Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865637 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4625 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:13:05 pm »

Here it is, complete with another carbon substance, for pictoral balance! :)

Dare I say that it deserves a better picture ? Perhaps after you've removed the logos from the wheels.
Great bike. Let us know how you get on with it  :thumbsup:.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4626 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:35:41 pm »
Just ordered the replacement for my written off Condor Italia. A Condor Fratello Disc! It is truly a bike of purple steel loveliness!

Did a test ride on one of them a few months ago. Very nice bike. Very nice indeed.

(When I say 'test ride', I mean the Oasts & Coasts 300. Or most of it, anyway. But it's a bike I reckon I could happily do much longer distances on.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4627 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:51:32 pm »
. . . are those 'tubeless' wheels, then? #justaskin'

Tasteless, more like

The wheels are a bit shouty. Can't wait to see it in action, though.

citoyen

« Reply #4628 on: 31 July, 2015, 12:06:18 am »
Would it be wrong of me to say I actually quite like the wheels?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4629 on: 31 July, 2015, 08:07:56 am »
The wheels are indeed tubeless and disc, as mentioned upthread they are American Classic Argent wheels. These wheels retail at £900, so to get them on a bike that costs £2k is amazing. FWIW the only other bike I could find that has them as standard spec is more like £5k! I am in two minds about the stickers. In real life it does look, at first glance like a Team Sky knock off, due to the blue bits :)

I will try to get a better pic today.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4630 on: 31 July, 2015, 11:24:21 am »
It's OK. I'm not jealous*

*The above statement contains traces of Government Policy lies
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4631 on: 31 July, 2015, 04:11:19 pm »

Here it is, complete with another carbon substance, for pictoral balance! :)

Very nice indeed.  Seatpost aluminium-lined?

FWIW I had my shifters canted up at an angle like that when I changed to 3x10 in 2011.  Still got the tendinitis - strained tendons when standing on pedals.

As to my own purchases of the day:

Garmin eTrex 30x
ANT+ heart monitor strap to go with
Bunch of edibles for the mini-bar
El cheapo document plastifier
New arse, for delivery 21st August.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #4632 on: 01 August, 2015, 03:59:00 pm »
Just ordered the replacement for my written off Condor Italia. A Condor Fratello Disc! It is truly a bike of purple steel loveliness!

Did a test ride on one of them a few months ago. Very nice bike. Very nice indeed.

(When I say 'test ride', I mean the Oasts & Coasts 300. Or most of it, anyway. But it's a bike I reckon I could happily do much longer distances on.)

Good to hear. I decided on it for a couple of reasons. Mainly the discs for commuting and weight carrying. Also the frame will give a different feel and ride to the soot bike I own (Aprire Vincenza) which the Italia (RIP) didn't have. Looking forward to it coming now I am out of my collar and nearly ready to ride again!

Today I bought a toolbox, more tools and a new fancy Deda superleggera seatpost for the soot bike...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4634 on: 02 August, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »
Ok they turned up on Friday, but taken out of the box today and SPDs fitted ready for tomorrow's commute :)

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4635 on: 03 August, 2015, 08:27:19 pm »
Not strictly "bought", but a (very generous) friend has given me his old and no-longer-needed BMW cycle carrier - actually a re-branded Thule 591. I've already got one 591 so I've fettled it to fit the other side of the car, and I'm just waiting for a few spare parts to arrive so it'll fit on my roof bars  :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #4636 on: 04 August, 2015, 12:35:40 pm »

No, it's a Ritchey WCS Link FlexLogic Carbon, 31.6*350mm

FWIW I had my shifters canted up at an angle like that when I changed to 3x10 in 2011.  Still got the tendinitis - strained tendons when standing on pedals.

I think the angle I took the pic might make it appear that the shifters (and bars) are pointing more skyward than they actually are.  They are, actually, very close to the tops being level.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4637 on: 04 August, 2015, 03:44:51 pm »

One of these (capable of easily being transferred between bikes). :thumbsup:

BBB Easy Fit Bicycle Bell Black

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4638 on: 04 August, 2015, 09:50:38 pm »
Nice bike T! 

I made the more modest purchase of a gilet.  It's Castelli though, so almost as shouty as those wheels.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4639 on: 07 August, 2015, 03:33:50 pm »

I think the angle I took the pic might make it appear that the shifters (and bars) are pointing more skyward than they actually are.  They are, actually, very close to the tops being level.

Yeah, I noticed that when looking at my own bike from a low angle this morning.

I asked about the seatpost with clamping stuff on in mind.  My LBS says it's stronger than "they" let you think, but then added that mine's alu with a carbon coat so fire away.  Chum of mine has an all-carbon profiled one and has had to give up saddlebags completely.

tiermat

« Reply #4640 on: 07 August, 2015, 04:12:18 pm »

I asked about the seatpost with clamping stuff on in mind.  My LBS says it's stronger than "they" let you think, but then added that mine's alu with a carbon coat so fire away.  Chum of mine has an all-carbon profiled one and has had to give up saddlebags completely.

I was thinking that, but I have not found any documented cases of seatposts snapping due to having an SQR on them (correction I think there was one, on here, but that was, at the poster's admission, a cheap Ribble own make job).  Carradice don't say not to, Ritchey don't explicitly say not to (and they are an American company so litigation averse), so I am going to suck it and see.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4641 on: 07 August, 2015, 04:45:16 pm »
Me own list of stuff for the day:

Couple of Zefal reversible lateral-extraction bottle cages
New reckless hat (Met)
Dried bananas

+ took delivery of

Etrex 30x (Nice: W. Europe street map already loaded, means I can keep my City Nav NT for Etrex 20)
Assos shorts.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4642 on: 07 August, 2015, 04:47:34 pm »

I was thinking that, but I have not found any documented cases of seatposts snapping due to having an SQR on them (correction I think there was one, on here, but that was, at the poster's admission, a cheap Ribble own make job).  Carradice don't say not to, Ritchey don't explicitly say not to (and they are an American company so litigation averse), so I am going to suck it and see.

Good luck.  I have a chum who has been using a Bagman QR - the one like a clothes drier that fastens to the saddle rails - on a carbon-only post, with a Pendle. And impunity.  Mind you, he weighs about as much as a shelled prawn.

ETA he looked kinda wistful when he noticed the strap loops all over the outside of my Super C Audax.

citoyen

« Reply #4643 on: 08 August, 2015, 02:59:19 pm »
High5 Zero tabs.

Shopping in Lidl, I spotted these on offer at £2.99 for a tube of 20 tabs, which seems like a decent price, so I grabbed a couple of tubes.

tiermat

« Reply #4644 on: 13 August, 2015, 01:40:20 pm »
5* light brackets (2 for the bike and the rest as spares)
2* larger replacement bands for the SQR
2* pairs of B'Twin cycle shorts, they were reduced to £22/pr from £45.
A headtorch (I discovered, yesterday, that the two Alpkit Gammas I had have succumbed to different breakages, one a bust catch on the battery box, one a dissolved battery contact spring due to leaky batteries)
Some bonk ration fruit jelly thingies.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4645 on: 16 August, 2015, 08:13:05 am »
Yesterday.  A couple of Lezyne Femto Drive lamps, one for myself and one for MrsLurker.  For myself 'cos it's now just not quite light enough in the mornings for me to be easily seen but not dark enough that I need lights to see where I'm going so my main winter lamps won't be necessary for the round trip for weeks and weeks.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4646 on: 16 August, 2015, 08:37:49 pm »
Some (well, 200) disposable gloves, in case I feel like cleaning the bikes at some point. I discovered that they're available in purple! However, I bought black ones because they were cheaper. ::-)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4647 on: 18 August, 2015, 03:47:56 pm »
I've just taken delivery of a shiny new Hope Ceramic Bottom Bracket.

After the weekend's wet 300, I had the bike stripped down for cleaning and maintenance.
The original BB was really rough.
As it's the bike I use for Audax, it seems to get more than it's fair share of wet rides!

fuzzy

« Reply #4648 on: 08 September, 2015, 02:00:34 pm »
N+1 :smug:

« Reply #4649 on: 08 September, 2015, 02:04:57 pm »