Author Topic: Islabikes Pro Series  (Read 8352 times)

Islabikes Pro Series
« on: 27 May, 2016, 08:49:10 pm »
It seems that Islabikes have launched a new range called the Pro-Series: http://www.islabikes.co.uk/islabikes-pro-series
They look absolutely gorgeous, but they are seriously expensive.  Is there really a market out there for a singlespeed bike for a four year old priced at £799? Am I out of touch with the burgeoning U6 racing circuit? ;) Or are they aimed at the parent who rides a pro standard bike themselves and is looking for something similar for their offspring?
This post is not intended as a criticism - my daughter is on her third Islabike and I think the standard bikes are great, so if they can sell these bikes then more power to their pedals. Maybe it's just that I've never paid that for a bike for me (and I've owned 2 of my current fleet for over 10 years).
Cheers
Duncan

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Islabikes Pro Series
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:55:15 pm »
Is there really a market out there for a singlespeed bike for a four year old priced at £799? Am I out of touch with the burgeoning U6 racing circuit? ;)

Have you been to the Mildenhall Rally?  The Chelmer CC folks would snap them up.

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2016, 11:16:49 pm »
Is there really a market out there for a singlespeed bike for a four year old priced at £799? Am I out of touch with the burgeoning U6 racing circuit? ;)

Have you been to the Mildenhall Rally?  The Chelmer CC folks would snap them up.
No, sadly I've not been to Mildenhall. Sounds like fun! :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:58:17 am »
I can imagine they'll sell like hotcakes around certain bits of the country (SW London especially where there are enough people with plenty of money and a healthy 'keeping up with the Joneses' attitude to consumerism). Also helps if they retain their value, as the 'normal' Islabikes do, as it makes it cheap to upgrade to the next size.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »
Seen deep section carbon in under 10s (youth D) bisca circuit racing, and several kids at bike club rock up on dad's previous season's wheels.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:08:17 pm »
Also, let's not overlook that while Islabikes are, IIRC, under some sort of contractual obligation not to produce adult bikes, that doesn't stop the larger models being a good fit for smaller adults.  Who may be just as interested in carbon bling as anyone else...

« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:18:32 pm »
Also, let's not overlook that while Islabikes are, IIRC, under some sort of contractual obligation not to produce adult bikes

Despite the 'adult bikes' section on their website?

And according to their sizing charts the Beinn 29 Large is for people who are 181-195cm tall. I don't think 6'4" is a 'smaller adult'.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:20:08 pm »
Maybe that's no longer the case then (I must admit to only having had a cursory look at the webpage).  Good for them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2016, 04:33:27 pm »
ISTR there was an embargo after Isla left Halfords
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »
But only for a limited period AIUI.
Rust never sleeps