Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627242 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13175 on: 19 May, 2021, 11:31:01 pm »
All day at the office trying to fix a bit of kit and never got to fix/test my fix because I ended up with a whole day of whack-a-mole problems with testing equipment not working and then the equipment to fix that equipment not working.

Turtles Problems all the way down.
in the old days when telephone exchanges (well the older ones) still needed a lot of tweaking and fettling to carry on working we had machines that routinely tested every ‘switch’ every night that were imaginatively called Routiners. The exchange I was working in at the time of this story had 4 of these routines each covering four or five thousand ‘switches’. (A switch in this context is a single two motion selector which selects routing for one digit in a telephone number). Anyhoo, these routiners ran overnight testing each switch with a number of discrete tests before moving on to the next switch. If a switch failed one of the (26 or so) tests the routiner printed of a docket with the details. Our first job of the day was to attend to these faults, testing and repairing as required. The routiners were the same level of tech as the switches, namely  discrete relays, wire wound resisters and electromechanical movements. 2000 type Strowger really was a joy to work on, I digress.
You now have a bit of background (get on with it: Ed)

On the morning in question we met up with our vending machine coffee at the TO(A)s (the team leader) desk and collected out stack of dockets. You’d normally expect the 15 or so I had that morning. One of my colleagues had hundreds of dockets, each one marked sequencaly with the switch ID and every one the same fail code. The docket printer had run out of dockets and the routiner stopped. The night shift guys hadn’t bothered to reload the printer and restart the routiner for obvious reasons. Well, obvious to most of us. There was much banter at said colleagues expense because fixing routiners can be a bugger of a job. Even the To(A) commiserated with the chap. We all wander off to or sections to get on with the day. At some point during the afternoon there’s some banter going on as we’ve finished the routiner work and we’re doing some routine maintenance or whatever our tasks are that week. Apart from docket boy. So we wander over to see how he’s getting on faulting and fixing his routiner.  :facepalm: He’s on about his 17th switch, which he’s struggling to adjust to get it to pass the routiner test. He’s complaining because the switches he’s already adjusted to pass the routiner keep failing in service and causing alarms and he keeps having to go and reset them to clear the alarms. That, he says, is making it difficult to focus on fixing the switches.  :facepalm:

I liked the guy, he was good company, but I really didn’t think anyone could be that stupid and actually get a job in an exchange. It was about this time that I started to realise that I wasn’t actually the idiot I’d been lead to believe. Well, that is until I arrived at the R&D establishment and became surrounded by some seriously clever people.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13176 on: 19 May, 2021, 11:41:17 pm »
Free space?! You jest!
D is always running out but frootyputers never have much for their price...

ian

« Reply #13177 on: 20 May, 2021, 09:39:06 am »
Buy external disks, they're effectively cheap. I've downloaded the entire internet to be safe*.

*don't joke, this is how it works in Cuba, you can buy and swap USB sticks with the bits of the internet you are interested in.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13178 on: 20 May, 2021, 01:26:30 pm »
Surveyor's just been to do the home report. 15 mins, and for that we get the privilege of paying £450. I'm in the wrong job.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #13179 on: 20 May, 2021, 01:37:34 pm »
Surveyor's just been to do the home report. 15 mins, and for that we get the privilege of paying £450. I'm in the wrong job.

They've got to cover the enormous wear and tear on the copy and paste keys somehow.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13180 on: 20 May, 2021, 01:46:12 pm »

They've got to cover the enormous wear and tear on the copy and paste keys somehow.
And if there’s anything the surveyor didn’t find that subsequently kills you or costs you money, they are not liable. It’s hardly an incentive to,do the job thoroughly is it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13181 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:45:45 pm »
I know right? I've got one of those 2 pronged moisture meters, and after all the hours I've spent learning about traditional buildings as a result of living here (i.e. they're prone to being cold, damp and leaky), I could totally do that.
And having read a fair few home reports over the last few months I would concur it's 20 pages of copy & paste with maybe a couple of short paragraphs of relevance at best.
Still better than the old stupid system of every prospective buyer having to get their own survey done, leading to multiple reports for the same property.

ian

« Reply #13182 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:50:29 pm »
Yes, it seemed useless, but it's an expensive box tick. We asked ours lots of questions to get value for money. I'm not sure if he hated or loved us for that.

Basically, he filled out a House Survey Word template which was just filled with random things that could be easily observed (is the cooker extractor hood too low, ours was by 7mm). Nice to, erm, know.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #13183 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:54:25 pm »
Some years ago, when I worked for a well-known Building Society, anything other than a full structural survey was known internally as a drive-by. The joke - which may not have been too far from the truth - was that for flats all the surveyor had to do was change down a gear as s/he went past.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13184 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:55:03 pm »
I used to work for a building society (on the marketing side) and the joke about valuations for mortage/surveys was:

Basic valuation for mortgage - stop outside the house and see if it's there
Housebuyer report/survey - stop outside the house and, assuming it's there, lower the car window

The other con is the EPC that most houses have to have - the chap took 7 minutes door to door when he did one for our sale (3 bed town-house) last year

EDIT - see immediate previous thread re drive-by ;D  [The outfit I worked for was the names of a town and city in Gloucestershire - long gone, subsumed by Lloyds Bank]

« Reply #13185 on: 20 May, 2021, 03:10:58 pm »
A former professional acquaintance bought a townhouse in a very fine Georgian square many years ago: the only reason they could afford it was because it needed extensive work.

They concluded that the surveyor couldn't have opened the front door, because if he had, surely he'd have mentioned that it didn't have a roof.

robgul

« Reply #13186 on: 20 May, 2021, 04:07:45 pm »
A former professional acquaintance bought a townhouse in a very fine Georgian square many years ago: the only reason they could afford it was because it needed extensive work.

They concluded that the surveyor couldn't have opened the front door, because if he had, surely he'd have mentioned that it didn't have a roof.

... ah, if only a townhouse in a Georgian Square - ours was a 1992-built living machine, but great for what we needed and where it was (10 min walk to M&S for Mrs robgul)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #13187 on: 20 May, 2021, 04:28:48 pm »
I used to work for a building society (on the marketing side) and the joke about valuations for mortage/surveys was:

[The outfit I worked for was the names of a town and city in Gloucestershire - long gone, subsumed by Lloyds Bank]

Mine has also long gone, although the town in SE London (and its fine old former HQ slap bang in the centre) are still there. I'm sure you're with me by now  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #13188 on: 20 May, 2021, 05:04:56 pm »
The report required in Scotland is very different from the English version though.

IME of the scottish reports, the surveyors are unduly pessimistic.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13189 on: 20 May, 2021, 06:26:55 pm »
The report required in Scotland is very different from the English version though.

IME of the scottish reports, the surveyors are unduly pessimistic.

Bit like the one I just read that effectively said 'high voltage power lines over garden could impact property value if found to have link with health issues in future'

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13190 on: 20 May, 2021, 06:41:46 pm »
EDIT - see immediate previous thread re drive-by ;D  [The outfit I worked for was the names of a town and city in Gloucestershire - long gone, subsumed by Lloyds Bank]
Ah, the late lamented Yate & Dursley.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #13191 on: 20 May, 2021, 06:44:57 pm »

Bit like the one I just read that effectively said 'high voltage power lines over garden could impact property value if found to have link with health issues in future'
You've either changed jobs or are you moving, Mrs P?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

robgul

« Reply #13192 on: 20 May, 2021, 07:08:32 pm »

Is one of those a city? - and I thought Yate was in C.U.B.A. ?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13193 on: 20 May, 2021, 07:45:18 pm »

You've either changed jobs or are you moving, Mrs P?

Sam
If you check out my last elebenty billion posts on the "what have you fettled today" thread you'll get a clue.
This of course all depends on us finding a sucker...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13194 on: 20 May, 2021, 08:38:23 pm »

Yate is in CUBA but a long time ago it was in Gloucestershire. According to some, it's not only a city but a metropolis of high culture!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13195 on: 20 May, 2021, 10:34:39 pm »

Pedersen & County innit?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13196 on: 21 May, 2021, 10:17:21 am »
Pedersen works for both of them (Dursley and... Robgul's mystery town... ): v.g! ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13197 on: 21 May, 2021, 04:29:56 pm »
Well the draft home report arrived (it really did look like a 15min job):

no sight was available of the flat roof
If you'd looked out of the Velux window when you were in the loft you'd have seen it just fine.

Some soft wood round the door frame and window surrounds
Er, the windows are all PVC and the nearest wood to them is the trim round the tops of the dormers which is all boxed in by wood effect UPVC trim. Also, if you could reach that with your telescopic ladder you're having a laugh.

On the plus side he didn't find the small mouldy bit I hid with judicious placement of DVD box sets  O:-) and he didn't report any elevated moisture readings, which as regular subscribers to this channel will know is a complete miracle.  :thumbsup:
And the valuation was better than I expected (not that it means anything really with the flat market being so slow).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13198 on: 21 May, 2021, 04:57:33 pm »
Now you just need to remmeber the portion of fantasy housing surveyors work in for reading home reports on other places.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13199 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:05:34 am »
Just paid an overdue water bill a week after getting the reminder.  Noticed that:

- the billing authority's address is in a town 10 km away
- the postmark was that of a suburb of Lyon, over 400 km away
- it was despatched on 5th May, so it spent almost 3 weeks getting here
- the reminder states "payable up to 30 days from this notification", after which the thumbscrews come out.
- it doesn't bear a date.

BTW, "date as postmark" is a formula often quoted at people posting in their tax returns.  One woman I heard of on the radio posted hers on the last day before the deadline and was surprised to be fined 10% on top of the amount due.  When she protested she was told "do you think we keep envelopes?"

Oh aye, the address printed on the envelope for my water bill payment is in Lille.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight