Author Topic: Members' photos  (Read 504062 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Re: Members' photos
« Reply #350 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:25:37 pm »
I'm a mountain biker innit, black socks is de rigourous.

« Reply #351 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:28:34 pm »
No.  Looks shite.  We need a gay guy to give us the real advice.  They are experts on fashion and all that shite.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #352 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:37:44 pm »
White socks are only worn by soul boys.
Getting there...

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #353 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:40:05 pm »
No.  Looks shite.  We need a gay guy to give us the real advice.  They are experts on fashion and all that shite.

White socks get mucky brown...

However, i do have the subject for the next cc editorial at the end of the week, cheers!  ;D (the photos were for an article in there as well).

Oh, and Clarion, I think the fourth shadow was just the end of our wall...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #354 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »
Oh, and Clarion, I think the fourth shadow was just the end of our wall...

Damn!  There was me thinking you were clever... ;D
Getting there...

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #355 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:47:50 pm »
And my great grandfather Lord Robson-Smythe of Wallsend.

Are you sure that's not a pic from a Hovis advert?  ;D

LEE

« Reply #356 on: 30 September, 2008, 12:12:58 am »
And my great grandfather Lord Robson-Smythe of Wallsend.

Are you sure that's not a pic from a Hovis advert?  ;D
No, you're getting it confused with this very old Hovis advert

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #357 on: 30 September, 2008, 09:27:57 am »
No, you're getting it confused with this very old Hovis advert

That's made my morning that has...  ;D

LEE

« Reply #358 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:04:22 am »
Good, I had a chuckle doing it.

The hill is in Shaftesbury in Wiltshire (not in Yorkshire as most people assume).

« Reply #359 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:07:44 am »

White socks get mucky brown...

However, i do have the subject for the next cc editorial at the end of the week, cheers!  ;D (the photos were for an article in there as well).

Please read on Mr Simpson, Anquetil and others on the subject of elegance and the white socks please...  :P
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #360 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:10:02 am »

The hill is in Shaftesbury in Wiltshire (not in Yorkshire as most people assume).

I thought Shaftesbury was Dorset...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #361 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:23:48 am »

[A gay man writes:]

I'm afraid that BPOAB is correct.  Black or dark coloured socks are de riguer for the fashionista MTBer.

However, one should never, ever tuck one's trousers into one's socks on both sides.  That is simply common and marks you out to be of the lower orders (or "straights" as they're otherwise known).  BPOAB fails on that point alone.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #362 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:41:49 am »
You don't need to be gay to know what is cool and what is not. Ankle length socks of any colour look shite regardless of what type of bicycle you're riding.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

LEE

« Reply #363 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:43:36 am »

I thought Shaftesbury was Dorset...

That was before the "Great Yokel Wars".  An easy mistake to make.  Many maps, including OS maps, continue to make the same mistake.  I blame the schools.

dehomag

« Reply #364 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:44:49 am »
Straight Eye For a Queer Guy. Socks other than white look stupid on a cyclist. You can ride a bike but it doesn't guarantee any style. You either have  it or you don't.

Regulator

« Reply #365 on: 30 September, 2008, 10:52:26 am »
You don't need to be gay to know what is cool and what is not. Ankle length socks of any colour look shite regardless of what type of bicycle you're riding.

You obviously need help, wearing *that* hat...  ;) ;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #366 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:00:55 am »
You love it and you know it  ;)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Regulator

« Reply #367 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:04:57 am »
Straight Eye For a Queer Guy. Socks other than white look stupid on a cyclist. You can ride a bike but it doesn't guarantee any style. You either have  it or you don't.

Darling - that is so wrong.  I wear grey Woolie Boolies to ride in.  I also have Seal Skinz in both grey and black (as well as white).

White socks, unless worn in summer with full lycra, serve only to mark you out as being a 'racer wannabe' poseur...

Green Party Councillor

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #368 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:15:21 am »

I am stung sir, and if I had the sartorial elegance to be wearing a pair of gloves I would dash you about the face with them and challenge you to a duel...  ;D

Seriously though, on a bike I wear what I'm comfy with, and what is practical for the type of riding I do. Commuting in all weathers my white socks soon end up grey anyway, and I've got a pair of white ankle length thingies and they just annoyed me for the entire ride.

I take a slightly different approach off the bike (though when one shops in slightly more upmarket establishments style and comfort are not mutually exclusive dahlings  :P)

Do people make value judgements about the type of cyclist you are because of what you wear? S'funny, at the Bealach Mor I wore my 3/4 length humvees. Probably the only person not just donning lycra. But I knew what I was comfortable with for that long in the saddle (plus, I haven't got the legs for lycra). Is looking at a cyclist's attire one more step up from checking out (and scoffing at) someone else's bike? Am I asking these questions in pursuit of subtle research?

dehomag

« Reply #369 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:24:47 am »
Who defines style ? Me ? I am flattered if you think so. I know what I like. Style doesn't just embrace one's garb. One's position on one's bike speaks volumes about the rider, some people look right some don't. Socks. Wear what you are comfortable with, I mean that. I do. I feel comfortable if I feel good, I feel good if IMO I look good.  Me ? Don't judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another. He looks stupid therefore he's a crap rider ? No, don't do it you are likely to be wrong. But. Looking good phases people, psyches people out, give you an advantage. "He must be serious he has expensive glasses/helmet". It's not about the bike, nor the socks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #370 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:25:13 am »
Seriously though, on a bike I wear what I'm comfy with, and what is practical for the type of riding I do.

What kind of bases are they for decision making?  

*beats Anth over head with a rolled up Rapha catalogue* ;D
Getting there...

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #371 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:32:40 am »

Dorset I'm afraid, and the music was The New World Symphony, which was about somewhere completely different.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #372 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:38:44 am »
It's not about the bike, nor the socks.

The title of Lance's sequel...  ;D

LEE

« Reply #373 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:40:36 am »
We're talking here about adults dressed in Lycra (many of us without a body really designed to model it in public) and silly shoes that make us walk like the Tin-man from Wizard of Oz.

We all look bloody odd so we're just arguing about degrees really.

Npbody out there is thinking "hey, look at that cool guy in white socks".
To 99.99% of the planet's population, we will be "that lycra-clad tosser in black socks" or "that lycra-clad tosser in white socks".

If people think my socks are funny then god only knows what they make of 15 stone crammed into Bib Tights.

Best just to wrap up warm and keep moving so nobody notices any fashion faux-pas.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #374 on: 30 September, 2008, 12:07:19 pm »
It's not about the bike, nor the socks.

The title of Lance's sequel...  ;D

The Joy of Sox?
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....