Author Topic: End of an era for me  (Read 2706 times)

End of an era for me
« on: 23 August, 2020, 12:38:24 pm »
Due to age and a recurring knee problem i have reluctantly concluded my time on recumbent bikes is coming to an end.  :-[ (trikes might be possible).

I recently put my Gaucho up for sale as it was proving to be the more difficult of the two. However even the Fuego is causing problems for me. So the time has come to finish with bent two wheelers.
Ironically I am finding life easier on my conventional bikes.

So I am going to put my Fuego up for sale as well and see if I can get hold of a trike to try out. This age thing is a bummer!

Re: End of an era for me
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2020, 02:53:47 pm »
Real shame.  Have you considered e-assist? 
I think this age thing is very much horses for courses - I knew a 70+ yo who would only cycle their single brakes fixed gear "as anything else was too hard".

There was an e-assist ICE trike on BHPC, not sure if it's still available.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2020, 04:22:05 pm »
Yes I've considered it but I'm not convinced it's a solution for me.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2020, 06:15:29 pm »
Join the club - I too have completed my recumbent riding. Electric bikes are the way forward for things like knee issues, will keep you on the road. Good luck.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2020, 06:25:33 pm »
All journeys come to an end. I think my owning mtn bikes has come to an end, at least for now, but who knows.  Good luck on the next stage with electric bikes of whatever format .

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:00:20 pm »
Really sorry to hear that Reggieboy  :(

And thank you again for your incredibly helpful and patient advice about recumbents.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to go on to

best wishes

Martin
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2020, 08:49:21 pm »
Commiserations.

FWIW My Mate Terry Who Art in Sibton sent me a press cutting a while back from the EA Daily Times about a nonagenarian who was still knocking out 6000 miles per year, on an upright.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2020, 06:00:54 pm »
Thanks for the comments. I am going to explore the world of E bikes. They might help me extend my riding life for a few years yet. I also ride motorbikes along with my father in law who is 87 and still riding (and kickstarting) a 1954 Triumph Thunderbird!

« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2020, 06:10:17 pm »
Bit of a Wild One, then?!

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2020, 06:16:39 pm »
Keep us posted on your e-bike choices - always interested to know what people choose in that area. I think you might want to look at some of the crank motor kits on the internet - 500 watts is quite an eye opener.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2020, 01:31:30 pm »
Bit of a Wild One, then?!
Indeed he is!!

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2020, 05:08:01 pm »
I put off parting with my Fuego. My knee has improved but just doesn't like the launch of my bents. So it is now on E Bay. Looking at a Ribble Gravel E bike!