Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186526 times)

essexian

Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #925 on: 14 September, 2019, 08:17:44 am »
..... you go on a train line (Worcester to Pershore) on the "new" (they have been out a year or so) 800 class remembering back to the fact that the last time you travelled on this line was in around 1977 on one of the then new Intercity 125's!  Frankly, I thought the 125 was far better than the new rolling stock!

And.... stay with me with this one.... Stoke Speedway track is closing later today. I've never been but used to go to see Hackney ride now and again when I lived in the far south. Anyway, that got me thinking about sports stadiums I have known and lost over the years including one near where my Great Aunty Queenie lived. I knew it was somewhere near Lea Bridge Road and knew that it wasn't the old Leyton Football Club ground as I had been there countless times. So, was it Lea Bridge Road Speedway Stadium or Clapton Dogs.

Well, as Lea Bridge speedway was in the wrong place (the north side of Lea Bridge Station), it must have been Clapton dogs and some online photo spotting confirmed this to me. As did a quick look at Google Maps which pinpointed the actual group of houses Great Aunty Queenie lived in. The last time I went to her house.... around 1970!

The houses....not sure which one but they have all been done up since I went there: https://goo.gl/maps/PMiXfKGFDg9K6Ah78

If you spin the photo around, the new houses across the green is where the stadium was.

Memories eh!

« Reply #926 on: 14 September, 2019, 08:34:06 am »
I cross that park every day on my way into work.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #927 on: 17 September, 2019, 06:21:25 pm »
The cheapest car insurance you can buy is from Saga (that one really annoyed my wife).

Wouldn't recommend SAGA car insurance though. Mother is having no ends of trouble getting them to update the Motor Insurance Database, so while the car is insured, it's not showing as such on the askmid site... So mum is currently worried about driving anywhere incase she gets picked up by ANPR traffic cameras...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #928 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:53:09 pm »

When you see this photo and think 3d (thruppence, not three-dimensional).

And you remember being given a brand-new one just after the Coronation.

I spent mine a week later.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #929 on: 19 September, 2019, 01:52:27 pm »
https://twitter.com/realmandeville/status/1174610815288336384?s=21

The “B” Ark.
Wow! I'm officially old enough to take a Saga cruise. This can only mean I'm beyond middle-aged into the official senile age group. Or do you only get there when you actually want to take a Saga cruise?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #930 on: 23 September, 2019, 06:17:43 pm »
https://twitter.com/realmandeville/status/1174610815288336384?s=21

The “B” Ark.
Wow! I'm officially old enough to take a Saga cruise. This can only mean I'm beyond middle-aged into the official senile age group. Or do you only get there when you actually want to take a Saga cruise?

What has the Sand and Gravel Association got to do with cruises?  I'm confused....

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #931 on: 23 September, 2019, 08:49:29 pm »
Quote from: andytheflyer
I'm confused....
Aye, that's another sign of middle age.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #932 on: 04 October, 2019, 11:12:16 pm »
OS 1 inch (1:63 360) maps were 6/6 back in the day...

I think the first 1:50 000 sheets were 80p.

I have 4 sheets of the whole of the Isle of Skye in 1:63360. I bought them in a second hand shop in Southend shortly after I started teaching, so that would probably have been 1975 or 1976. I think they cost me 5p each. After decimalisation and after the introduction of the 1:50000 "bodged" sheets, anyway. I remember thinking "One day I will go to the Isle of Skye and these maps will come in useful!" Three are marked 40p. One is marked 8/- (40p).

They did come in useful. Jan and I visited Skye in ... 2010 I think.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #933 on: 05 October, 2019, 08:21:00 am »
S'funny... 40p seems cheap but 8/- seems quite dear.  I don't think I ever paid more than 3/6d.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #934 on: 05 October, 2019, 09:14:38 am »
OS 1 inch (1:63 360) maps were 6/6 back in the day...

I think the first 1:50 000 sheets were 80p.

I have 4 sheets of the whole of the Isle of Skye in 1:63360. I bought them in a second hand shop in Southend shortly after I started teaching, so that would probably have been 1975 or 1976. I think they cost me 5p each. After decimalisation and after the introduction of the 1:50000 "bodged" sheets, anyway. I remember thinking "One day I will go to the Isle of Skye and these maps will come in useful!" Three are marked 40p. One is marked 8/- (40p).

They did come in useful. Jan and I visited Skye in ... 2010 I think.

I must be older than you - the 1" to the mile OS reddish-orange covered maps were 3/6d when I bought my first one (which I still have - No 161) ..... I remember when this was all fields ....... etc

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #935 on: 05 October, 2019, 09:49:16 am »
In Norn Iron I occasionally used my dad's, mostly for runs down the Ards - I think they might have cost 6d when he was cycling.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #936 on: 05 October, 2019, 11:41:00 am »
In Norn Iron I occasionally used my dad's, mostly for runs down the Ards - I think they might have cost 6d when he was cycling.
Could you get Ordnance Survey maps in Norn Iron? I thought they were a GB rather than a UK thing due to some historical reason or another.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #937 on: 05 October, 2019, 11:55:52 am »
I have a football league cup final ticket from 1974, Man City V Wolves at Wembley. Cost 80p.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #938 on: 05 October, 2019, 12:46:41 pm »
Still have the English language guidebook for EXPO 70 in Osaka.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #939 on: 05 October, 2019, 02:12:12 pm »
Could you get Ordnance Survey maps in Norn Iron? I thought they were a GB rather than a UK thing due to some historical reason or another.

Might not have been OS. 'Twas long, long ago, when Paisley was just a flowery pattern.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #940 on: 05 October, 2019, 04:54:06 pm »
I have a ticket for (I think) the Eiffel Tower for 10ff. If it is for la Tour it would have been 1990. Mid-day, midsummer's day, 1990, to be precise, because that was the arrangement I'd made with someone 5 years beforehand*.

(*No-show).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #941 on: 05 October, 2019, 07:32:37 pm »
S'funny... 40p seems cheap but 8/- seems quite dear.  I don't think I ever paid more than 3/6d.

They were mostly 6/6 when I bought them just before decimalisation. They seemed quite pricey then.

The NEW 1:50,000 were 80p on launch but there was much inflation in the late '60s/early '70s.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #942 on: 05 October, 2019, 08:03:28 pm »
The first rugby match I saw at Twickenham was England V SA when they came back into internationals in 1992/93. Cost me the gramd total of £9.  That'll just about buy a pint there these days.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #943 on: 05 October, 2019, 08:22:01 pm »
You know you're middle aged when you're pretty sure the people talking about buying anything more expensive than pick-n-mix with pre-decimal currency are in the wrong thread...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #944 on: 05 October, 2019, 09:03:31 pm »
Some of my former classmates now have kids that are over 40 years old.

I must be more than middle-aged.

But I won't admit it...

« Reply #945 on: 06 October, 2019, 08:14:38 am »
when you learn that someone you've worked with for several years was born in the year you went off to college

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #946 on: 06 October, 2019, 09:36:07 am »
when you learn that someone you've worked with for several years was born in the year you went off to college
In my new job, my Teh Boss is a couple of years younger than my daughter. A colleague was at school with my son in law.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #947 on: 06 October, 2019, 11:36:24 am »
"Kid, I've got shoes older than you" ~ The Finn
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #948 on: 06 October, 2019, 11:59:37 am »
"Kid, I've got shoes older than you" ~ The Finn

I understood that reference.  :thumbsup:

ETA - realising how long ago "Count Zero" was published makes me feel middle-aged.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #949 on: 06 October, 2019, 04:08:21 pm »

A medical contemporary friend had major surgery performed by a consultant born after they qualified...