Author Topic: Who's riding LEL ?  (Read 23210 times)

border-rider

Re: Who's riding?
« Reply #150 on: 30 July, 2009, 04:29:36 pm »
Rowing Bike Man's website, with a couple of pics:

Ligfiets.net - 29-7-2009: 1400 km per roeifiets in 3 dagen en 6 uur

He was going well.

« Reply #151 on: 30 July, 2009, 10:30:17 pm »
He rolled through Esk both ways looking unconcerned and in good time.

The zip ties were doing the job, and he left with a bag of about 100 :)

Go Andy!!!  :D

« Reply #152 on: 31 July, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
So postie is pinhead

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #153 on: 01 August, 2009, 01:20:55 pm »
Rowing Bike Man's website, with a couple of pics:

Ligfiets.net - 29-7-2009: 1400 km per roeifiets in 3 dagen en 6 uur

He was going well.

Was well inside the top ten finishers, IIRC.  He was also the first recumbent home in PBP 2003.  And he smokes.

There's hope for me yet  ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
Re: Who's riding LEL ?
« Reply #154 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:44:42 am »
Morning all, just catching up on threads whilst I've been away.

If you have some big zip ties [I ask tentatively!] you might be able to bodge a workaround - just make a loop for the chain to pass through. Might be a bit noisy, and you might have to replace the ties every now and then, but it could get you on your way.

My dear G von B. You are a frickin genius. I owe you my LEL.

I sat and waited between Ashwell and Guilden Morden but didn't see a recumbent zip tied together. 
Bad luck - a lot of effort and planning gone in an instant.

Sorry about that. I was considerably behind schedule by this time, and only rolled into Thurlby at 2245hrs.

Bad luck Arallsopp  :(.

Hard luck Arallsopp.  I guess that's one of the risks with something relatively non-standard such as a recumbent.  I guess you probably carry more unusual spares and tools than other cyclists, but there's a limit to what you can carry. :-\ :(

Bummer, Andy.

Sorry to hear it - I know how far back this year you were thinking ahead to this......

Much comiz.....

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Tomorrow is another day. Get yourself to a hardware store as soon as you see one and stock up on zip ties [and if you're really posh, a bit of plastic tubing to sleeve the chain through], get to kilt land and then swing the bike round and head for home. You is doing well. Remember Dunkirk.

edit: at the next control, rummage through the saddle bags of other riders while they sleep. Here, you will find more zip ties. Steal and use accordingly  :)

Lol. Chain tubes were a bit beyond me, but the zip tie solution was slowly refined (particularly by one of the techs at Thurlby) until they were lasting 40 miles each, and running considerably quieter than the original wheel. :)

I suplied him with more zip ties at Coxwold yeterday afternoon. Chain was staying in place and he was looking good when he again.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the zip ties Rich. Sorry you didn't make it round this time. If it helps, one of your zip ties went the full distance. Another was spent and rather cruelly discarded north of Eskdalemuir. It may be still there, if you want it back, but I fear the floods took it downstream :D

Brilliant news - he has being posting his updates on facebook as well!

Go Andy!!!  :D

Morning my loves! Thank you for your support.

He rolled through Esk both ways looking unconcerned and in good time.

The zip ties were doing the job, and he left with a bag of about 100 :)

'Unconcerned'. I think you have the wrong word here. I would have gone for 'hypothermic-but-reassured-by-the-inherent-goodness-in-people' :D
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US