Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1641802 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3700 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:12:22 am »
I was so tired last night I actually fell asleep listening to Götterdämmerung. Imagine how embarrassing that would have been in the Albert Hall - especially in my pyjamas!

While there is no dress code for the Proms - plenty of folk in shorts and t-shirts - I think pyjamas might be pushing things a bit.

For those who didn't/won't sit through the whole thing, you can always turn to Elmer and Bugs.  ;D
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/waKc-iuhZPY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/waKc-iuhZPY&rel=1</a>
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3701 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:37:34 am »
For those who didn't/won't sit through the whole thing, you can always turn to Elmer and Bugs.  ;D
Kill the wabbit! ;)

('What's Opera, Doc?' - one of the best cartoons ever)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3702 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:47:22 am »
<Michael Caine voice>  Oi.  Stop bloody raining - On me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3703 on: 31 July, 2013, 12:23:37 pm »
I have just had a look at the weather forecast for the next few days...

It is going to pi$$ it down on my birthday! Grrrr

It is also going to pi$$ it down on the day of my birthday BBQ! DOUBLE Grrrr....

NAHB right now :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3704 on: 31 July, 2013, 07:08:09 pm »
i thought that my water infection was getting better but back to the doctors today for a different set of antibiotics plus one of those fasting blood tests . no sleep last night and i am worried i will not sleep tonight either  :(
the slower you go the more you see

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3705 on: 01 August, 2013, 10:39:47 am »
I should give up with fountain pens.  I should know, from having had the nickname 'Smudge The Dirt Magnet', that I will always get my fingers covered with ink if I even go near them.  But I do like a decent fountain pen.  It's a lost cause. :(
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3706 on: 01 August, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »
Fountain pens are lovely.  But I despise handwriting with a passion.  Also a lost cause.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3707 on: 01 August, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »
I was a very inky child.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3708 on: 01 August, 2013, 03:45:35 pm »
Don't fountain pens make you write more legibly?

Not that I can be bothered.  In fact I've almost forgotten how to handwrite altogether, hence my preference for block capitals.  At least people can understand my shit, man.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3709 on: 01 August, 2013, 03:52:07 pm »
I can write legibly, and a fountain pen does help, at about 10 words per minute.  That's so useless that I don't think I've done it since I last sat an exam.

I scribble block capitals when labelling things, and otherwise use a keyboard, at bitrates that don't impair my thinking.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3710 on: 01 August, 2013, 07:36:36 pm »
Spinefail and teh snot at the same time...  Codeine and flurbiprofen (NSAID wot actually works) applied but the side effects from that aren't exactly jolly - oh hai blurred vision and dizziness ^2.  Emailed in sick from work, felt a bit guilty till I slept till 3pm and have the brainfu of a not very brainy thing.  Even typing is hard work...  Fneh!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3711 on: 06 August, 2013, 12:07:02 pm »
Gah! Grumble at myself for this one. It's hard to rate your translators a week after the job. I should have done it at the time, spreadsheet failure or not. It's also slightly unfair if you're then going to compare them against each other, given the varying styles - and, frankly, sense - they had to deal with.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

essexian

« Reply #3712 on: 07 August, 2013, 08:37:07 pm »
Just signed up for BT Sports....well its free and I was using BT anyway.

So, go to try and watch it on my tablet earlier but despite saying that it would work on my OS, it seems that it doesn't and I can't update the OS....grrr.

Then, this PM being home alone I thought I would watch some rounders.....baseball on line on ESPN but no, ESPN does not have the online rights to do so.

So, what is the point of BT Sports then if you can't watch what you want....oh well, at least its free.....

« Reply #3713 on: 07 August, 2013, 10:56:25 pm »
I haz BT Sport via Sky (don't pay for a Sky subscription currently, just use it as a Freeview box). Works fine. Can't record, Sky Plus is £10 a month.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #3714 on: 08 August, 2013, 10:49:22 am »
Oh. Fucking great.

I did the Right Thing and pulled over into Birchanger Services for a sleep, on the way home from LEL, as I felt I was not in a safe state to drive further.

Now I've been stung £100 (£60 if I pay in 14 days) for over-staying.

You just can't fucking win sometimes, can you?

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3715 on: 08 August, 2013, 11:20:09 am »
Oh. Fucking great.

I did the Right Thing and pulled over into Birchanger Services for a sleep, on the way home from LEL, as I felt I was not in a safe state to drive further.

I thought those private "Parking tickets" were unenforceable?

« Reply #3716 on: 08 August, 2013, 11:41:10 am »
Oh. Fucking great.

I thought those private "Parking tickets" were unenforceable?

According to this, you can avoid paying the full amount

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2242801/The-trick-beat-private-parking-tickets-I-dodged-service-station-fine.html
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3717 on: 08 August, 2013, 02:29:59 pm »
I have been supervising a construction site several hundred miles from home for 2 weeks, riding LEL last week and supervising the site again this week (at about 12 hours notice). It would be nice if my workaholic boss didn't keep expecting everybody else to behave likewise.

It gets a little old being expected to do full-time report and specification reviews in parallel with full-time site work. Being salaried, working to late each night isn't of great advantage to me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3718 on: 10 August, 2013, 08:50:13 pm »
I knew I shouldn't have cleaned my bike.  Since I did clean it, I now know I have a broken spoke on the rear wheel of my Hewitt. :(  Good thing the other 35 are still in good order, I guess.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3719 on: 10 August, 2013, 09:35:23 pm »
Yesterday I took my niece into that London to visit the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels. Yikes that was expensive.  :o train tickets, ice cream, entry and then the gift shop.  :o

Worse a day on my feet has buggered my hips, today I ran the church sound desk for the wedding of a family friend (two hours on my feet) and I can now I can barely get up the stairs at home. Still I see the GP on monday to see if I can get some better pain killers and a referral for a second opinion.

On current going I shall be of absolutely no use when Mum has her hip replacement as I will be no more mobile than she is.

The problem will come when I can no longer get onto my bike.

« Reply #3720 on: 11 August, 2013, 02:34:00 pm »
Dear Continetal Tyres.

If Gatorskins are uni-directional, then please make the arrow and the word "rotation" a bit more visible.

I have just cleaned my Giant and realised that I have ridden the last 1000 miles with one of the tyres facing the wrong way.

Soon correected, but come on, make it clearer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3721 on: 11 August, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
Yesterday I took my niece into that London to visit the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels. Yikes that was expensive.  :o train tickets, ice cream, entry and then the gift shop.  :o

Worse a day on my feet has buggered my hips, today I ran the church sound desk for the wedding of a family friend (two hours on my feet) and I can now I can barely get up the stairs at home. Still I see the GP on monday to see if I can get some better pain killers and a referral for a second opinion.

On current going I shall be of absolutely no use when Mum has her hip replacement as I will be no more mobile than she is.

The problem will come when I can no longer get onto my bike.
I sometimes find that too - hips hurt when walking or standing a lot, but they're fine for cycling. The solution would seem to be to go everywhere by bike...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3722 on: 12 August, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »
Obligatory fields in on-line ordering forms, chiz moan drone etc.  ::-)

The alternative is to go the Post Office, but compared to Interparcel.com, what they are charging for the parcel I wish to send is bloody ridiculous!
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3723 on: 12 August, 2013, 05:45:20 pm »
No wonder the ride in felt a bit odd this morning - another bent pedal spindle.

Yet again, it's on a pair of new(ish) ATAC Aliums  >:( Whilst I got the first pair replaced under warranty I've had these for rather longer ....

Methinks its time to start looking on fleaBay for some old-skool plastic-bodied ATACs

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3724 on: 12 August, 2013, 06:18:03 pm »
They've painted over the John Paul Jones ship mural in Whitehaven and replaced it with a picture of Gulliver tied up by the Lilliputians. The first picture had some historical significance to the town, the new one has absolutely no link to Whitehaven.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!