Author Topic: Alternative to Strava?  (Read 3033 times)

Alternative to Strava?
« on: 11 July, 2019, 12:01:45 pm »
I've used Strava on several phones without issue, but my Honor 9 Lite really doesn't get on with it and I've lost quite a few rides of late. Nothing has changed other than the phone which goes in the same pannier pocket as all the other phones that have worked fine.

Any alternatives out there worth trying?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Alternative to Strava?
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2019, 12:09:10 pm »
I gave up on the Strava app ages ago, due to it crashing.  Now use either a Garmin for long rides, or the MyTracks android app.  This app is the resurrected version of the previous Google app - it seems reliable, and uses little battery.  Post ride one 'exports' file, then I share it to my email, download gpx, and manually upload to Strava.  Also has benefit of a standalone gpx file record of ride (without having to export from Stava).
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2019, 12:22:52 pm »
Ride with GPS? Used my phone app to log a couple of rides with no problems but I usually use a Garmin unit so don't know if it is totally reliable.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2019, 12:32:56 pm »
Seems to be a common problem with Huawei / Honor phones. Check the power saving settings. ie disable any battery optimisation for the Strava app.

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2019, 01:13:44 pm »
I think anything with a recent version of Android requires a whole bunch of 'fuck off and leave this app alone' to be ticked before things will work properly.  Battery conservation at the expense of functionality, unfortunately.

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2019, 01:47:32 pm »
Thanks. I've disabled power optimisation (yeah, right!) for Strava and will see how I get on on the way home...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2019, 02:14:03 pm »
I normally use a Garmin to log rides, but I tend to use the app for short local trips.  I've been having problems with it getting stuck in the 'stopped' state, which I think are down to my new phone not turning the screen off when you close the flap on the case like my old one did.  Need to re-program my habits.

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:59:12 pm »
Ride with GPS? Used my phone app to log a couple of rides with no problems but I usually use a Garmin unit so don't know if it is totally reliable.
I've been using RwGPS for several years with no issues whatsoever. Updates and incremental changes always seem sensible and appropriate.
I've even given them ££ for the last few years!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2019, 10:01:28 am »
Yesterday's commute home worked well with the new settings, but I'll see how I get on long-term...

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2019, 12:04:30 pm »
Seems to be working OK now, so thanks for the tip.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2019, 01:18:49 pm »
Had this problem too, used RWGPS instead and seemed ok, I'm not aware of having done any fiddling to system optimization beyond what the Apps ask for when installed.

Software optimization of battery life was an inevitable result of ever diminishing returns in hardware battery life improvements
And wowee are selling their devices with the standby battery life as one of the features.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2019, 06:05:48 pm »
Software optimization of battery life was an inevitable result of ever diminishing returns in hardware battery life improvements

To be fair, it's also an inevitable result of allowing apps enough autonomy to do useful things in the background.  There's always going to be some buggy piece of crap that gets stuck in a loop and drains the battery, so it's good that the OS provides tools to control that sort of thing.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2019, 06:46:07 pm »

To be fair, it's also an inevitable result of allowing apps enough autonomy to do useful things in the background.  There's always going to be some buggy piece of crap that gets stuck in a loop and drains the battery, so it's good that the OS provides tools to control that sort of thing.

Well yes.

« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2019, 01:46:03 pm »
The only repercussion seems to be the OS telling me that Strava is using battery power when not in active use. I can live with that.