Author Topic: Best turbo tyres and Schwalbe failure  (Read 837 times)

Best turbo tyres and Schwalbe failure
« on: 30 January, 2022, 12:29:28 pm »
My turbo tyre has failed rather dramatically in the side walls. No explosion yet, but there will be soon unless I change it. I like Schwalbe tyres and have them on most bikes, but I'm not impressed with this one. Anyone got views on which brands are best/most reliable?

I've had it a while, I can't see Amazon, where I bought it, being interested, and Schwalbe are very direct about only accepting returns through retailers, but to my mind no tyre should do this however old, unless of course it's been run flat a lot, or whatever.

Re: Best turbo tyres and Schwalbe failure
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:01:19 pm »
I would have thought any cheap nasty thick tyre will do as it's not being used for its speed, handling or comfort qualities.

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:07:05 pm »
Advice is that they're quieter (which matters to me) and less prone to overheating (not sure I'm up to causing that). See for example here:
https://www.cyclesuk.com/blog/why-use-a-turbo-trainer-tyre/

Doesn't mean the advice is correct. But I took it...

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:19:18 pm »
I have a Tacx turbo tyre that is 5 years old.  I’m not a super regular turbo user though. Perhaps twice a week, three or four months of the year.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:45:48 pm »
For turbo use the tyres flex a lot more than on road use in order to deform to the shape of the contact patch with the roller. Road tyres with extra puncture protection layers in the contact zone tend to be less compliant and require higher force to persuade them to deform around the roller, this can kill the turbo bearings and causes more sidewall movement in the tyre, which doesn't do the sidewalls or the rim any favours.

Heavily treaded tyres can be horrendous for noise, but light patterns (eg herringbone) aren't a problem. A cheap road tyre with no puncture protection and soft compound would do the job though. Normally best to run the largest tyre size which will fit in the frame clearances and suits the rim width.

That tyre is delaminating - the layers are peeling apart. I have had a few road tyres fail that way, the sidewalls do not explode but the tread area will separate.
I have had a few tyres fail at the bead - one model of tyre didn't get on with the rims on one bike, the tyres protective wrap over the bead didn't extend as far as the rim contact point, those sidewalls did explode!

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:57:14 pm »
I have a Tacx turbo tyre that is 5 years old.
That's good news. My son-in-law has just let me have a part-used Tacx one that he had lying around, so that I can go ahead with this afternoon's TdZ stage 6. I'll see how that tyre goes.

Given that any tyre will wear out in the end, I guess my feeling is, "Why not buy a specific turbo one?" I've got a turbo wheel with power meter, so if I wanted to take the bike on the road I'd just swap back to its original wheel, which still has a road tyre fitted.

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2022, 04:46:09 pm »
"any cheap nasty thick tyre will do" - will do, for a short while, during which it will shed a lot of rubber dross over your floor and start slipping. The turbo tyres (I've used the blues ones from Schwalbe with no issue) do run a lot better on a turbo and with no mess.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2022, 08:59:19 pm »
I have a spare unused turbo tyre I'll part with for a tenner donation to jdrf if anyone wants it?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2022, 10:42:12 pm »
I probably might as well have a spare in, thanks. What make is it?

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2022, 06:04:30 am »
I would have thought any cheap nasty thick tyre will do as it's not being used for it's speed, handling or comfort qualities.

Correct.  I always just used an old tyre. 
I can belive that turbo tyres might have different properties but the real world experience shows it is not significant.  Many millions of miles have been done on turbos by others without bearing failures or other issues being widely reported.