Author Topic: "message not downloaded"?  (Read 1464 times)

"message not downloaded"?
« on: 18 November, 2015, 08:40:21 am »
Friend is trying to send me some photos and this is the message the android phone is giving me.

Are the files too big or do I need to change a setting possibly please?

Also where can I find the setting to stop the phone going into standby which seems to happen about 15 seconds after I pause.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Re: "message not downloaded"?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:52:56 am »
If they are trying to send the messages via text/mms, you need to be connected to a data network (ie, cellphone data such as 3G or 4G). It won't work via WiFi, you may even need to temporarily turn off the WiFi on your phone.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2015, 10:01:45 am »
You also need to be subscribed to the MMS service with your provider.

I  have had this in the past. If you are subscribed to the MMS service, try sending yourself an MMS. This should kick your phone into receiving them but your friend will need to resend the originals as I don't think they will automatically come through.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2015, 10:09:40 am »
People still use MMS?   :o

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2015, 10:31:26 am »
snip...

setting to stop the phone going into standby which seems to happen about 15 seconds after I pause.

PH

Android phone - might be version dependent - on my phone I swipe down from the top of the screen to reveal the sprocket/cog settings icon. In settings, tap where it says 'Display'... then tap where it says 'Sleep'... choose something other than 15 seconds. (The process on my phone... YMMV)

« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2015, 12:12:26 pm »
Thanks that was the one I needed and it seems the phone is too old to take mms without going to a contract and no ta to that EE. I will manage by telling thefriend to use my email... simpler and a lot cheaper.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2015, 12:53:51 pm »
um - mms is an ancient technology.

It's more likely that you just don't have a data allowance that will allow mms.

Good move to go to email, though, much simpler and cheaper.
<i>Marmite slave</i>