Author Topic: Street photography thread  (Read 3939 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Street photography thread
« on: 06 February, 2019, 10:00:29 am »
Not sure we have a thread that majors on Street.

Here’s an interesting video about one photographer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1149&v=Bk4p4jyEY6A
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Street photography thread
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2019, 12:59:42 pm »
Interesting, while there's quite something to learn from his stuff, I come away wondering if I like it, and if I do like it, where I would like it for. Saying it seems to me to be the sort of image that would be chosen by an architect is either compliment or criticism, for the life of me I don't know which, so it probably doesn't matter.

I have a work colleague who, it turns out, is quite good at street photography https://www.waynecrichlowphotography.com/ , I like his work as well if not better.

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »
Thinking about street stuff made me go back and have a browse through some of my own, which is entirely different style, and I thought I'd add a forum-relevant example

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »
great video.  I really like the guys work because it forces you to use your imagination and doesnt show peoples faces too often. The kind of 'ooh, pretty girl' or 'ooh, homeless person' type of street photography does nothing for me, where a good photo seems to be one where it's in focus (normally with a >>50mm lens)

this kind of thing is awesome though: http://www.alanburles.com/-smile-.html

« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2019, 05:40:44 pm »
I like those Alan Buries ones, for me street photography should contain or hint at a story as much as an image, the Joshua Jackson stuff is all about the image, which is why I think I have some antipathy towards it, although I would be very pleased to have been responsible for anything as good as that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2019, 04:44:19 pm »
For me "Street Photography" is defined by Vivian Maier's work. For someone else it may mean something else.

It's all too easy to take a photograph of someone in the street.  I think it needs to be a photo of something that combines several of these elements:

- A sense of place
- A sense of time
- A sense of intrigue
- A sense of humour
- An unusual take on something.

I have many, many, photographs taken of people on the street, in an attempt to capture those elements, but only once do I think I combined a worthwhile number of them. 
Unfortunately I had the crappiest camera with me.

It's very difficult to get something that isn't just a photo of some human beings outside.

Luck plays an enormous part of it of course.  I think my clown photo is devalued if his index finger isn't raised like that for example, because he seems to be making a point about something, and I'm intrigued to know what it was. (It may just be the way his hand is resting of course, but that's the luck of it).

If I'd been truly lucky then Boris Johnson would have been sat behind him, instead of the woman.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2019, 09:44:14 pm »
That's a great shot, but I don't buy the "one true way" for street photography, and suspect that by having quite as long list, you are being too prescriptive (and yes I know you say it can be other things to other people, where's the fun leaving it at that?), but always something of a story.

Here's a randomish selection of some of mine to illustrate

Out and out reportage is a valid theme, something that freezes a moment in time where something is happening like

As is consensual portraiture like

They don't have to have people

Or they can have

They might just be things you see

I'd best stop as you might have gathered I have a sizeable archive of street photography.

If there's a unifying theme I suspect it is just that a good street photograph makes you want to have been there, and seen what the photographer saw.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2019, 09:31:15 pm »
Some others are here. 

I wish I had more time to devote to wandering but it's difficult to justify the time with the other stuff I do.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskMhUAsp

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2019, 08:15:38 am »
Two of my favourites:

Taken about 5 minutes apart, these, over 12 years ago when blokes pointing big cameras around didn't immediately raise hackles.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2019, 09:59:42 pm »
Some others are here. 

I wish I had more time to devote to wandering but it's difficult to justify the time with the other stuff I do.

It's interesting  that you have cropped almost all of those square and b&w'ed them, was that your intention when shooting, or did you impose that format after?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2019, 11:11:12 am »
Some others are here. 

It's interesting  that you have cropped almost all of those square and b&w'ed them, was that your intention when shooting, or did you impose that format after?

I like the classic black & white 6x6 format and so crop/desaturate in post.
My Vivian Maier tribute is cropped, printed and framed identically to her exhibition images where I took the shot, because I think it displays very nicely.

The exhibition...

My framed photo at home

My new mirrorless camera allows me to change the viewfinder display to B&W square image (whilst retaining the full colour 3:2 RAW file).  The articulated screen lets me "shoot from the hip" like a classic TLR.

I bought a 22mm prime for it (Canon M50) which gives a 35mm equivalent focal length, as well as keeping the whole package very small and discreet. 

It seems that I'm building a 1950s camera using digital technology.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2019, 01:27:32 pm »
My new mirrorless camera allows me to change the viewfinder display to B&W square image (whilst retaining the full colour 3:2 RAW file).  The articulated screen lets me "shoot from the hip" like a classic TLR.

I enjoyed that with the Canon G12:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2019, 05:55:26 pm »
Here’s an interesting video about one photographer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1149&v=Bk4p4jyEY6A
Like the work. Like the concept of the curiosity gap. In the video it's described as holding something back. I'm not sure it's abstraction, but I agree he's not showing everything and, in doing that, he's making the audience work (using their imagination, to fill in the gaps and thereby to make meaning).

sam

Street photography
« Reply #13 on: 09 February, 2024, 08:03:06 pm »
A long time ago I used to wander the streets of my hometown with a camera and ask strangers “Do you mind if I take your picture?” “Why?” They’d ask. “So I can put it on the web later,” I’d say, of course.

All of these were taken with my trusty Nikon, usually loaded with Kodachrome 64. I remember being very pleased to get the exposure on the first one right!

Probably the main thing that ages this portfolio: all the kids...

« Reply #14 on: 09 February, 2024, 08:09:03 pm »
Some great images there.
ETA Agfachrome was my weapon of choice, back in the day.