Author Topic: How to mount a B&M cyo on derailleur post?  (Read 6082 times)

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
How to mount a B&M cyo on derailleur post?
« on: 24 March, 2009, 01:05:37 pm »
Howdo all.

Days are lengthening, weather is cheering. Thus far, I've managed to put off swapping the lights across from the heavyweight commuter (SMGTe) to my new Challenge Furai. But, with a need to pick up some serious mileage, the time may have come to dress the new machine for evening and night rides.

The SMGTe has no derailleur post, but has a very handy bolt sitting atop the boom just behind the bottom bracket. I've used this to hold my B&M Cyo in place, and it works perfectly.

Problem is, the Furai does not have a bolt here. With a carbon boom and derailleur post, the mounting approach has got to change. I've seen solutions at Terracycle (http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=accmt&Category_Code=Acmts) but can't find anything in the UK.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something that might work? I really need to get out on that Furai, if only to check how woefully short the top gear is. On short runs, I'm spinning out all the time, and really wasn't expecting the SMGTe to outperform. Hopefully, it'll settle down on a longer pace.

Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: How to mount a B&M cyo on derailleur post?
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:31:58 pm »
Howdo all.

Days are lengthening, weather is cheering. Thus far, I've managed to put off swapping the lights across from the heavyweight commuter (SMGTe) to my new Challenge Furai. But, with a need to pick up some serious mileage, the time may have come to dress the new machine for evening and night rides.

The SMGTe has no derailleur post, but has a very handy bolt sitting atop the boom just behind the bottom bracket. I've used this to hold my B&M Cyo in place, and it works perfectly.

Problem is, the Furai does not have a bolt here. With a carbon boom and derailleur post, the mounting approach has got to change. I've seen solutions at Terracycle (http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=accmt&Category_Code=Acmts) but can't find anything in the UK.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something that might work? I really need to get out on that Furai, if only to check how woefully short the top gear is. On short runs, I'm spinning out all the time, and really wasn't expecting the SMGTe to outperform. Hopefully, it'll settle down on a longer pace.

After looking at a picture of this human powered vehicle I would say that there is no ideal place to mount any light.

As your feet are right at the front they will cast a shadow in any beam

If I had to deal with your light mount problem I'd use a large P clip or a the plastic collar that cateye supply to attach their rear lights to seatposts.
This provides a bolt hole perpendicular to the tube it is attached too.  Use a long ( 5cm ) bolt on this and pack it with washers so the Cyo has clearance from the tube.
You could put this on the front forks or (excuse my clumsy attempts to name parts of your magnificent machine) the ultra extended steerer/stem that the handlebars are attached too

« Reply #2 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:38:49 pm »
After looking at a picture of this human powered vehicle I would say that there is no ideal place to mount any light.

As your feet are right at the front they will cast a shadow in any beam

Not on the derailleur post - it's right at the front of the bike.  It's probably the best place for lights, it's just not very easy to mount stuff to given the angle of the post.  Terracycle is my choice, though a Minoura space grip has worked for years on my Hurricane.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:45:46 pm »
You could put this on the front forks or (excuse my clumsy attempts to name parts of your magnificent machine) the ultra extended steerer/stem that the handlebars are attached too

Much of the front fork is obscured by my foot on each revolution, so the only mounting point available there would have to be pretty low. Probably around 13 inches from the tarmac, so less than ideal. Actually, the bars are pretty low too, as I opted to avoid the 'ultra extended steerer/stem' on mine, favouring the configuration below.

Ah... but its so pretty. Would be a pity for nobody to see her at night.

Especially if as a result of this, they drove into her.

....Or me.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:46:04 pm »
I've seen solutions at Terracycle (http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=accmt&Category_Code=Acmts) but can't find anything in the UK.

Wheel NV (ex Trikes and stuff) ( Wheel NV ) might have terracycle mounts in stock. ( I bough one from them a year or so ago).

Also have a plain Minoura spacegrip and found it works ok if the light it support's not too heavy (i.e. works ok with a small Dinotte (DiNotte Lighting :: Ultimate Road Bicycle Lights) , but does not look strong enough to carry a solidlight)

Terracycle might also ship to the UK ?

Arnaud.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:55:50 pm »
Your handlebars are in a completely different position to any other HPV of this make that I managed to find on the 'Net

Another idea.  A lot of the Japs at PBP had their lights mounted on their front wheel skewers

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2009, 01:59:16 pm »
If you've got space at the top of the derailleur post, you can probably bung on an Ahead-stylee stem gripping a piece of old handlebar or seat post.  It's a bit overkilly compared with a Terracycle mount thobut.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2009, 02:03:07 pm »
London Recumbents suggested the following kit from SJS / Bicycleworkshop. Looks possible.

Anyone tried this before?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2009, 02:10:26 pm »
If you've got space at the top of the derailleur post, you can probably bung on an Ahead-stylee stem gripping a piece of old handlebar or seat post.  It's a bit overkilly compared with a Terracycle mount thobut.

But rock solid.  That's how I mount lights on my SMGT and it's so strong you can use it to pick the bike up.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2009, 02:15:38 pm »

But rock solid.  That's how I mount lights on my SMGT and it's so strong you can use it to pick the bike up.

Quite.  I haz this on both the Speedmachine and the Trice, along with various other bodges to allow the fitment of more lights than some might find seemly.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 24 March, 2009, 02:16:25 pm »
I don't think a space grip will work, as it can't be adjusted in sufficient directions to get the beam to point  down the road, rather than up at the sky - perpendicular to the derailleur post. Topeak do one which does.

On the other hand, the Cyo has a different mounting arrangement to the Cateye which I use.  In fact, looking at the pic above (not looked at it for ages) you could remove the top plastic bit and put the bolt straight through the Cyo.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #11 on: 24 March, 2009, 02:31:06 pm »
I've got mine mounted on an old seatpost light mount I found in the shed.
I get a bit of flash back from my shoes which doesn't effect the forward beam. They are silver though and I expected that, it doesn't happen with the overshoes on.
The pic is not that clear and there's a velcro strap holding the excess wire in place.
If you want a clearer one of the mount I'll sort one out.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2009, 02:36:50 pm »
Is there something odd going on with mirrors here, or do you actually have two lamps on the front of the bike? Hmmm.... I hadn't considered under the boom for a mounting point. Will have to check the bike when I get home.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #13 on: 24 March, 2009, 02:46:19 pm »
Yes I did have 2 on there both run off bottle dynamos. The one underneath was run from one on the back wheel which I could reach whilst peddling and used as a high beam.
The Bacchetta's have a cage mount underneath which can be used for one of their own light mounts
http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/albumphoto.asp?albumid=69&asortType=6&apage=1
I see they do one that bolts on the front also.

« Reply #14 on: 24 March, 2009, 03:26:02 pm »
I don't think a space grip will work, as it can't be adjusted in sufficient directions to get the beam to point  down the road, rather than up at the sky - perpendicular to the derailleur post.

Surprisingly, the Minoura one does work.  You can just about see an EL530 or two mounted on it here (two EL530s fit fine on the Hurricane):

...slightly surprised not to have a "made from cheese" comment from Lord Mayor yet.

« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2009, 11:28:14 am »
Hi Andy, it seems Ian from Trikes 'n Stuff is back in action, I've just posted off a cheque to him for a terracycle mount and a norback frame pack.  Give him an email!

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2009, 12:06:35 pm »
Nice one. Yep. Just mailed me back too. Am stuck on trying a spare cateye seatpost clamp first, as that just might do the same job.

Just got to remove the metal hoop from the cyo base, and see if the mount it leaves is the right size / gender / persuasion to clamp directly to the cateye band. I think it might be.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #17 on: 24 April, 2009, 09:35:05 pm »
...and (after considerable delay) it IS!

One Cyo mounted to a carbon boom.

Parts required:

1 x old rear light seat post mount
1 x longer bolt than normal
3 x weeks waiting to get around to it.

Job done. :)

All quite minimal really :)