Author Topic: [HAMR] More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)  (Read 75082 times)

[HAMR] More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)
« on: 11 January, 2016, 04:06:17 pm »
A few ill considered posts notwithstanding I don't think the previous thread should have been closed.

Let's carry on discussing Steve's record attempt here shall we?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:15:10 pm »
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:19:52 pm »
Are we not allowed to have thoughts on the current record attempt(s)? Or do we have to keep them to ourselves?

IJL

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:20:41 pm »
He's going to try to ride a lot of miles on a lot of days.  He may ride enough miles on enough days or he may not, time will tell.

I wish him all the luck world. I will and offer nothing further as I am reminded of a great philosopher who compared opinions to the final stage of the human digestive tract

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:24:09 pm »
Which presumably makes discussion boards such as this completely pointless.

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:26:02 pm »
Personally I found the considered analysis from people who know what they are on about both interesting and useful information for my own riding.  Hopefully there is plenty more of that ...and much less infinite dissection of each others posts.

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:33:57 pm »
Can't help thinking my last post was the straw that broke the camel's back - poor choice of words.
Won't post on here in future, sorry guys.

IJL

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:43:48 pm »
Which presumably makes discussion boards such as this completely pointless

Beyond a certain point, yes.  There comes a point when its all been said and said again.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »
It seems that nobody can comment on a person's support team here, other than positively.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:48:24 pm »
It seems that nobody can comment on a person's support team here, other than positively.

Probably more a reflection of the number of times the comments were reiterated though - positive and negative.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:55:18 pm »

Probably more a reflection of the number of times the comments were reiterated though - positive and negative.

"Excellence to each other, to those riding the HAMR and their teams is the protocol my circuits have been programmed to follow." seems to prevent anything other than positive comments.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #12 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:55:59 pm »
Can't help thinking my last post was the straw that broke the camel's back - poor choice of words.

Nah, I'm sure it was because it was due to get far too exciting.

« Reply #13 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:56:34 pm »
There's a cohort of Audax riders who took up riding from the old ACF, and Steve helped them get their first 600. That means a lot to them, and they're loyal.
Others predate and postdate that, and their attitudes are different.

IJL

« Reply #14 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:59:17 pm »

Your post summed up the sittuation quite well, your choice of words would have been better if you had a better support team, perhaps with a motor home and a thesaurus

« Reply #15 on: 11 January, 2016, 05:03:17 pm »
Steve was on/ part of/ an instigator for my first 600, I consider him a bit of a hero. He was the first person I ever met from yacf- I got the train from BSE to Cambridge for a ride, he'd just ridden over from MK. He was sitting outside the station stuffing his face. I gave him cake for breakfast ;D

That doesn't make me completely blind to the enormity of the task facing him at the moment. I just don't see how he can make the numbers work.

'Steve knows what he's doing' has become a mantra. I worry that he doesn't, that he's battling on regardless. I'm worried that when it's all over, he'll have cycled himself into the ground and not have gained the record, and I don't want that to happen.

« Reply #16 on: 11 January, 2016, 05:06:38 pm »

"Excellence to each other, to those riding the HAMR and their teams is the protocol my circuits have been programmed to follow." seems to prevent anything other than positive comments.

Not really. I think 'excellence' mostly involves being polite and not being insulting.
Rust never sleeps

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 11 January, 2016, 05:08:40 pm »
So we can politely say that somebody is doing it all wrong?

« Reply #18 on: 11 January, 2016, 05:11:03 pm »

Like we did with Miles?

deluded

out of step with the facts

Just a couple of quickly found quotes from the Miles thread.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 11 January, 2016, 05:12:38 pm »
I think that facts are a sufficient defence against charges of slander, your honour.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #20 on: 11 January, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »
Maybe Mrs Miles will divulge the corridor conversation today that caused her to pull down the shutters.   
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 11 January, 2016, 05:40:29 pm »

Like we did with Miles?

deluded

out of step with the facts

Just a couple of quickly found quotes from the Miles thread.

I think that the point is the rule that we should be excellent to each other.
There is no rule about making negative comments.  Take a look at the "Super Twat" or "Today's Motorised Moron" threads, for instance.
Disagreement is fine, but we should show excellence as we do it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #22 on: 11 January, 2016, 06:21:55 pm »
Which presumably makes discussion boards such as this completely pointless

Beyond a certain point, yes.  There comes a point when its all been said and said again.

Since when was that an issue? You may find it tedious, but it's the nature of conversation. It's certainly not a reason to lock a thread. The level of 'lack of excellence' was trivial; no-one threw the smallest teddy out of their cot. I have to say that it looked suspiciously (to me) like it was locked because there was an uncomfortable degree of lack of faith in Steve's liklihood of making the targetted distance. Silencing an opinion won't change it, and risks reactions which were unintended.

I have to say I am livid that it was closed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 11 January, 2016, 06:24:15 pm »
Can we wait for the moderator(s) to take action before passing judgement on them?  It's only reasonable that they can lock a thread and take time to discuss it before composing and posting (which also takes time) an official ruling on ...whatever.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24 on: 11 January, 2016, 06:29:24 pm »
Can we wait for the moderator(s) to take action before passing judgement on them?  It's only reasonable that they can lock a thread and take time to discuss it before composing and posting (which also takes time) an official ruling on ...whatever.

The action has been taken. The opportunity to give at least a holding explanation is offered to a moderator at the point of locking a thread, but in this case it wasn't taken. Frankly, given the interest in that thread, I regard that as plain rude.