Author Topic: Sub 2-hour marathon  (Read 6770 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Sub 2-hour marathon
« on: 12 October, 2019, 09:25:09 am »
World record, but not an athletics record, because paced etc

But  :o :o :o

Fucking superb, what next?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/50025543
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Sub 2-hour marathon
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:27:49 am »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:30:34 am »
I was watching on Youtube. That speed is just insane! Yes there were pacers etc - but he ran at >13mph for 2 hours. :o

And he still had energy to run about at the end...amazing stuff.

ElyDave

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:32:15 am »
and it's not "just" sub 2-hour, it's 20 seconds under 2hours!

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:40:47 am »
Will be fascinating to see how he does in future race conditions.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2019, 11:04:39 am »
It's clearly an incredible achievement but it's one of those things that has more than meets the eye.
There's an interesting podcast discussion at the science of sport. The jist is that the shoe is returning energy so much more efficiently that it can improve running efficiency - the previous version was called the 4% because it was supposedly 4% more efficient in lab tests. This version is 2 generations on (well one gen but then tailored specifically for the individual).
Stick him in shoes that the customer can buy and he's 1 minute over the 2 hours. That's an incredible achievement in itself but it's not the superhuman feat as it might first appear.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2019, 11:08:46 am »
So it's all about selling shoes? Okay, Nike or Adidas?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2019, 11:15:33 am »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:11:16 am »
I think it's well over 10 years since I managed to keep up that sort of speed on a bike.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:08:09 am »
And over on CC there are forum allegations that he cheated  :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2019, 05:09:25 pm »
MrsT would probably like a pair of those shoes for Christmas. Maybe I should start a Go Fund Me appeal.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11 on: 13 October, 2019, 08:40:31 pm »
So it's all about selling shoes? Okay, Nike or Adidas?
Nike Vapourfly: https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a29447426/eliud-kipchoge-shoes/

3 carbon fibre plates, plus some fluid sacks to cushion the shock, and return the energy to the carbon plates and back to the runner.

« Reply #12 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:00:37 pm »
And just a day later, the women's marathon world record has been broken by Brigid Kosgei!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/50035304

(She was wearing the Nike shoes, as well, apparently.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 15 October, 2019, 01:46:39 pm »
I read that the shoes they are "not homologated" by the relevant organisation. Why do running shoes have to be homologated? What do they look for, beyond presumably not falling apart in a race and the absence of external power sources?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 15 October, 2019, 02:11:46 pm »
I read that the shoes they are "not homologated" by the relevant organisation. Why do running shoes have to be homologated? What do they look for, beyond presumably not falling apart in a race and the absence of external power sources?

I suppose it's only a matter of time before they go full UCI on some sheddi with running soles made from washing machine door seals or something.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #15 on: 15 October, 2019, 02:55:52 pm »
Shoes containing springs or wheels are banned.
Question is whether a rubber sole and carbon plates counts as a spring. Nike claim it gives extra rebound etc.

ElyDave

« Reply #16 on: 15 October, 2019, 03:05:56 pm »
putting this in context, nobody is claiming this as a valid IAAF time, and irrespective of technology, pacers etc this is a marathon completed in about 30 mins more than I can do a half marathon. It's a fantastic achievement and should be celebrated as such.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: 15 October, 2019, 03:06:01 pm »
So they've banned springs but not defined how springy something can be before it's a spring?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 15 October, 2019, 03:08:38 pm »
putting this in context, nobody is claiming this as a valid IAAF time, and irrespective of technology, pacers etc this is a marathon completed in about 30 mins more than I can do a half marathon. It's a fantastic achievement and should be celebrated as such.
Absolutely. When people say things like
Admiration for Kipchoge’s magnificent million-dollar achievement was only slightly undermined by the information that he was wearing a version of Nike’s Vaporfly running shoe so new that it has not yet been homologated by the governing body. Like other aspects of his run, such as the use of roll-in, roll-out pacemakers, this made it clear that his feat belonged not in the realm of sport but in the related field of science-assisted human performance. What you might feel about the value of such an achievement when it is entirely divorced from the sphere of rules-based competition is entirely up to you.
it's kind of nonsense. It's just swapped one set of rules for another.

« Reply #19 on: 15 October, 2019, 03:17:52 pm »
Which was the better performance, this one or the 2:01:39 WR he ran in Berlin?
For me, probably Berlin. Homologated shoes, restricted pacemakers, no car with green lasers, actual race. Less publicity/discussion about that one though. ;)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #20 on: 15 October, 2019, 03:22:11 pm »

Maybe they shouldn't have inspector Gadget type springs ;)

[edit] really should have read the backlog huh?  ::-) :-*
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #21 on: 16 October, 2019, 01:58:31 am »
2. Athletes may compete barefoot or with footwear on one or both feet.
The purpose of shoes for competition is to give protection and stability to the feet and a firm grip on the ground. Such shoes, however, must not be constructed so as to give athletes any unfair assistance or advantage. Any type of shoe used must be reasonably available to all in the spirit of the universality of athletics.
Note (i): Adapting a shoe to suit the characteristic of a particular athlete’s foot is permitted if made in accordance with the general principles of these Rules.
Note (ii): Where evidence is provided to the IAAF that a type of shoe being used in competition does not comply with the Rules or the spirit of them, it may refer the shoe for study and if there is non-compliance may prohibit such shoes from being used in competition.

Seems the current IAAF rules about shoes are rather vague.
So what actually counts as "unfair assistance or advantage"? Presumably the latest Nike shoes are a custom prototype, so not yet "reasonably available to all".

Think the previous rules were more specific about springs. There was debate about Oscar Pistorious, and whether his blades are an "unfair advantage".

ElyDave

« Reply #22 on: 16 October, 2019, 05:52:11 am »
Which was the better performance, this one or the 2:01:39 WR he ran in Berlin?
For me, probably Berlin. Homologated shoes, restricted pacemakers, no car with green lasers, actual race. Less publicity/discussion about that one though. ;)

only if you think the shoes are worth 2 minutes.

Let's face it, those shoes will be available to all within 6 months, then it's up to the IAAF to decide if they fit within their vague rules or not.

REmember another unbreakable barrier? The 4-min mile, finally broken with (shhh!) the aid of pacemakers.  Anyone want to denigrate Sir Roger as well?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 16 October, 2019, 06:42:03 am »
Did the pacemakers for the marathon start the race? They did for the 4 min mile, I believe.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #24 on: 16 October, 2019, 06:52:34 am »
Did the pacemakers for the marathon start the race? They did for the 4 min mile, I believe.

It wasn't a race. It was a record breaking event. The pacers alternated, and were arranged to give the most aerodynamic benefit. There was also an electric car, which dictated the record pace. Dave Brailsford helped organise these 'marginal gains', as it was an INEOS-backed enterprise.