Author Topic: Which mattress?  (Read 11720 times)

Re: Which mattress?
« Reply #25 on: 10 April, 2016, 09:33:51 pm »
Mrs Dan and I spent a pleasant couple of hours trying out mattresses yesterday in Warren Evans. We were tempted by a Tempur mattress, but the price difference felt a bit too much, though we did splash out on some Tempur pillows. The most expensive "firm" sprung one we tried was far too bouncy. It was also in the shop window, so we made a display of ourselves getting on and off and seeing how much the other one bounced as we did so  ;D

My advice: find a local shop with a wide selection and try some out. Take a book, take your time, especially with the foam ones, as you tend to settle into them.

« Reply #26 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:37:42 am »
Eve is mainly several different types of memory foam with a latex top IIRC. So you get the best of both worlds. I tend to overheat too but haven't done so with this mattresss.
Just ordered one.....
Roll on Saturday.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #27 on: 11 April, 2016, 12:54:48 pm »
Just ordered one.....
Roll on Saturday.

Then bounce on Sunday, toss and turn on Monday, and so on for the test month?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #28 on: 11 April, 2016, 03:11:11 pm »
I believe the test period is almost 3 months with a no hassle return
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #29 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:59:44 pm »
Just to mention a different kind of approach: we've been very pleased with the £150 job which they happened to have (in the right size for our wooden base) here:

http://www.airsprungfactoryshop.co.uk/about_us

(no financial interest; no doubt other such places exist.)

« Reply #30 on: 18 April, 2016, 09:25:42 pm »
Tonight, for the third night inna row, I'm looking forward to going to bed.
The returns box went into the recycling bin yesterday.
I don't see me needing it.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #31 on: 19 April, 2016, 01:01:51 am »
Good init.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #32 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »
Good init.
Yep.
I cannot fault it.
Now that it has gassed off.
Also, as an online shopping experience, they have their $h!t together.
And it is ver' slick & seamless.
Other vendors could learn from this.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #33 on: 21 April, 2016, 03:13:19 am »
I just noticed they have a referral scheme that gives you both £50 off just incase anyone else is interested!

http://friends.evemattress.co.uk/f9brV

Support Equilibrium

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #34 on: 21 April, 2016, 09:19:33 am »
We need a new mattress and bed base so we tried loads.  We have gone for an eye wateringly expensive Hypnos mattress of the sort that the Queen uses (I am given to understand).  Yes it was very expensive but should last a long time so works out at a few pence per night and what price a good nights sleep?  It should be delivered soon.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #35 on: 17 February, 2021, 07:07:06 pm »
Thread resurrection!

After 26 years on a Vi Spring "Regal Supreme" regular double (aka expensive way back and frankly totally unaffordable now) mattress, am unsurprisingly in desperate need of a replacement - the pockets and springs are not only bust and sagging, some are totally bottoming out, where one soon imagines falling through into a deep dark world that is probably very scary - like those dreams one can have all too easily.

I wonder if any of the original thread posters who mentioned and bought into the https://www.evesleep.co.uk/ have any advice, some 5 years on?

PAGING Jurek and Valiant?

Is pocket sprung still the bees knees? I still have it in mind/imagination, that all that air and space and cotton and wool wadding structure is still kinda right on and cool?

Cyclist aged 67, not as fit as one was natch, legs still fine but shoulders and neck like to ache and wake me up etc etc

« Reply #36 on: 17 February, 2021, 07:20:02 pm »
Have a look at Hypnos for a an excellent and more affordable option. We’re fortunate in living near the factory so, although they don’t sell direct, there was the full range available for testing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #37 on: 17 February, 2021, 07:43:13 pm »
Eve.
Every night.
Thx.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 17 February, 2021, 08:49:39 pm »
I think mattresses are like saddles; you might not get on with something I love.
We bought an own-brand sprung double mattress from John Lewis after lying on a wide range on display.
It is topped with memory foam and sprung more firmly on 'his' side than 'hers' (though we weigh much the same - his preference). We've been happy.
Some people find memory foam too hot.
Try before you buy but two minutes, clothed in a shop doesn't really equate to hours in bed. I found the JL staff very knowledgeable and helpful.

D started complaining of back pain in 2019 and blamed the mattress, as he had a decade previously, stating it was worn, for which I could see no evidence. We went back to John Lewis in January last year and tried many models. I had said I wasn't going to spend £Lots on anything unless I felt it was more comfortable than its predecessor. As I am unable to turn over in bed I am quite fussy about pressure problems. They didn't have much memory foam on offer.
We settled on a JL own brand (Swaledale, I think) pocket spring mattress, which has wool padding on the 'winter' side and cotton padding on the 'summer' side. Again, it is 'firm' on his side and 'medium' on mine. It needed to be made to order and arrived on February 19 last year.

D did not stop complaining of back pain immediately...

I have been comfortable. JL reduced the price by about £350 a few weeks after I placed my order...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #39 on: 17 February, 2021, 09:23:40 pm »
My Eve has been replaced with a Leesa hybrid as I got myself a bigger bed. I had no complaints about the Eve, it was super comfy but the Leesa Hybrid is so much more suitable for me atm. It's the best of both worlds.

Support Equilibrium

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #40 on: 17 February, 2021, 10:01:09 pm »
Whereas we are not (usually) too hot on our memory foam topped mattress.
We have not used our Deep Midwinter 13.5 Tog Siberian goose down duvet in the winter just past thobut. (We have used it on the memory foam mattress in previous winters.)
David suffers the cold more than I do.

People vary.

Have you considered the Scandinavian duvet system?
I was converted to it a while back and find it rather handy that I can lob the 4.5 Tog duvet on top of the 10 when it gets a bit chilly and not have to have the bloody annoying whine of the boiler going in the middle of the night, the idea is that you can tailor the warmth needed to suit the two occupants while not going Victorian with the bed and if there's only 1 occupant duvets can be shuffled to suit.

As for mattress, I just go for a medium-hard cheap Silentnight thing, does well enough for me and nowhere near as uncomfortable as the futon that's slowly crippling me while I wait for Bensons to build my bed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 17 February, 2021, 10:57:32 pm »
I looked at combination duvets but didn't get.
Have 13.5 Tog 'Winter' goose down duvet.
Have 10.5 Tog 'spring/autumn' goose down duvet.
Have 4.5 Tog 'summer' goose down duvet. (This is actually pretty warm if you lie still!)

Have nocturnal astronomer partner who is VERY sensitive to cold and stays up/out far later than is wise.

Memory foam mattresses should not be used with hot water bottles but this isn't an issue with our latest mattress. D has had the 'Winniebottle1' on a few nights recently.

1)  Hot water bottle with Winnie-the-Pooh case. Named Scarborough Bear by me, as purchased in Scarborough one November weekend, when AUK Reunion was in a FREEZING hotel.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #42 on: 21 February, 2021, 08:37:20 pm »
Experience with mattresses to date has been that a hybrid construction of memory foam over (half depth) spring unit is the more comfortable. Lots of the mid-priced mattresses I've seen recently are constructed this way; a layer of memory foam on a layer of springs. I guess the foam offers support, while the spring unit allows circulation (since it is mostly air). That design is not as breathable as a traditional mattress (i.e. with a full depth spring unit) but the support is good.

I top the mattress with a cellular blanket made of wool. The cotton sheet goes on top of that. The wool cellular blanket stops the bed getting uncomfortably hot, and I'd recommend this to those who don't get on with memory foam.

« Reply #43 on: 21 February, 2021, 08:49:40 pm »
After 30+ years on a futon I got a Rem-Fit hybrid mattress (memory foam + springs) last year - luxury  ;D  It's still on the firm side but that's what I wanted.  I reckon the futon is at least part of the reason I've never had any back issues, so wanted to avoid anything too soft.

Just ordered a bamboo protector (which also apparently acts as a cooling layer) in readiness for warmer weather.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #44 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:03:14 pm »
I'd also had ~30 years on a rock-hard futon.
The Eve mattress which replaced it in 2016 is an utter delight.
Five years of unbridled ZzZZzzzzzzz........

« Reply #45 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:16:13 pm »
I’m thinking of an Eve - what are they like in hot weather?

Being of a certain age, past mattresses could be turned, both top / bottom and end to end.

The current hybrid mattress has to be one way up, but at least it can be turned end to end.

Am I right that the Eve has different regions on it, so that only one end can be the head, and thus it isn’t intended to be turned at all, in any dimension? And does it matter?

« Reply #46 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:22:44 pm »
We bought a very spendy Harrison Spinks for our euro king-size last year.  We had to wait a few months due to covid and we got it in December.

I have to turn it one week then flip it the next for six months whilst it settles in.  It is a hefty thing and I imagine many owners would quickly tire of doing so.

It is supremely comfortable.  Given how much time we humans spend in bed it's worth the spend in our opinion.

« Reply #47 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:26:57 pm »
I’m thinking of an Eve - what are they like in hot weather?

Being of a certain age, past mattresses could be turned, both top / bottom and end to end.

The current hybrid mattress has to be one way up, but at least it can be turned end to end.

Am I right that the Eve has different regions on it, so that only one end can be the head, and thus it isn’t intended to be turned at all, in any dimension? And does it matter?

Eve doesn't get as toasty as other memory foam mattresses.
I've tried both.
Eve is way cooler.
I'm pretty sure that you can rotate an Eve around a clock face.
I'm not sure that it is necessary.
The good news is that you get 90 days to give it back if you don't like it.

ETA - you might want to give it 24 hrs to de-gas in a ventilated room after it has been delivered/unwrapped, before you use it.

« Reply #48 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:13:04 pm »
Cheers J.

I was wrong about the unidirectional thing - I see they do recommend you give it a 180 every 30 days for a year, then 6 monthly thereafter.

« Reply #49 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:21:36 pm »
Cheers J.

I was wrong about the unidirectional thing - I see they do recommend you give it a 180 every 30 days for a year, then 6 monthly thereafter.
I've ignored all of that.
The mattress still works.