Author Topic: ...@mailinator.com  (Read 1879 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
...@mailinator.com
« on: 16 November, 2011, 06:26:43 pm »
I run an e-commerce site and had a transaction today (unpaid) that was some sort of test from someone ... the customer name was   First   Test   and the e-mail address was    <nnnnn>@mailinator.com

Our software captures the customer's IP address ... a check showed that it's owned by eBay (seemed genuine with the physical address details etc)

... mailinator.com  seems to be a way of spoofing e-mails.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be going on here?

My surmise is that it's Paypal doing a test on the site (we take Paypal - as well as Visa, Mastercard etc - via our card processor)

If it is Paypal then common courtesy, to me, would be send a follow up message .. rather than just leave an unpaid transaction and a mystery.

Rob

ed_o_brain

Re: ...@mailinator.com
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2011, 04:44:33 pm »
No idea.

But a lot of ecommerce websites insist users don't use mailinator email addresses. Can you amend the validation for yours?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Re: ...@mailinator.com
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2011, 12:02:31 am »
... mailinator.com  seems to be a way of spoofing e-mails.
Nope; it provides disposible addresses - it will accept mail to *@malinator.com, so if 'I' don't want 'you' to harvest a (static) address, you can have a [something]@mailinator.com

[Edit] 'I' could look at any response from 'you' within restricted timeframe, forwarding as required to private e-mail if relevant, or just let anything you send siliently expire
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.