Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333209 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #1350 on: 12 November, 2018, 07:34:57 am »
What channel?

BBC

Re-watched the first episode yesterday because there were a few things I didn’t quite understand... Ah! Now I see...

it’s one of those series where they feed you bits of information that only become important later. More alert viewers than me will probably do a better job of noticing the “save this one in your memory bank for later” cues.

Also some of the dialogue is a bit clunkier than I noticed first time around but the acting is strong enough to carry it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1351 on: 12 November, 2018, 07:43:50 am »
Been watching the Little Drummer Girl, another Le Carre adaptation I think?  Starting to ratchet up the tension a bit now.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1352 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:02:39 am »
What channel?

BBC

Re-watched the first episode yesterday because there were a few things I didn’t quite understand... Ah! Now I see...

it’s one of those series where they feed you bits of information that only become important later. More alert viewers than me will probably do a better job of noticing the “save this one in your memory bank for later” cues.

Also some of the dialogue is a bit clunkier than I noticed first time around but the acting is strong enough to carry it.
We watched the first episode last night - you're right, it's very good.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1353 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:59:53 pm »
Yes, we watched Informer last night too and liked it, not sure it will make 6 episodes though, we'll see.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1354 on: 15 November, 2018, 10:00:52 am »
The evening news on any channel should be a corker tonight :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1355 on: 15 November, 2018, 10:36:53 am »
Something happening...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1356 on: 15 November, 2018, 11:50:13 am »
The evening news on any channel should be a corker tonight :)

I'm going to be watching RT...for the lolz

« Reply #1357 on: 18 November, 2018, 05:43:16 pm »
Country file, worth a look tonight

« Reply #1358 on: 19 November, 2018, 11:14:44 am »
Documentary on Primal Scream going back to Memphis to revisit the studios where they recorded 'Give Out...
The album was remixed and the original tracks (produced by Tom Dowd) forgotten about then the gtr player found a cassette of the original.

« Reply #1359 on: 20 November, 2018, 07:56:26 am »
Last night, but will be on iPlayer. Documentary about Billy Monger covering the year after his F4 accident and loss of his legs. Remarkable.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1360 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:17:00 am »
Last night, but will be on iPlayer. Documentary about Billy Monger covering the year after his F4 accident and loss of his legs. Remarkable.
Didn't watch all of that, but the in-car (full speed) footage of his crash is the scariest thing I've ever seen on a racetrack. He had absolutely f-all time to do a thing about that one.

Good luck to him  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1361 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:42:35 am »
Watching Anne Hegarty on I'm a Celebrity and hoping she can put her Asbergers Syndrome to one side and complete the trial she has been set.  Can't be easy.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1362 on: 20 November, 2018, 07:45:22 pm »
Didn't watch all of that, but the in-car (full speed) footage of his crash is the scariest thing I've ever seen on a racetrack. He had absolutely f-all time to do a thing about that one.

Good luck to him  :thumbsup:

It was the most terrifying thing I'd seen too until seeing footage of Sophia Flörsch's F3 crash in Macau on Sunday.  She and Billy Monger raced against each other in Ginetta Juniors a few years ago.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1363 on: 22 November, 2018, 06:07:53 pm »
Allegedly miss ham is an interviewee on London tonight about the impact of cuts on the NHS to new mothers. Of course, tonight I'm in North Norfolk

« Reply #1364 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:25:00 am »
What channel?

BBC

Finished last night - wow!  I think I'm going to re-watch the first few mins of the first episode to see if any of the later events are telegraphed.

Better than the over-hyped Bodyguard in my book.  Up there with Killing Eve.

« Reply #1365 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:39:47 am »
Not tonight (inevitably with me) but Storyville. What a fantastic strand. Documentaries with no voice-overs, just occasional on-screen captions to explain, otherwise cinema verite. The last “Hurt Locker Hero” culled from DVD’s recorded by the main character, an Iranian Kurd “de-miner” in Mosul. The Americans called him “Crazy Fakhir”. The previous was an expose of DuPont (and to a certain extent 3M” regarding the use and disposal of “C8”, a component in the manufacture of Teflon. It’s now in the blood of 97% of Americans. It’s also probably in my and your blood.

« Reply #1366 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:50:09 am »
The Vikings on BBC4. History of.... with Neil Oliver (actually on last night)

« Reply #1367 on: 01 December, 2018, 05:27:56 pm »
Tonight, or indeed any night, assuming you have the UKTV “player”. “Brokenwood”, a kind of Kiwi Midsomer Murders I guess you could say, but snappy and engaging.

« Reply #1368 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:49:58 pm »
Watching Anne Hegarty on I'm a Celebrity and hoping she can put her Asbergers Syndrome to one side and complete the trial she has been set.  Can't be easy.
I'm not sure anyone can put Aspergers Syndrome to one side. If you could, you'd no longer have it. I'm amazed she's still in. Maybe it's the cruelty of the people who vote. They just want to see her point blank refuse to do certain parts of trials and starve the rest of camp.

This has been an enjoyable series though. Everyone seems to get along and there's been no major hissy fits. That's one of the reasons I like the show - the nicest people nearly always win....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1369 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:14:48 pm »
Both my sons have Asperger's. You can't surprise them AT ALL. Everything we do has to be notified in advance and planned. Stuff like going on holiday, we can't just stick a pin in a map, both are extremely nervous if they're not in familiar surroundings. That's why we keep going back to Center Parcs, Eurocamp and central France.

Imagine if you will having to 'sell' a trip to a burger joint to 2 teenagers. Not as extreme as Rain Man but even going to the 'wrong' Pizza Hut or similar can often mean one or the other will refuse to eat. The younger has extremely sensitive hearing (like a cat comes hurtling when he hears a tin opener rattle) which often means he can't stand crowds or loud music etc.

You can no more put Asperger's 'aside' than help a depressed person to 'man up and snap out of it'!

What an insensitive comment.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #1370 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:36:41 pm »
What channel?

BBC

I thought the last episode was superb.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1371 on: 16 December, 2018, 10:39:38 pm »
Late to the party as ever but intrigued by Berlin Station on Channel 4. CIA spooks in Berlin.
I started Friday night and ended up binge watching the first 6 episodes on All 4.

Plot twists on plot twists and doesn't portray the CIA in a good light. The 'good guys' aren't always the good guys and the 'bad guys' are really devious. Reminded me of The ICRESS File, espionage & counter terrorism isn't glamorous.

The first eight episodes are on All 4 and the last two come up this week, there's just time to catch up
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1372 on: 26 December, 2018, 09:47:35 pm »
We are watching "The ABC Murders".  We do not believe the phrase or saying "vinegar tits" was A Thing in 1933, and Bexhill's De La Warr Pavilion certainly wasn't.

Could do better.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1373 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:40:21 am »
We are watching "The ABC Murders".  We do not believe the phrase or saying "vinegar tits" was A Thing in 1933, and Bexhill's De La Warr Pavilion certainly wasn't.

Could do better.
Ah - we must have been watching a different "ABC Murders"; ours wasn't a documentary about a 1933 serial killer.

Ours was a highly enjoyable fictional period crime drama with the excellent John Malkovich*  :thumbsup:

*Who wasn't alive in 1933. Otherwise I guess we might have thought it was a doc.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1374 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:16:57 am »

Could do better.

Aye well, according to Netflux's Outlaw Prince, Robert the Bruce occasionally said 'OK'.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight