Author Topic: Not-cycling  (Read 12579 times)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Not-cycling
« on: 29 July, 2012, 06:27:54 pm »
One thing I'm enjoying so far is the opportunity to watch sports that don't usually get much coverage in the UK:

Italy's sudden death need for a ten in archery with one arrow to go...
Oates going out of the Judo, and the corner judges being overridden to send Ebinuma Masashi through to the semis after they'd already given the match to Cho Jun-Ho.
Sabre - so fast and furious that it's mostly simultaneous hits, or video referee calls. Needs super-slo-mo cameras, as a friend of mine suggested.

It'll be another four years before any of these are on again.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Not-cycling
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2012, 06:32:48 pm »
Beach volleyball.  The audience there for the women's games seems to be mainly middle-aged men.  Seems to be a proper sport though, and not just a posing contest.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »
The lightweight weightlifting is always impressive, and is full of sneaky gamesmanship from the coaches as they change the posted weights for their athletes to alter lifting order or mess with each others' minds.  And then a pocket Kazakh rips up the world record.  :)

The team archery has been a lot more exciting than I expected.  Amazing what a ticking clock can do!

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2012, 09:07:14 pm »
Wow!

In weightlifting with a large field, it gets split into A and B groups, and the expectation is that the B's will be the lower-placed lifters.  They lift for PB's and placement instead of medals.

In the men's 56kg class, a dude from the B group just won! That's never happened! Ever!

I have taken this as divine instruction to tell Zoe Smith, our lady lifter going in tomorrow's B group (over lunch) to pack her lucky lifting knickers, because you never know. :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »
Can I be the first to praise Zoe for her clean snatch?

(90kg, if anyone's interested).

Well surely SOMEONE was going to say it? No? OK, IGMC ...

(Go Zoe! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
Where is the Jerk?
It is simpler than it looks.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »
Enjoyed the handball, once I'd worked out he rules

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »
Where is the Jerk?
Dunno, but apparently short arms are very helpful.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2012, 01:55:47 pm »
You need Eurosport! Minority sports abound on that

« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2012, 02:13:24 pm »
If the BBC got its act together they would show more minority sports, instead of concentrating their sport effort on highlights of the Premiership.
I bet they regret not having the TDF , but it was minority to them until Wiggo was in the lead and tipped to win.
By definition minority is never that popular but that doesnt mean it cant be good TV for armchair sports fans.

« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2012, 02:20:40 pm »
I'm old enough to remember when Channel 4 had the tour (before I liked cycling) and my brother would torture me, by watching and refusing to change channel.

I remember when an evening's TV was something like show jumping (horse of the year show), or televised bowls. They're sports that have fallen by the wayside.

« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2012, 02:54:52 pm »
C4 also had city centre cycling .
Showjumping is still a good spectator sport, just too elitist and rural for the  BBC.
Used to see motocross aka scrambling and even speedway.

« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »
Enjoyed the handball, once I'd worked out he rules

We had the telly on while surfing, as background action, and I looked up at one point to find that the water polo had become volleyball. For a minute, I wondered what had happened to the pool....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 30 July, 2012, 06:39:09 pm »
Where is the Jerk?
Dunno, but apparently short arms are very helpful.
She set a new British record in the 56kg ladies' class at 121 kg.   :o

You could see her head wasn't quite right for the snatch, but she got her head admirably in the game for the C&J.  Personal best and British record, can't ask more than that! And afterwards dissing the trolls.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:10:30 pm »
Tense moments in the gymnasium...

(click to show/hide)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #15 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »
It was only a silver bronze FFS. Anyone would have thought they'd won the way the commentators were wetting themselves...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #16 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:30:19 pm »
I was mesmerised yesterday by the women's synchronised diving, and gutted I missed the men's by being at work. I've just been watching the gymnastics. They're like CGI people. Real people can't do that!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #17 on: 30 July, 2012, 07:50:14 pm »
I Love watching the gymnastics. We'll be iplayering it as soon as we get in.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #18 on: 30 July, 2012, 08:45:57 pm »
I'm watching the men's 10m synchro diving on catchup, even though I don't like watching sport once the result is known. It enthralls me.

At some point this afternoon a friend I follow on twitter tweeted "MONOBROW." I think it was triggered by the Mexican pair.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jakob

« Reply #19 on: 31 July, 2012, 04:21:10 am »
Synchro diving is a bizarre sport..maybe they should also introduce synchro pole vaulting?>
Same goes for the million different swimming disciplines. I mean, you don't see them have 400m backwards run in track & field.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Not-cycling
« Reply #20 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:42:56 am »
The team archery has been a lot more exciting than I expected.  Amazing what a ticking clock can do!

Team archery was fantastic. I'm watching the women's individual at the moment and it's gripping. Brit Naomi Folkard doing very well - just had a cracking win against the Russian. She'll be up against the winner of this Iran vs Mexico match, which has started with both women scoring 10 on their opening two shots...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Not-cycling
« Reply #21 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:45:07 am »
I Love watching the gymnastics. We'll be iplayering it as soon as we get in.

I've not seen much of it so far but I'll try to catch up on iplayer cos it's great. Still haven't seen any of the medal winning men's performances. Saw Beth Tweddle on the asymmetric/uneven bars though. Truly awesome.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #22 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:49:19 am »
Japan have a hockey player called Badass :D

« Reply #23 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:59:02 am »
Synchro diving is a bizarre sport..maybe they should also introduce synchro pole vaulting?>
Same goes for the million different swimming disciplines. I mean, you don't see them have 400m backwards run in track & field.

Any sport that has to introduce a synchronised version of itself is clearly not a proper sport in the first place IMHO. 

« Reply #24 on: 31 July, 2012, 10:09:57 am »
It was only a silver bronze FFS. Anyone would have thought they'd won the way the commentators were wetting themselves...
First medal in 100 years is I believe what you are referring to by a young team not expecting to win a medal and you make comments like that.  How churlish can you get?

Do we detract from Lizzie's silver bearing in mind Nicole got gold last time? Of course we don't. Were the commentators right to get excited over Becky's bronze when she was not expected to get a medal?  Or perhaps another comment by someone, who I am guessing is not in that league of athletic ability, might be considered more worthwhile.

Surely we should be pleased and celebrate success that reflects many years of hard work, dedication and support, rather than make such crass comments?  I don’t believe getting a bronze medal at the Olympics is an easy matter.

Superb result IMO and one we should all celebrate.