Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143023 times)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #75 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:16:34 pm »
Anyone desperately trying to avoid finding out the results would be a fucking idiot to come to a cycling forum and open a topic entitled "Tour de France 2012"!!

Well said that man.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #76 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »
Sagan  :thumbsup:
Cancellara
Boassen Hagan
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #77 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
That was an epic last few km.. Just how crazy was that?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #78 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »
Cancellara
Boassen Hagan

Ahem - someone was on about spoilers :P

(click to show/hide)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #79 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »
That was an epic last few km.. Just how crazy was that?

Epic, from a ride viewpoint, yes, it was like the finishline was at top of the hill in the Hovis adverts (alternating tarmac and pave).

Drama-wise it scores a resounding nil point from the Yorkshire judges though...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #80 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:47:09 pm »
Riis must be happy, his former track rider got the polkadot.  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #81 on: 01 July, 2012, 05:02:11 pm »
With that big hill at the end it was like a Formula 1 audax ;D

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #82 on: 01 July, 2012, 05:14:12 pm »
Cancellara
Boassen Hagan

Ahem - someone was on about spoilers :P

(click to show/hide)

Wiggo finished safely in the pack so loses no time  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #83 on: 01 July, 2012, 08:49:03 pm »
Sagan's quite a talent isn't he? But once again Cancellara showed colossal strength to mullah the peloton. If Sagan and Boassen Haagen had done a turn the three of them would have nicked a few seconds.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #84 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:07:41 pm »
Watching them on that hill at the end, it looked pretty steep, although as the commentators said, it was worse at the bottom.  I suspect I'd be puffing going up that at any speed. ;D

It looked a bit like Cancellara was watching for the two on his tail, and getting ready to try and out-sprint them.  Since what he wanted was just time, it looked to me like he should have ignored them and just hammered on as fast as he could.  If he'd got a small gap in before the peloton, he'd have gained a few seconds instead of just staying in the same position.

It's going to be interesting to see how Sagan does.
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

« Reply #85 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:31:35 pm »
Why would cancellara need time? He wanted the win.  Sagan is really talented and tactically was spot on, picking cancellara's wheel to sit on.  If they had got a few seconds, Eddie Boyson-Haggis (honorary scottish rider :) would have picked up the white jersey.

« Reply #86 on: 01 July, 2012, 10:09:05 pm »
Why would cancellara need time? ...

To stay in Yellow longer?
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #87 on: 01 July, 2012, 11:13:23 pm »
[spoiler]I thought the usual form was to start a thread with "$RACE (Spoilers within)" as the title?[/spoiler]
It is, but in this case the topic was started a couple of weeks before the Tour began, so anticipation was probably lacking.
If you are worried you could try sending him a PM with instructions in the editing of topic titles. Me, I agree with bobb.

« Reply #88 on: 01 July, 2012, 11:57:42 pm »
Was that final hill really as brutally steep as it looked?!

Sagan was very impressive (though his victory salute was a bit twattish).

Andrew

« Reply #89 on: 02 July, 2012, 08:56:50 am »
Was that final hill really as brutally steep as it looked?!

Sagan was very impressive (though his victory salute was a bit twattish).

Agreed on all points. I think I'd have walked that hill!

It's the first time I've actually seen Sagan (though read a great deal about him) and that celebration hasn't endeared him to me - it did seem to have a ring of arrogance, show boating even, about it. I'm sure I'll be seeing more of him though so plenty of time to get over a negative first impression!

David Martin

« Reply #90 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:55:21 am »
I think anyone who can  take a win like that against many of the best riders in the world has the right to be justifiably arrogant.

« Reply #91 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:05:35 am »
I rather liked his little finish line celebration! He's had enough opportunities to rehearse it this year... The first of many career stage wins no doubt...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #92 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:19:15 am »
The celebration may have been a sign of his youth, but the finish itself was the work of a seasoned pro. If EBH or Gilbert had had the tactical nous to get on Cancellara's wheel, they might have given him more of a race, but Sagan seemed to be the only one who wasn't caught napping when Cancellara made his move. EBH did extremely well to close the attack down but he didn't have anything left for the sprint. Gilbert let himself down a bit on a stage that was made for him.

What an incredible talent Sagan is.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #93 on: 02 July, 2012, 11:01:01 am »
Disappointed to see that Vinokourov is back.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #94 on: 02 July, 2012, 11:09:45 am »
Young professional sportsman takes major victory after 5 hours of effort - then celebrates.

What a shock!!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #95 on: 02 July, 2012, 11:21:34 am »
The celebration may have been a sign of his youth, but the finish itself was the work of a seasoned pro. If EBH or Gilbert had had the tactical nous to get on Cancellara's wheel, they might have given him more of a race, but Sagan seemed to be the only one who wasn't caught napping when Cancellara made his move. EBH did extremely well to close the attack down but he didn't have anything left for the sprint. Gilbert let himself down a bit on a stage that was made for him.

d.

How do you know it was lack of tactical nous on the part of Gilbert and not just that he 'didn't have anything left' to keep with Cancellara/Sagan or to close the gap?

LEE

« Reply #96 on: 02 July, 2012, 11:29:53 am »
I'm still amazed by Bradley's physique.  He's someone I would have thought didn't have much weight to lose 2 years ago. 

Hard to believe he can make more than about 15 watts.  Never heard him so confident about his preparation or his fitness.

What must it be like being so light and developing so much power?  I can only dream.

Andrew

« Reply #97 on: 02 July, 2012, 12:12:14 pm »
Personally, I don't think there's ever a place for arrogance... but that's only my opinion. Besides, it was only a first (ish) impression and I'm not taking him off my christmas card list just yet!

The guy is an incredible talent that's for sure, and it was canny riding yesterday. I'm quite sure I'll be seeing varieties of finish line celebrations from him in the future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #98 on: 02 July, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »
How do you know it was lack of tactical nous on the part of Gilbert and not just that he 'didn't have anything left' to keep with Cancellara/Sagan or to close the gap?

I don't know, I'm making a guess based on how it looked to me.

Gilbert may not quite have the form he had last year, but he's not a rider who usually has trouble going fast up short, sharp climbs like that. He was certainly closing them down very fast by the time they crossed the line. I think he was just too slow to respond to Cancellara's attack. I may be wrong.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #99 on: 02 July, 2012, 03:16:09 pm »
Who is the Eurosport commentator today , Norman Collier ? or is my Virgin service playing up ?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?