Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627298 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8725 on: 08 March, 2017, 12:54:22 pm »
You can't have mine. I'm keeping it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8726 on: 08 March, 2017, 12:57:07 pm »
What is this thing with manufacturers making rear lights that are USB charged and held on with an elastic band? I just want a sturdy mount, decent side visibility, good waterproofing and AA batteries, why is that so hard?

Because all the half-decent rear lights are designed to bolt to a rack.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8727 on: 08 March, 2017, 05:36:56 pm »
What is this thing with manufacturers making rear lights that are USB charged and held on with an elastic band? I just want a sturdy mount, decent side visibility, good waterproofing and AA batteries, why is that so hard?

<wanders off to try and find another LD1100>
Hold that thought, but substitute electric razor for lamp.  My mains powered Philishave is coming up to 30 years old and making noises that indicate that it may need replacement.  Can I  find a (directly) mains powered shaver? Can I heck as like.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8728 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:28:52 pm »
Screwfix - you do not need my name and address to sell me a £3.99 set of bolt extractors so don't give me a dirty look when I decline to provide it.
H*lf*rd's asked partner for email address today when he bought some MucOff.  He'll get spammed, poor love.

I have decided not to register a Brabantia kitchen waste caddy he bought today.

Who thehell needs to register a bin ffs?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8729 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:32:51 pm »
having spent four hours of conference calls with a client to closely define the scope and timing of work for May, today they respond with

"we don't actually want you to put X and Y in the proposal, just X. We might get to Y later, Oh and we need to talk about X again, we're not really sure about that"

Oh, and can we change the date?

Aaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!  :demon:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8730 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:50:19 pm »
having spent four hours of conference calls with a client to closely define the scope and timing of work for May, today they respond with

"we don't actually want you to put X and Y in the proposal, just X. We might get to Y later, Oh and we need to talk about X again, we're not really sure about that"

Oh, and can we change the date?

Aaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!  :demon:
Have we got the same customers?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #8731 on: 09 March, 2017, 06:24:33 pm »
Grumble.  I managed to lose my tweed flat cap on my last journey through Liverpool airport.     I couldn't find anything I liked in Liverpool so measured my head & ordered online.   It arrived to day, a nice Peaky Blinders style in Donegal tweed, grey, with flecks of bright colour, but it's just a smidgen too tight  :(   

Perhaps if I have  a haircut...... ???
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8732 on: 13 March, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »
A cheerful Geordie from EDF just rang up to schedule installing a smart meter in Larrington Towers.  And then discovered his list had, in fact, precisely no slots on it.  At all.  Top tip, EDF, enhance shareholder value by not ringing to schedule something impossible.

This would have been a rant if the Geordie hadn't been a cheerful one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8733 on: 14 March, 2017, 08:17:04 am »
^^^ Won't the juice be cut after Brexit?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8734 on: 14 March, 2017, 08:29:25 am »
Two things. John Lewis dont offer price match if delivery times differ between competitor and themselves. So it should be Never knowingly undersold if we deliver quicker than them.'

and must say this sounded a bit disingenous to say the least....

The SNP was "playing politics with the future of our country", said Mrs May. Now let me see..........
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #8735 on: 14 March, 2017, 01:12:02 pm »
and must say this sounded a bit disingenous to say the least....

The SNP was "playing politics with the future of our country", said Mrs May. Now let me see..........

I shouted at the car radio last night at that one...

« Reply #8736 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:52:29 pm »
Goddammit Word, me deleting a single word on page three of a document should not move a twelve page appendix from the end of the paper to the middle of page two.  :demon: :demon: :demon:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #8737 on: 17 March, 2017, 10:16:13 am »
Everyone has bailed out of my ride to the No Car cafe tomorrow  :( Whaddya mean you don't want to ride to Rushup Edge and back in a 40mph wind??

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8738 on: 17 March, 2017, 10:36:08 am »
The fact the phone rang and rang and rang and rang and rang and rang until it was finally answered by a MALE voice (ie me) would suggest that no, SHE's not here at the moment, wouldn't it. DICKHEAD

Why do people not understand when the phone they ring is left ringing until answered by somebody from another office it generally means the person whose phone it is might not actually be there ::-)

He is a fule and I diskard him
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8739 on: 17 March, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »
The fact the phone rang and rang and rang and rang and rang and rang until it was finally answered by a MALE voice (ie me) would suggest that no, SHE's not here at the moment, wouldn't it. DICKHEAD

Credit where it's due for not giving up if the phone isn't answered in 10 nanoseconds, thobut.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8740 on: 17 March, 2017, 01:34:34 pm »
Dear The Binmen: 

While I appreciate that you're making up for this week's missed recycling collection, and I note that you're now using a split lorry that keeps the paper/cardboard and the plastic/metal/glass separate, it might perhaps be a good idea to collect the bins that have been correctly returned to people's front gardens after your non-appearance on bin day, rather than the subset of the ones permanently abandoned on the pavements that aren't contaminated with general waste (which is not many).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8741 on: 17 March, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »
^ we're still waiting for our new bin, which is a smaller general waste bin and the current general waste bin will become 'all the recycling' bin.
Which is fine, but it hasn't arrived yet. So we can now recycle more types of stuff than we could 2 weeks ago but we haven't got a big enough bin to fit it in.

I'm fully expecting the new bin to be delivered when the old gen waste one is full, leading to comedy bin diving to transfer the contents from one to the other.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #8742 on: 20 March, 2017, 11:25:41 am »
I'm supposed to be on a 15:30 flight home,  just had a text from EasyJet saying it's delayed until 18:10, due to industrial action in Italy.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8743 on: 22 March, 2017, 01:49:08 pm »
Co-Wheels have un-booked my bookings for Long Itch, and the York and Mildenhall rallies.  Because the local Passat estate[1] is being withdrawn from the fleet (perhaps this means someone has broken it?).  They've helpfully re-booked the nearest alternative car, which you might be able to fit a Brompton in if you're lucky.

And the website is down so I can't login and find a more suitable alternative.

[1] The One With The Clutch™

« Reply #8744 on: 23 March, 2017, 07:49:18 pm »
If your establishment of sweet toothy comestibles is advertised as being open but when two well exercised touring cyclists arrive it is in fact closed, don't be surprised to find two very disappointed cyclusts using your benches.   

Your black look was pointless as it had to be pointed out to me.   :D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8745 on: 23 March, 2017, 08:07:58 pm »
A disappointed but bonked-out cyclist is NOT convivial company (but might be good for RANT lolz).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8746 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:54:10 pm »
I rarely use Faecebook on anything other than a phone, but OMG it's horrible nowadays on a proper computer.  All the unwanted crap takes longer to load than your average provincial newspaper site, even with AdBlock Plus running, and the videos now autoplay.  Sometimes it takes so long to leave the page, I have to do the Vulcan nerve pinch and shut down Firefox.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8747 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:03:03 am »
Somewhere in the smelly guts of FB settings you can tell it not to autoplay.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8748 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:26:20 am »
I've just received an email in German addressed to me and 22 others from someone who appears to be a teacher in Luzern, Switzerland. I've never even been to Switzerland. I guess it's a .com/.co.ch or similar error. It doesn't seem to be spam. At least, not deliberately. But I'm glad to learn that Frau Erni's Praktikum was a success and I'm sure the kids are looking forward to "Projekt Prometeus" on Monday and Tuesday. It sounds fun with a name like that!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8749 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:32:50 am »
No. It will be the end of the world as we know it.

You have been warned . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.