Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627391 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1475 on: 08 March, 2012, 02:51:35 pm »
I have a very weird twingey pain in my throat that has been around for months so GP sent me for a blood test. Blood tests showed I am as normal as a normal thing. I got a lurgy the other weekend and interestingly the twinge disappeared for a few days but now it is back. GP says it’s not worth investigating further given I am not a ’60-year-old chain-smoking alcoholic’ and I guess he’s right, as I’ve kind of got used to it, but it is mildly annoying not knowing what it is.

Am really low on energy since the lurgy hit too, which is quite boring. A friend suggested I stop cycling to work in case it's delaying my recovery, but it's a mere 2.5 flat miles each way and it saves me having to kill the kids on the bus playing music through their phones. Giving schoolkids free bus passes is the best thing Ken could have done to encourage me to cycle, IMO...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1476 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:01:23 pm »
Can't. Stop. Eating.  :(

EDIT: Comedy typo removed.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1477 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:02:59 pm »
Can't. Stop. Easting.  :(

Maybe you should try Westing instead :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1478 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »
That would make him an eastender

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1479 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »
Can't. Stop. Easting.  :(

Maybe you should try Westing instead :)

Touché.

That would make him an eastender

*checks postcode*  Yes, you are correct.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1480 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:12:22 pm »
Unimpressed by last interviewee's numeracy. If a return fare from Birmingham to London Euston is £177 how/why does this punter think this works out as £9 per mile? I suppose he means 90p...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17296263
Presume distaance to Brum is just over 100 miles...

« Reply #1481 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:34:22 pm »
But here's my grumble:
It was the first time I'd used my shiny new Lezene mini-pump.  It has a flexi-tube to connect it to the valve, which screws onto the valve and has a nice 'O' ring to seal it.   Similar to days of old with frame-pumps and their little fabric-covered flexy tubes onto yer grandpas old woods valve.

When I came to un-screw the hose from the valve, the o-ring friction on the valve core caused it to unscrew along with the hose, out of the body.  Instant deflation.   I was not able to nip the valve core in with sufficient tightness to remain put as I removed the hose!   I had no nip-nip type deivce on my multi-tool.  I was this >< close to removing the tube from the tyre again to use my teeth as pliers when finally I got it to stay put on the 3rd or 4th attempt.

Upon inspection, all the spare tubes I have are the same: the valve core is finger-tight.   I will be putting a dab of Lock-Tite threadlock on them.

This is not an issue for push-fit type pumps, obviously.

I think I have the same pump (Lezyne pressure drive).  It's a fantastic little pump that stops me bending the valves and eventually snapping the little buggers.

I also have EXACTLY the same problem with tubes. I use continental tubes - actually, I USED to use contis.  After the having an episode of having this happen twice outside work and needing a lift home I started getting other tubes, which have all been fine.  The old contis have been 'fixed' by screwing them back in and nipping them in with a valve tool, but I can't trust myself to remember to do that with every new tub I buy.  What make were your tubes, so I know to avoid them?
+1 as they say.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1482 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:38:04 pm »
Unimpressed by last interviewee's numeracy. If a return fare from Birmingham to London Euston is £177 how/why does this punter think this works out as £9 per mile? I suppose he means 90p...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17296263

Well I suppose you could use the standard southerner view that civilisation stops at Watford Gap services, then it's simply a matter of re-defining Coventry as a part of Brimingham (which isn't that hard if you've ever used the ring road)...

« Reply #1483 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:41:32 pm »
OK I know you are all on diets, weightwatchers, not eating biscuits, 'being good'. But STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. Please.

I don't care how many 'points' are in this chocolate biscuit. I am still going to eat it, even though I have four people staring at it hungrily while I do so. And looking at the calorie count on the packet and tutting. 'Ooh I couldn't eat that it's three points.'

Apparently my suggestion for weight loss (which was, 'cycle to work, then you can eat what you want') was dismissed as 'that's such a male response' WTF? And it's a LOGICAL response! Much more logical than a diet that makes you think about food ALL THE TIME. I don't normally think about food at all, I have no 'emotional relationship' witb it, but they are MAKING me look at chocolate and think, ooooh lots of calories STOP IT!! You need food to keep you alive and life is too short and too full of crapola to be spent eating dry Ryvita when cheese is available.
The corollorary of this is that fat bastards like me, who have to constantly worry about every fecking aniseed ball, are daily pissed off by skinny people (such as your lovely teeny self) who with no thought or concern can eat CAKE every day.
Damn your skinny thighs!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1484 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »
See, I work on a principle of liberal apathy about such things.  I have no problem with skinny people - indeed some of my best friends are skinny people - other than thinking that perhaps some sort of re-education and licensing scheme would be a good idea before allowing them to design clothes.

My 'emotional relationship' with food is so fucked up (thanks, parents!) that I routinely tune out whatever people say about it in order to satisfy the higher level objective of not making myself physically or mentally ill.  So wittering about calories is something Other People do, like sport or knowing who Cheryl Cole is.  It mostly works.  Mostly.  I couldn't give a toss what shape my thighs are in that context, though from a purely scientific viewpoint, I note that while excessive cycling can be correlated with measurable weight loss, it doesn't seem to make them any smaller.

As for a logical response being dismissed as male, that's your fault for offering solutions rather than sympathy.  Rookie mistake.

There is no situation in which Ryvita can reasonably be classed as food, though.

« Reply #1485 on: 08 March, 2012, 06:30:52 pm »
I thought fuel was expensive these days, and businesses feeling the pinch. I wonder therefore how the driver of the flatbed Transit belonging to a landscape gardening company parked opposite my flat can afford to sit with his engine idling for 15 minutes now, while he talks on his phone....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1486 on: 08 March, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »
probably because the driver doesn't pay for the fuel

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1487 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:24:21 am »
Just phone his boss...
Wombat

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1488 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:19:05 am »
Two punctures in a six mile commute - definitely hedge massacring season
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #1489 on: 09 March, 2012, 11:11:49 pm »
The New New Street Station Molishing Team
New Street Station
Birmingham
B2

Dear The Molishing Team

I have noticed of late that most of your molishing is currently being carried out to the external area of the NW corner of the station.  It is good to see the progress being made here.  Only yesterday from my window, I noticed that a large crane was brought in to lift a large random object, put it down in a place that looked suitable for having things put down in, and then later in the day pick it up again and put it back where it had been earlier.  Wonderful stuff.  Keep it up!
However, on my lunchtime walk today, I noticed that there are areas much further away from here where molishing, although yet incomplete, seems to have come to a halt.
Might I suggest that some members of your team could be more effectively employed over there?  I would suggest, and hope, that you might agree that it would be a good idea to send over Head of ‘itting Fings Wiv a ‘ammer.  I’ve checked and there is ample evidence of fings that could be ‘it over there.  Also the Pointlessly picking up Scaff Poles and then Noisily Throwing Them Down Again Team ought to be very useful in this other location.

Yours etc
The Bloke with a bloody headache by the window.

PS.  I’m not the bloke who occasionally shouts out of the 4th floor window “Get on with it, you bastards.  Where’s my new bloody station?”
No – That’s just someone who looks like me.
                                post of the decade lol ;D
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1490 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:36:50 am »

There is no situation in which Ryvita can reasonably be classed as food, though.

I disagree.

Spoon on Longley Farm cottage cheese and top with compote of blackberries and blackcurrants.

Food of my misspent student youth.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1491 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:45:49 am »
Sodding moggies.

I managed to 'win' the cats in the split.  So I am now financially responsible for the little fleabags.  I am also allergic to them.  And the little shits kept me awake half the bloody night last night scratching and banging on the door at the bottom of the stairs.  Again.  Chances of rehoming two 11 year old cats?

« Reply #1492 on: 11 March, 2012, 06:26:10 pm »
If a culinary delight described as cat cake appears, I will be a tad suspicious.........
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1493 on: 11 March, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »
Fat chav in the park. You have the right to keep a dog. You also have the responsibility to control the little fecker so it doesn't jump up me & mess up my jeans. Why did being challenged about its behaviour surprise you so much? It's a good job it wan't muddy today or it would've been a mouthful instead of a mild rebuke.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1494 on: 11 March, 2012, 10:35:41 pm »
Oh great.  Non-localised toothache.  I assume that means a secondary sinus infection...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1495 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »
Oh great.  Non-localised toothache.  I assume that means a secondary sinus infection...

Not necessarily; teeth don't localise pain well. I once had a problem with an upper premolar that gave pain which moved all the way round its dental quadrant after exposure to cold air (and I was cycling between Broomhall and Middlewood most days that winter...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1496 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »
I was trying to be optimistic...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1497 on: 12 March, 2012, 02:51:06 pm »
Bah.  The Community Furniture warehouse don't want my old dining chairs.  Took the table, but the 10 year old chairs have the wrong sort of fire label and some of them have torn covers.  I'm going to have to get them to the tip.  If I'd known that I might not have accepted the donated replacement table and chairs and actually investigated getting them recovered.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1498 on: 12 March, 2012, 03:18:41 pm »
That'll be a no to work then, started feeling shitty about 20 mins after sitting upright and that was before any 'audio' or walking around.  Have emailed in sick, taken lots of drugs, will sit upright to drain my face then go back to bed for a bit.

Hopefully will be well enough for tomorrows students - I had no studes booked today, but annoying evil hearingwise meetings and of course the fucking TODO of hugeness won't get any shorter.

Made it in on Friday avoiding anything that I'd be likely to cockup.  Spent weekend being ill, bored and stupid. Emailed in sick again and GP gave me sensible dose of amoxycillin this morning for upper chest infection.   Now everything smells of amoxcycillin and stinky snot :(

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1499 on: 12 March, 2012, 04:00:08 pm »
Bah.  The Community Furniture warehouse don't want my old dining chairs.  Took the table, but the 10 year old chairs have the wrong sort of fire label and some of them have torn covers.  I'm going to have to get them to the tip.  If I'd known that I might not have accepted the donated replacement table and chairs and actually investigated getting them recovered.
Is there a Freecycle in your area?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.