Author Topic: Prescription swim goggles  (Read 704 times)

Prescription swim goggles
« on: 06 March, 2022, 04:02:17 pm »
I know I can get these from the likes of Specsavers, but can I get them much cheaper from elsewhere?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Prescription swim goggles
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2022, 04:30:52 pm »
Not sure about cheaper. The last time I bought some they were ~£30 from Boots Opticians.
They tried to sell me pair which would correct my astigmatism for £120!  :o 
I refused, pointing out that I only wanted to be able to avoid people and read the big clock at the end of the pool, not the classified ads in the Financial Times!

Eventually a proper optician was summoned and he agreed on a compromise prescription.
£30 is still a lot for what you get, though.

(OK--not a lot of help, but you are not alone)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2022, 05:19:44 pm »
I got mine through my usual opticians. I think also for £30ish. You can probably get two off the shelf for half as much each, with the same correction for each eye, and swap the eyepieces over so as to have two pairs that work for you.

I have quite extravagant astigmatism and agree with SteveC: it's not worth paying to correct that. But it's about the best £30 I ever spent. You can see if there's someone in your lane! You can see how far the end of the pool is! You can avoid treading in that kid's vomit, or whatever it was!

I do get occasional funny looks from people as I keep the goggles on all the way from my locker to the poolside and back, but at least I can see the funny looks, more or less. So that's a win.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2022, 05:49:03 pm »
Yeah, 20-30 is fine; I just remember the last time I bought some prescription cycling sunglasses they were about £80.
I have a recent prescription from Specsavers, just need to work on interpreting it.  This site suggests 1/2 of the cylinder + sphere = dioptre strength.
As you've stated, I just want to recognise my children in the pool and not walk into people.  I normally swim with my normal glasses, but my daughter likes to go underwater and is entranced by mirror swim goggles, so I'd like to connect with her that way.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2022, 06:18:59 pm »
I bought some from here, they have a decent range. https://www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk/swimming-goggles
Think mine were about £40, but they do have cheaper options. Looks like the cheapest ones are the same power for each eye, more expensive ones have options for different powers.
Fine for my occasional swimming anyway.