Author Topic: Cycle Hoops - what socket or tool fits them  (Read 514 times)

Cycle Hoops - what socket or tool fits them
« on: 12 April, 2024, 03:08:15 pm »
A friend has locked her bicycle in Hackney and lost the key. It is locked to one of those O-shaped cycle hoops on a pole.

I am assuming that some type of socket can be used to remove the hoop.
I have a set of Torx keys with a hole in the middle, up to T50 size.  I doubt though they are the correct thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Cycle Hoops - what socket or tool fits them
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2024, 03:40:25 pm »
Can she take a photo for you?

I would hope, but not expect, that it would be a proprietary fitting precisely to prevent people doing what you're planning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2024, 05:11:29 pm »
I did a bit of searching, and also zoomed into an image on the cyclehoop website. Indeed it does seem to be a special fitting.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2024, 05:36:08 pm »
Is it not also likely that even if you can remove the hoop from the pole, that will not 'open' the loop?
Even with the correct tool, it looks like will come apart into a pair of 'half' loops; closed D-shaped things which would still have the lock trapped.
And anyways, you'd still have the lock through the frame and probably at least one wheel.

Time to cut the lock, I think.
Mr Angle Grinder can make a persuasive argument.

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2024, 07:15:22 am »
Thanks bot for answers. I believe the key is being sought high and low.
One wag suggests briniging in the expertise of the Dalston Bike Thief on commission.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2024, 08:42:30 pm »
A battery angle grinder is the ultimate "fix all" - pick the correct cutting disc for the best guess of the materials being cut and a set of pliers/grips if a cable lock. The lock is scrap anyway without a matching key.

Carry ID and don't run if challenged. A previous photo of bike with owner is reasonable evidence. Wear high viz - you can get away with anything.

« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:37:52 pm »

Looking at that image, as Feanor said, wouldn't you just have a large piece of the cycle-hoop left connected to the lock and bike? Arguably that would be theft from the local council, if you removed it (unless it's on a private location, and you have permission).

I looked closely at one of those a few years ago, and that one appeared to just have normal Allen-key fittings, which surprised me, but I'm prepared to accept that better fixings are also used.

Unless it's an exceptional D-Lock, a battery powered angle-grinder seems the obvious approach. My boss removed his D-Lock, when the lock barrel failed, with a lump hammer that he borrowed off of me. However, the lock was next to a convenient wall, which probably isn't the case with the Cycle-Hoop. I've experimented with my small Lidl angle-grinder, and it cut through a fairly random D-Lock in a few minutes.

Borrow an angle-grinder, wear safety goggles, carry ID, and take something to protect the bike from sparks thrown off of the cutting blade (I'd guess an old towel or newspapers would probably do the job). Spare blades and batteries are a good idea, in case you have problems or complexities. Some sort of locking tool, like mole-grips, would also probably be a good idea to hold the lock securely, without getting too close to a rapidly spinning blade!
Actually, it is rocket science.