Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252282 times)

kevinp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #750 on: 12 December, 2009, 06:01:33 pm »
I hope this is ok, here is a link to my weight loss bloggy thing http://myweightloss-kev.blogspot.com/ as you can see I have lost quite a bit and I put it nearly all down to cycling which seems to have become a bit of an obsession now :) only 3.5 lb to go to get to my weight watchers goal weight but I do intend to lose another 7 lb after that then I hope to start to level out at around 12.7 - 13.00 stone.

Any one else do weight watchers ?

« Reply #751 on: 12 December, 2009, 06:16:44 pm »
I hope this is ok, here is a link to my weight loss bloggy thing http://myweightloss-kev.blogspot.com/

Impressive. Well done  :)

simonp

« Reply #752 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:44:11 pm »
Broke the 73kg barrier again this morning.

Here's the thing.  If I am 18% body fat and I want to get to an athletic 11% then I need to get my weight down to 68kg (assuming I lose only fat).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #753 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:47:29 am »
Happyhappyhappy!

I had two aims for the year: 100kg & 95kg.  I reached the first in April, but blipped back over.  I've now been below that since September :D  The second has seemed at times impossibly difficult, but I finally done it! :D

Now, next year, I'm after 90kg ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #754 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:56:48 am »
Well done Clarion!  I would like to suggest you set your goal for next year for 85kg.  You can do more than you think you can with the very impressive work this year.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #755 on: 16 December, 2009, 12:03:30 pm »
When I started cycling again, I was about 115kg.  So it's all possible, and I pick up that challenge.  I'll have two targets again next year, then: 90kg first, and 85kg if I can get it together :)

I believe that, at 183cm, 85kg is still overweight :(
Getting there...

« Reply #756 on: 16 December, 2009, 12:05:06 pm »
I believe that, at 183cm, 85kg is still overweight :(

:hand: Uh uh, no negative thoughts please.  Look at your excellent progress!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #757 on: 16 December, 2009, 12:09:30 pm »
Close, though.  My current BMI (and, yes, I know the issues with that) is about 28, and 85kg would bring me down to about 26, which is only slightly overweight.  I should, in the longer term, be aiming at 80kg.  But I don't expect to get there overnight.
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #758 on: 19 December, 2009, 03:29:09 pm »
I'm back on track, and within a smidge of my original target weight of 72kg (72.5kg this morning, despite 3 days in a row of over indulgence).

Body fat is still too high though.  But it's coming down.

simonp

« Reply #759 on: 21 December, 2009, 02:11:11 pm »
Steady progress.  72.4kg this morning.

I'm starving!

::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #760 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:12:43 pm »
Because I am holiday for Xmas I have decided to extend the same consideration to the bathroom scales & PIG OUT FOR TWO WEEKS. :demon:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #761 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:35:44 pm »
Well, you all sound like right skinny billys to me! 

Well done to all who have reached their targets.  Hopefully once the ice goea and I finally dare to get out on the new bike I will find it such a pleasant experience compared with old faithful that I shall be covering the miles in abundance and join you all in wasting away :)

Chris S

« Reply #762 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:43:56 pm »
I was making progress thanks to the Livestrong app and some daily exercising.

Unfortunately, a large black cloud of SAD has descended upon me, which has removed any motivation to do anything except eat doughnuts, mince pies and rice pudding, and sleep in front of the fire.

I can't go out for a ride because we are snowbound, and I find walking dull.

In fact, I find everything dull at the moment. Just call me Marvin.

* sob *

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #763 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:54:42 pm »
:(  Not so good.  But do you have a brain the size of a planet?

I really miss the gym that they shut down nearby - it was such a part of my routine that I did loads of exercise without really thinking about it.  And it really had an impact, physically and mentally, when i stopped. 

Here's hoping that the  snow melts and the sun comes out round your way soon.

simonp

« Reply #764 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:59:41 pm »
I am 72.1kg now.  3kg lighter than the same time last year.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #765 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:09:46 am »
Oh dear. 

+ (new bread machine) - (riding) = put on 1.8kg this week :( :-[

I didn't think I'd necessarily keep all I'd achieved by last week, but that's a bit much in the wrong direction.

Got one more chance to consolidate a win for this year.  Mind you, Christmas is in the way...
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #766 on: 27 December, 2009, 11:27:28 am »
71.9kg.  Self control on Christmas day - just one glass of wine, no seconds of roast potatoes, turkey, etc.

:thumbsup:

Time to think about when I should up the calorie input to match output.

« Reply #767 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:30:23 pm »
I find that drinking a cup of pepperminit tea with half a spoonful of honey dampens
my appitite. After going up to 12st 6lb towards the end of my long term sick leave
(knee op, back in work 3 Dec), I am now 11st 11.4lbs as of this morning. Hoping to
get to 11st by 28 Feb 2010.

* The downside is that I have to pee more often.

(Normally weigh between 11st 8lbs -11st 12lbs)

Chris S

« Reply #768 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:47:37 pm »
2.5Kg gained so far over the holiday  :thumbsup:. Bloat-tastic!

The pain starts Friday with exhaustion tests for 100 Push up and 200 Sit up challenges, then I'm onto a proper programme with the Concept 2, Turbo Trainer and the Livestrong app, starting next week.

I'll be concentrating on Core Tone again, as that seemed to make a big difference to my average speeds on the bike this year. Might also try some squats and lunges to get more strength into my legs.

The aim is stronger, less bulky muscles, and definitely less lard.

« Reply #769 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:52:04 pm »
2.5Kg gained so far over the holiday  :thumbsup:. Bloat-tastic!

The pain starts Friday with exhaustion tests for 100 Push up and 200 Sit up challenges, then I'm onto a proper programme with the Concept 2, Turbo Trainer and the Livestrong app, starting next week.

I'll be concentrating on Core Tone again, as that seemed to make a big difference to my average speeds on the bike this year. Might also try some squats and lunges to get more strength into my legs.

The aim is stronger, less bulky muscles, and definitely less lard.
Press ups will not help your cycling much.

I've not put any weight on so far despite not cycling for 15 days

Chris S

« Reply #770 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:54:19 pm »

Well, they helped with my core tone this year - plus some upper arm strength is always a Good Thing when hauling a fixed gear up a hill, I find.

So I think I disagree   ;)

« Reply #771 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:55:43 pm »

Well, they helped with my core tone this year - plus some upper arm strength is always a Good Thing when hauling a fixed gear up a hill, I find.

So I think I disagree   ;)
I DID say "much", specific legwork and core work will help your cycling more. And anyway, "hills", where you live ? !!!!

Half seriously though, improved core strength will IMO be more beneficial than stronger arms for cycling. IME I climb faster seated on Fixed than I do out of the saddle and using my arms.

Chris S

« Reply #772 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:57:32 pm »
And anyway, "hills", where you live ? !!!!

Hehe - indeed. Though I have been known to leave the flatlands on occasion  ;).

« Reply #773 on: 30 December, 2009, 04:06:53 pm »
And anyway, "hills", where you live ? !!!!

Hehe - indeed. Though I have been known to leave the flatlands on occasion  ;).

I think the squats and lunges will be worth more, but hey, whatever works for you and most of all what you enjoy doing will be what you'll continue doing. Me ? I'll be doing squats and maybe lunges, Romanian deadlifts, bent over rows.

Weight will dissappear when I start riding more. If it doesn't it doesn't.

simonp

« Reply #774 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:25:11 pm »
I've not been cycling - or doing any exercise - at all since Christmas Eve.  Have been counting calories though (much to amusement/annoyance of family).

Christmas eve (when I got up at 5am, on my own scales): 73.7 kg
This morning, parents' scales (also digital): 71.0kg

My stomach is now quite flat.  I have a bit more muscle than before when I was the same weight so I have better definition  now.

:P