Author Topic: I want to enter a time trial  (Read 3319 times)

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
I want to enter a time trial
« on: 12 June, 2008, 04:50:04 pm »
I've never time trialled before, although I've done a duathlon and a couple of triathlons.

The event I want to enter is the national 100 from Abergavenny.

I have found the event on the (shockingly bad) RTTC website, and I have found an entry form. Presumably I fill these out and have faith.

One question though: do I have to worry about over subscription and not being able to participate because I don't have any previous times?

Any help much appreciated.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: I want to enter a time trial
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2008, 04:55:47 pm »
I've never time trialled before, although I've done a duathlon and a couple of triathlons.

The event I want to enter is the national 100 from Abergavenny.

I have found the event on the (shockingly bad) RTTC website, and I have found an entry form. Presumably I fill these out and have faith.

One question though: do I have to worry about over subscription and not being able to participate because I don't have any previous times?

Any help much appreciated.

A 100 is a hell of an introduction to TTing.

Check the regs. Fill the forms in  and send off. Cross fingers.

It may be a good idea to hook up with the local racing type club and participate in their local TTs to get an idea of what to expect. Don't know how different it will be to Tri, you just have to remember to keep cycling past the finish rather than jumping off your bike as you get there..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2008, 09:25:35 pm »
I guess a 100 is more in line with what you may be used to in a way... A 10 and 25 would be quite different I believe as you would spend 25-65 min. on the saddle nose and on your forearms, straining you neck, riding as hard as you can which, if you're not used to it, is quite a shock at first. However I would have thought that doing at least a 25 would have been worth it beforehand.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2008, 09:28:55 pm »
What you want to look at are the TTs every Tuesday and Thursday night on the Frome bypass which is 10 miles away; I ride out and back from them. Let me know if you want more info and I'll tell you lots more.

Next week, there's one on wednesday too!

Blah

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2008, 09:15:04 am »
Thanks for your concerns on the distance. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm letting myself in for.

I did a middle distance tri last weekend, the bike course was a rolling 51 miles and I managed to hold on to 21mph. I felt like I could have gone on. That 51 miles was on my TT bike as you say, on the tribars and on the nose of the saddle. The bike is a proper TT bike, by which I mean that it's got a very steep seat angle making a low position comfortable.

I ride my TT bike to work lots so I'm not worried about holding that position for 100 miles (or more).

The 100 mile TT is part of my training for an Ironman in September. I hope that explains why I'm not interested in 10s or 25s much. I'm not interested in absolute top-end speed. I'm interested in keeping my legs doing 20-22mph for hours on end without getting too tired to run. The primary reason for doing a 100 is to get nutrition right.

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:26:39 pm »
Thanks for your concerns on the distance. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm letting myself in for.

I did a middle distance tri last weekend, the bike course was a rolling 51 miles and I managed to hold on to 21mph. I felt like I could have gone on. That 51 miles was on my TT bike as you say, on the tribars and on the nose of the saddle. The bike is a proper TT bike, by which I mean that it's got a very steep seat angle making a low position comfortable.

I ride my TT bike to work lots so I'm not worried about holding that position for 100 miles (or more).

The 100 mile TT is part of my training for an Ironman in September. I hope that explains why I'm not interested in 10s or 25s much. I'm not interested in absolute top-end speed. I'm interested in keeping my legs doing 20-22mph for hours on end without getting too tired to run. The primary reason for doing a 100 is to get nutrition right.

Speed training is very good for your endurance.
Roy Cormack rode 25 miles at race pace every morning and every evening as training for the National 24 hour Championships in 1969. He only rode over 200 miles once or twice that year, I believe.
His record 509 mile ride stood until 1997, when it was broken by Andy Wilkinson (525 miles) with new technology (Carbon fibre bike and tri bars)
Andy didn't think he would do it on the day. It wasn't a good day (windy, sometimes wet) as he'd been doing a lot of track racing, so didn't have as many miles in his legs as he usualy did.
All the best 24 hour riders pay a lot of attention to their speed training. Admittadly most get the miles in too, but too many miles can slow you down. You should be OK with a 100 though, if you recover from it properly.

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:50:58 pm »
I think you'll need to be a member of a CTT affiliated club to enter a national championship. If so, join your local club (usually not expensive) and get a time in a time trial. If it's oversubscribed I believe priority goes to entrants with best PB's in events of the same distance but if there are insufficient of those normally organisers will give priority to entrants with a time at any distance over those who do not enter a PB of any sort on the entry form.

Blah

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:26:02 am »
Thanks for the tips Teethgrinder. The main reason for doing the 100 is to force myself to sit on my bike for 4-5 hours and eat. That's not something I find easy to do outside of an event situation.

My commute is 33 miles round trip, so most days that's a 16.5 mile TT twice a day. To be honest I'd rather go and do a hill session than do a flattish 10 or 25 as I know I'll get more benefit from that. The Ironman course is hilly (not by Audax standards) and has a bad road surface.

Saturn, thanks for the heads up on previous times. Unfortunately I've not done any official events before and I won't be able to do any before I have to send my entry off. I'm not holding my hopes up high to actually get an entry but I want to try anyway.

I am a member of Bath CC.

Now for a more practical question: Where do I send my entry form? Do I need to send with a SAE similar to entering an Audax?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:07:06 am »
The 100 mile TT is part of my training for an Ironman in September. I hope that explains why I'm not interested in 10s or 25s much.
IF this was ME in your situation, i would go and do a local club 10 PURELY to experience the procedures/rules involved. (Of course a 100 will differ, but not hugely). Ride out to it, treat the evening as another training session, maybe part of a longer commute!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:19:40 am »
You probably need to find someone at your club or here who has the RTTC handbook which provides organiser addresses unless it's organised by a club that has a web site and provides details that way.

You do know that you can just turn up at any local club time trial and ride without entering in advance don't you? There are probably a few within 25 miles every week. No good if the deadline for entering the Nat100 is in the next day or two maybe.

Blah

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:29:28 am »
I do, thanks Saturn. The deadline is 24 June.

The problem is more that I have a son and a wife and training is taking quite a lot of time as it is. I've definitely run out of passes (even for an evening) for this month.

« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:33:06 am »
I meant the CTT handbook of course.

gonzo

« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:21:07 pm »
Blah, if you can get an evening off, the Frome TTs are great and are about 10 miles away.

I've got a copy of the CTT handbook you can borrow if you want.

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:24:27 pm »
what's the point of putting up all the CTT events if you still have to buy the stupid handbook to enter? ISTR in my last season I had to phone the organiser as the website gave everything except his address and the entry fee.

I hope AUK does not appear so impenetrable to outsiders.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:42:33 pm »
No, it's not quite so bad. Although TTing has the advantage of low-key evening rides you can try out locally - less effort involved than entering/riding your first 100k, I would say.

Also, AUK Perms are AT LEAST as mysterious as the traditional "COURSE H10/17" malarkey.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #15 on: 17 June, 2008, 02:32:30 pm »
No, it's not quite so bad. Although TTing has the advantage of low-key evening rides you can try out locally

nothing low key about my club's evening 10's; I'm too embarassingly slow to ride them these days. Although you do get the sage advice of other clubs' riders telling you how crap you are and also swearing at you for not telling them the junction is clear when marshalling as they cross both white lines ;)

Blah

« Reply #16 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:14:39 pm »
I'm in! Yay. I think.

Check the regs.

I'm having trouble locating these. Could you give me a pointer?

Any advise with regards to drink/eating strategies received gratefully!

I'm thinking 3 bottles, 1 with just water, 1 with energy stuff and one with rehydration stuff. 5 or so Torq bars and a couple of gels. Eat a bar every 20 miles. A gel when I feel low (for the caffeine kick).