 * 3.5 * 2.5, so a fair bit of volume. It seems to bring the level up by 3 or 4% overnight.

Fortunately, the piano is a Blüthner, which I understand to be one of the more stable makes when it comes to tuning etc. It's still in tune despite the dry, cold spell.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3524 on: 27 December, 2022, 08:51:31 am »
Eexactly.  Cold air holds less moisture than warm air (hence relative humidity).  When the weather gets cold, the outdoor air is heated more to reach the same indoor temperature, but the total amount of moisture remains the same, so the relative humidity drops.

And we get static shocks when we put the blanket over the parrot's cage at night.

A chum told me years ago that since the shock you feel is really your muscles contracting, if you clench your fist tightly and earth yourself through a knuckle a static shock won't jolt you. It works.