Author Topic: Veggie roast ideas?  (Read 2119 times)

Veggie roast ideas?
« on: 26 September, 2020, 07:35:28 pm »
I'm not without ideas, just wondered what recipes veggies would suggest, when everyone else will be eating rib of beef. Extra points for courgette inclusion.

ETA and an alternative cabbage version that can rival baking with bacon would be fun, if it exists. Cabbage has just been picked, of that makes any difference.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Veggie roast ideas?
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:46:16 pm »
Gary Rhodes mushroom and onion suet pudding is absolutely bloody lush.

Stir fry cabbage with a splash of rice wine and soy. Finish with sesame oil.

« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:55:47 pm »
Is cheese allowed?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2020, 12:21:46 am »
Petril
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2020, 06:18:41 am »
Assuming cheese is allowed or can be substitute for vegan option the river cottage veg book root veg pasties are bloody brilliant if a fair bit off faff with chopping the veg up small

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2020, 12:54:06 pm »
Also assuming cheese is allowed, this is really nice:

https://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes/perl-las-mushroom-walnut--spinach-roast

I’ve made it both with eggs and without, and it makes little difference to skip them. I usually use kale instead of spinach. Rarely have chestnuts, you can substitute anything for those. I’ve used chickpeas (and the juice from tinned chickpeas will serve the same purpose as eggs) but some form of roast root veg works best.

Quicker to make than it looks from the recipe - most of it is oven time.

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2020, 02:17:54 pm »
That does look good, I've actually gone back to my bog standard  nut roast which is, cook up onion, garlic, celery, veg etc with lentils, add cheese, nuts and eggs and bake. Has in its favour easy preparation.  Done separate roasties and parsnip (ie without goose fat) but drew the line at the cabbage.

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2020, 05:16:40 pm »

Thanks for that. Just found the menu on Mumsnet and it's going to be a meal this week.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2020, 12:00:19 pm »
From one of my cow-orkers on Yammer this morning - we are sharing recipes using our own produce

- 1 x medium sized cabbage, sliced into chunks
- 2 x teaspoons tumeric
- 1 x teaspoon of roasted coriander powder
- 1 x teaspoon of roasetd cumin powder
- 1 x teaspooon of whole roasted cumin seeds
- 1 x teaspoon of red chili flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you prefer)
- 2 x large cloves of garlic, grated
- 3-4 tablespoons of ghee (or butter if you don't have ghee)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- A handful of raisins
- A little warm water (around 2 tablespoons)

Chop the cabbage into chunks and lay on an oven tray. Melt the ghee (or butter) in the microwave then add the oil, spices, tumeric and grated garlic. Mix all together and pour over the cabbage, sprinkle over the salt and pepper. Toss everying togther so the cabbage is covered with the mixure. Add a little water and roast in the oven for around 20 mins - depnding on how soft or crunchy you like your cabbage. When there's about 5 mins left to cook, add the handful of raisins, mix and continue roasting.

To keep it meat-free, serve with black rice, topped with chili feta and fresh coriander (pictured here).

Another recipe I posted was this one

•Scrub the squash and slice lengthways, and place in a roasting tray. Tip to get it to sit upright is to scrunch up some aluminium foil into a sausage shape and turn into a circle, then us it as an adjustable trivet. Scoop out the seeds from the cavity, separate the seeds from the pulp (wash and dry these and save to plant next spring)
•Meanwhile, finely dice carrot, shallot or onion, green and red pepper and gently fry in olive oil. Add fresh chilli (also from the garden) to taste, herbs like thyme and oregano are also great in here
•Once those are just starting to colour add finely chopped mushrooms and again sweat those down
•Now add in your fresh chopped tomatoes (you can skin these if you don't like it or if it's going a bit tough) and to keep this plant-based for my veggie family I used rehydrated soya mince, something like chorizo or smoked bacon fried with the veggies also works well. Add the chopped pulp from the squash.
•To add a bit of umami flavour I add a dash of soy sauce and black olive tapenade
•At this stage you now need to leave the ragu to evaporate its water to an almost dry consistency for the stuffing, over a gentle heat. Add salt and pepper to taste at the end - if you add it too early it'll be too much once the water has evaporated
•I baked these in a 180C oven for about 80 mins with a foil covering to stop burning. Add a bit of water to the bottom of the tin to help the squash cook well. Test with a knife or skewer, should penetrate easily
•Optional depending whether you want to stay vegan or not is to grate some cheese onto the top for the final ten-15 minutes and turn the oven up to 210C

This fed a family of four for Sunday lunch with half a portion left over.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2020, 12:13:44 pm »
That does look good

I've done it again: every time I read that recipe, I misread it and think it requires chestnuts rather than chestnut mushrooms. I do actually use chestnuts (as well as mushrooms) when I have them, but the recipe doesn't include them.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2020, 01:27:53 pm »
I'd also recommend Otolenghi's mushroom and lentil ragu, either with pasta, jacket spuds, rice, or a great wintery stew with crusty bread
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2020, 08:54:07 am »
My wife came up with something that was based on roasted cauliflower florets, with a sort of coating. A bit like a tempura batter, but roasted in oven rather than fried.
 They came out crunchy with a real bite. It was an adaption of a recipe, I'll see if I can find it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 02 October, 2020, 06:43:11 am »

Thanks for that. Just found the menu on Mumsnet and it's going to be a meal this week.

I can recommend the Gary Rhodes mushroom and suet pudding. We substituted button mushrooms and it was delicious.
Never knowingly under caffeinated