Author Topic: Liverpool  (Read 24788 times)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
Re: Liverpool
« Reply #150 on: 26 January, 2024, 10:45:09 pm »
Or perhaps a chorus of that old Bee gees classic "Mass o' chew sets" to serenade Herr Klopp off?   

I can see either (a) him being persuaded to stay on a bit a la Sir Alex or (b) being brought back sharpish if his replacement isn't a rip roaring success. 

« Reply #151 on: 27 January, 2024, 05:07:22 pm »
More likely to be heading for the national side, I think, if he stays in the game at all.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #152 on: 27 January, 2024, 06:22:35 pm »
If it's the constant pressure that's getting to him, then he will take a break from the game for a while.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Liverpool
« Reply #153 on: 28 January, 2024, 01:33:31 pm »
I can see either (a) him being persuaded to stay on a bit a la Sir Alex or (b) being brought back sharpish if his replacement isn't a rip roaring success.

Nah. He’s not the type to go back. If he does ever return to management, it won’t be in England. German national team does seem the most likely option.

A lot of Man United’s current problems are down to not having proper succession planning in place when Ferguson retired. I’ve also seen it suggested that Ferguson deliberately “salted the ground” to ensure his replacement wasn’t a success. Which is an interesting theory.

Circumstances are very different at Liverpool. They are run very differently. It will be a clean break. Klopp has already explicitly stated that he will have no say in appointing his replacement.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #154 on: 28 January, 2024, 01:54:05 pm »
A lot of Man United’s current problems are down to not having proper succession planning in place when Ferguson retired. I’ve also seen it suggested that Ferguson deliberately “salted the ground” to ensure his replacement wasn’t a success. Which is an interesting theory.

The spent months prepping for Moyes' takeover.  Mind you this may have included Ferguson's man-traps!  I've always suspected that MU's subsequent demise (right up to the present) is in part due to the red-nosed one's omnipresence and meddling with whoever is in charge.  Can't be a pleasant experience.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #155 on: 28 January, 2024, 01:54:18 pm »

They spent months prepping for Moyes' takeover.  Mind you this may have included Ferguson's man-traps!  I've always suspected that MU's subsequent demise (right up to the present) is in part due to the red-nosed one's omnipresence and meddling with whoever is in charge.  Can't be a pleasant experience.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #156 on: 28 January, 2024, 03:25:09 pm »
The spent months prepping for Moyes' takeover.

Ferguson had to postpone his original retirement plans because the club just weren’t prepared for it to happen.

They still don’t look like they’ve come to terms with the loss 10 years later.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #157 on: 01 February, 2024, 10:09:20 am »

You might even argue that Man Utd have never been a well run club, after Matt Busby left they even went down to the old Div2 in the early 70's
after which they never really competed for titles until the 90's. In those days much smaller clubs (Leeds, Villa, Derby, Notts Forest) all went on to win the league
and on occasion even the European cup.

So in that respect the last 10 years look like normal service has been resumed.... Perhaps Fergie was a genius.

With respect to Klopp, I remember when Shankly left (was also a shock at that time) commentators said it would be the beginning of the end and we
all know what Bob Paisley went on to achieve. Stable management and good ownership is as important as to what is on the field. (See Chelsea)
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #158 on: 25 February, 2024, 07:24:31 pm »
Yeeeessss!  Moral and actual victory  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #159 on: 25 February, 2024, 10:03:04 pm »
 :thumbsup: