Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105043 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #375 on: 13 June, 2015, 01:44:36 pm »
If this year's shown anything it's that the time of year makes little difference to Welsh weather ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #376 on: 13 June, 2015, 04:43:58 pm »
If this year's shown anything it's that the time of year makes little difference to Welsh weather ;)

true , true but at least in `summer` it`s cold, wet and windy rather than cold , wet , windy and dark...... ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

caerau

« Reply #377 on: 14 June, 2015, 11:59:57 am »
Yup

« Reply #378 on: 14 June, 2015, 05:32:21 pm »
Bah, I was looking forward to that ride report! But echo sentiment re family coming first. Anybody done the 3b so I can compare route options, and am I right in assuming you can start at any control and go in either direction (but then have to follow them in that prescribed order)
nam dan on fb

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #379 on: 14 June, 2015, 07:04:30 pm »
Bah, I was looking forward to that ride report! But echo sentiment re family coming first. Anybody done the 3b so I can compare route options, and am I right in assuming you can start at any control and go in either direction (but then have to follow them in that prescribed order)

Its only put on hold. 

As for your question - yes you can start at any control and go in either direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) as long as you preserve the sequence of controls.  You can also start/finish between controls if you like - I started the 4C from Caersws which was between the named control points of Llanfyllin and Llanidloes, but had the extra convenience of a train station and a Spar (Society for the Preservation of Audax Riders) shop as a start/finish control.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #380 on: 14 June, 2015, 09:20:19 pm »
My only other question is how do you control if no cash machine and an obscure hour of the day. Okay maybe I lied (second question); how do I go about ordering all the 100 brevet cards for a rainy day
nam dan on fb

caerau

« Reply #381 on: 14 June, 2015, 09:43:03 pm »
CET does 10 brevet cards for a discount as I recall.  I did this but still have only used two.  I didn't realise the AAAness of them intially.  I'll use them in time though.

« Reply #382 on: 14 June, 2015, 10:44:16 pm »
Yes but how do I order to take up the deal :)
nam dan on fb

caerau

« Reply #383 on: 14 June, 2015, 11:06:07 pm »
Talk to CET, his email address is there somewhere.

PM here works too as I recall, he's a nice bloke but don't trust his offers to ride with you, I'm reliably informed he's a monster speedmerchant ;)

« Reply #384 on: 16 June, 2015, 10:28:57 pm »
Are any of these routes online somewhere in gpx/map/eparchment form? Its a logistical challenge for me to start anywhere in Wales except Chepstow (and that's non-trivial), so i'd like to look at what options are worth the effort.

(yes, I know the control town names are on the event pages - but if anyone has done the 'next step' and put it online, that would be fab!  )

The 2b has a control in Chepstow . I rode it a couple of years ago with Hammerman it is an enjoyable ride. Perhaps unwisely we started in Brecon then had the climb over the mountain road between Builth wells and Brecon right at the end of the ride and in the dark.

If I do it again I would start either in Monmouth or Chepstow.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #385 on: 18 June, 2015, 06:47:05 pm »
Thanks banjo.

As it happens, I think Phil Chadwick once took a few of us round that route (starting from Chepstow) as a January DIY (I dont think he knew about the proper Perm).

We did Builth->Brecon. Ridiculous climb, fantastic views :)

V nice route overall (apart from the ice, but hey ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #386 on: 20 June, 2015, 10:03:34 pm »
My only other question is how do you control if no cash machine and an obscure hour of the day. Okay maybe I lied (second question); how do I go about ordering all the 100 brevet cards for a rainy day

AFAIK the only Cambrian control points without an ATM are Llansannan on the 8A and 4G and Devils Bridge on the 8A/10A and 4F.  These only have pubs and shops.  In extremis the old trick was to have a stamped addressed postcard to the organiser, write the time on it and post it, I can then check the post mark.  There are postboxes in both locations.  You can also try to collar a passerby and get them to sign a card. If you are smart with tech you may well be able to take a picture of yourself next to the town / village sign and email it to me from your smartphone.  There's nearly always a way to get brevidence.

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #387 on: 20 June, 2015, 10:04:56 pm »
150th completed brevet since I started logging the rides.  Thats at least 500km of collective ascent.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #388 on: 28 June, 2015, 10:57:50 am »
I'm getting a lot more demand for 100k rides and so am thinking of some new routes.  Also - the rides in the South seem to be a lot more popular than those in the North.  So here are a couple of thoughts

Chepstow - Raglan - Blaenavon - Brynithel (has post offices and shops) - Usk - Chepstow - just over the 100km and 1650m ascent
Abergavenny - Hay - Tredegar - Blaenavon - Abergavenny (probably 106k and 1700m ascent

Whilst I am about it - are there any other areas of the musical principality you would like me to open up.  There is also the possibility of a 12A.

« Reply #389 on: 28 June, 2015, 11:39:01 am »
PM sent suggesting a couple 100s around the Presteigne / L`dod / Newtown area but visiting lesser known hills  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #390 on: 28 June, 2015, 03:07:10 pm »
Vale of Glamorgan and Afan Valley area seems very sparse for Audax routes.Only a couple of Calendar rides and no perms that I know of here.

I have a 100km circular route from llantwit Major  along the coast to Ogmore where it turns inland and over the Bwlch Y Clawd pass at 530 meters before descending back to Llantwit by a different route.

Will PM you the route. If you think it may be suitable I will ride it again and check out controls etc.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #391 on: 28 June, 2015, 05:43:29 pm »
I have a 100km circular route from llantwit Major  along the coast to Ogmore where it turns inland and over the Bwlch Y Clawd pass at 530 meters before descending back to Llantwit by a different route.
... Always seeking new knowledge
does that really mean "Gap In The Hedge" as the internet suggests?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #392 on: 28 June, 2015, 07:16:20 pm »
Bwlch in this case means mountain pass. Clawdd can mean Hedge or fence maybe has other meanings .Cue @Hammerman.

Of course you don't allways get a view.

« Reply #393 on: 28 June, 2015, 09:40:50 pm »
Clawdd also means `dyke` as in Tref Y Clawdd, Welsh for Knighton meaning Town on the Dyke (Offas Dyke in this case).

Be careful get words in correct order though :facepalm:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #394 on: 29 June, 2015, 08:44:28 pm »
Five ideas so far:

Cambrian 1F (proposed) – Chepstow – Raglan – Brynithel – Usk – Chepstow (100km) – 1640m ascent
Cambrian 1G (proposed) – Abergavenny – Hay-on-Wye – Tredegar – Blaenavon – Abergavenny (100km) – 1700m ascent
Cambrian 1H (proposed) – Hay-on-Wye – Hundred House – Knighton – Penybont – Hay-on-Wye  (105km) 2250m ascent
Cambrian 1J (proposed) – Newtown – Llanfair Caereinion – Llanbrynmair – Machynlleth – Staylittle – Newtown (110km) 1630m ascent
Cambrian 1K (proposed) - Maesteg – Treorchy – Hirwaun – Maerdy – Mountain Ash – Ferndale – Maesteg (106km) 2200m ascent

1H relies a bit on pubs being open, which will probably mean that no one ever gets to finish it.  On the grounds that if you are able to get proof of passage you won't complete the ride and if the pubs are closed you can't get proof that you did complete the ride.   ;D

« Reply #395 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:48:05 pm »
Sorry Banjo, I was beaten to it,

As far as suggestions for 100km perms, I'm looking into a few ideas, further West. Around the Llandeilo area, my home patch. Got some great ideas for calender events but the main problem is controls being open or even exsisting at all without going into Carmarthen (too far west). I will work something out as this area is very sparse unless you go up to the 200's and above.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

« Reply #396 on: 12 July, 2015, 10:19:25 pm »
Off to Pencader visiting family again tomorrow .. 
I think I'm the only one to do the 1E 100k this year !!
Is quite a contrast to my usual flatlands of Kent routes
I'd definately be interested in 100k perms in the Llandeilo Carmarthen area

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #397 on: 12 July, 2015, 11:28:01 pm »
Sorry Banjo, I was beaten to it,

As far as suggestions for 100km perms, I'm looking into a few ideas, further West. Around the Llandeilo area, my home patch. Got some great ideas for calender events but the main problem is controls being open or even exsisting at all without going into Carmarthen (too far west). I will work something out as this area is very sparse unless you go up to the 200's and above.

For the calendars, and not going as far as Carmarthen, don't forget INFORMATION CONTROLS, which are of course a pain, but would serve the purpose, and doubtless you can find them everywhere...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #398 on: 13 July, 2015, 12:20:45 am »
Cambrian 1K (proposed) - Maesteg – Treorchy – Hirwaun – Maerdy – Mountain Ash – Ferndale – Maesteg (106km) 2200m ascent
sounds great although  some of them controls sound like hopping over and doubling back into same valleys in odd order
nam dan on fb

« Reply #399 on: 13 July, 2015, 03:33:09 pm »
sounds great although  some of them controls sound like hopping over and doubling back into same valleys in odd order

I tried putting the route on the map and couldn't work out exactly what CET has in mind. either the controls are not in order or theres an extra one that needs deleting.

Will be a tough old 100kms when its finalized. Enough climbing for an AAA 200.

Will have to give it a go if/when its added to the list.