Author Topic: Adhesive to attach baton to concrete balcony roof  (Read 2010 times)

Adhesive to attach baton to concrete balcony roof
« on: 20 March, 2021, 03:47:40 pm »
Hi all

I suspect this is not the first time I have posted on this subject but I can’t find the post now.

I want to hang a bird feeder from the underside of the balcony above ours. The roof is painted concrete. I can’t drill into it. I am thinking of screwing the hook into a small block of wood, then gluing that to the underside of the balcony. What adhesive would do that job? It would need to be a contact adhesive or something that doesn’t need pressure applied for a long period before it sticks.

Re: Adhesive to attach baton to concrete balcony roof
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2021, 03:53:05 pm »
Hi all

I suspect this is not the first time I have posted on this subject but I can’t find the post now.

I want to hang a bird feeder from the underside of the balcony above ours. The roof is painted concrete. I can’t drill into it. I am thinking of screwing the hook into a small block of wood, then gluing that to the underside of the balcony. What adhesive would do that job? It would need to be a contact adhesive or something that doesn’t need pressure applied for a long period before it sticks.
No mas Clavos - [translate from Spanish] - No more nails.
I've also had good results with a product from Evo-Stik called The Dogs B*ll*cks.
Srsly.
ETA - DBs is probably more versatile than No More Nails, it'll even work on wet surfaces - it uses moisture to cure.
ETFA - Apply the DBs to your wooden block, and use an over-length, wedged-in piece of batten to apply pressure whilst the DBs cures.
Looking at the destructions on my cartridge of DBs, at room temp it skins in 15 minutes, and fully cures in 24 hrs.
Needless to say, the bond will be only as good as the bond between the paint and the concrete.
I cannot imagine that a bird feeder is going to be of any substantial weight.

« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2021, 04:10:27 pm »
I have never had much luck with No More Nails. In addition, I live in a flat in which many skirting boards and architraves were attached using some form of adhesive. Every so often, there is a clatter, and I then remedy the problem with a hammer and oval nails. So I am dubious about this sort of adhesive. As usual, Amazon reviews are a mixture of 5 stars and very convincing 1 star reviews.

Yes, the idea of applying pressure in that way had occurred to me - initially rejected it as I didn’t think I had anything suitable around but it turns out I do. So short curing time not really needed.

I shall investigate the DBs. I see there is a sister product called Sticks Like Sh*t, which I find more inspiring.

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2021, 04:17:59 pm »
I have never had much luck with No More Nails. In addition, I live in a flat in which many skirting boards and architraves were attached using some form of adhesive. Every so often, there is a clatter, and I then remedy the problem with a hammer and oval nails. So I am dubious about this sort of adhesive. As usual, Amazon reviews are a mixture of 5 stars and very convincing 1 star reviews.

Yes, the idea of applying pressure in that way had occurred to me - initially rejected it as I didn’t think I had anything suitable around but it turns out I do. So short curing time not really needed.

I shall investigate the DBs. I see there is a sister product called Sticks Like Sh*t, which I find more inspiring.
I was going to mention Sticks Like Sh*t - but figured you'd had enough filth for one day  :P
ETA - we've used both products at work, incidentally. With successful results.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2021, 05:34:35 pm »
Is the paint in good condition and not likely to separate from the concrete?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2021, 05:44:08 pm »
It seems to be, yes, good condition and no flaking anywhere - looks like proper exterior masonry paint as far as I can tell.

I’d rather use a free-standing feeder support of some kind but I’d be plagued with squirrels due to the proximity of railings etc - the only way I see this working is to have the feeder hanging quite close to the underside of the balcony above, probably with an anti-squirrel baffle above it to deter access from above.

This will be the last time I try this before giving in to the sqrls.

« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2021, 05:59:50 pm »
It seems to be, yes, good condition and no flaking anywhere - looks like proper exterior masonry paint as far as I can tell.

I’d rather use a free-standing feeder support of some kind but I’d be plagued with squirrels due to the proximity of railings etc - the only way I see this working is to have the feeder hanging quite close to the underside of the balcony above, probably with an anti-squirrel baffle above it to deter access from above.

This will be the last time I try this before giving in to the sqrls.
I can be on hand with experience and advice as to the dispersal of unwanted sqrls.

« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:07:03 pm »
I read the title as about attaching bacon to the roof. Not that I have advice on either problem.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:15:26 pm »
Your last sentence in the OP is the real issue - I think No More Nails would work BUT you need to "clamp it" to get it to really take hold and cure.   The only solution I can think of is to get a piece of timber that's going to be tight fit, under tension, that's the length of the floor to ceiling - and wedge/prop it under your block of wood to get some pressure (and give it a couple of days, especially as it's outside)

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:27:51 pm »
And probably don't try it if the temp is going to be below freezing.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:56:35 pm »
BUT you need to "clamp it" to get it to really take hold and cure.

Yes, I came to that realisation after my initial post and I’m now fairly sure that I do in fact have bits of wood long enough.

None of this extra hassle would be necessary if it were not for the squirrels. Until recently, I had thought that they were dependent on a nearby tree as a launch pad to get on to the balconies. No - they can just run up the wall when they feel like it, which is generally within about 1 minute of them becoming aware of a food source.

The last time one was on the balcony, it put its face to the glass and glared at me with a look that said “Why are you in there? That flat is mine. Everywhere here is ALL mine.” I need a solution that the squirrels don’t even attempt to get around, otherwise I’ll have to abandon the birdies again if I ever want to have my balcony doors open in the summer.

Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 21 March, 2021, 07:22:53 am »
BUT you need to "clamp it" to get it to really take hold and cure.

Yes, I came to that realisation after my initial post and I’m now fairly sure that I do in fact have bits of wood long enough.

None of this extra hassle would be necessary if it were not for the squirrels. Until recently, I had thought that they were dependent on a nearby tree as a launch pad to get on to the balconies. No - they can just run up the wall when they feel like it, which is generally within about 1 minute of them becoming aware of a food source.

The last time one was on the balcony, it put its face to the glass and glared at me with a look that said “Why are you in there? That flat is mine. Everywhere here is ALL mine.” I need a solution that the squirrels don’t even attempt to get around, otherwise I’ll have to abandon the birdies again if I ever want to have my balcony doors open in the summer.

Don't talk to me about squirrels - we have a massive walnut tree (which is beautiful) just over the fence at the end of our garden - the bastards get the nuts when they fall off and then bury them in the lawn - coming back to them later when they want to eat them. 

I've made a squirrel feeding box with a lift up lid (they can work that) in the hope that by providing some nuts etc they might desist with the lawn digging.

« Reply #13 on: 21 March, 2021, 08:06:01 am »
Talking about squirrels, in the Limousin we had only the 'red' variety. In one valley I cycled through they were so dark they looked black.
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

« Reply #14 on: 21 March, 2021, 09:33:38 am »
Talking about squirrels, in the Limousin we had only the 'red' variety. In one valley I cycled through they were so dark they looked black.

Loads of black squirrels in the US - we've seen them in New England.

« Reply #15 on: 21 March, 2021, 10:51:22 am »
I’d rather use a free-standing feeder support of some kind but I’d be plagued with squirrels due to the proximity of railings ...

I know someone who had a post he didn't want animals scurrying up so he added a length of metal pole over the wooden supports - something animals cannot get their claws into and long enough that they cannot jump from beneath to above the metal pole.
I've seen sqrls go up a plastic drainpipe - I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to grip that - or do they have razor-like talons?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 21 March, 2021, 12:11:41 pm »

Loads of black squirrels in the US - we've seen them in New England.

There is at least one park, containing at least one srql, of which at least one side is black by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

The park being next to Soo Locks, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 21 March, 2021, 12:36:35 pm »
Black sqrls in Baldock area.
It is simpler than it looks.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: 27 March, 2021, 06:58:31 am »
I gave up using all those ‘not adhesives’ a few years ago. Refurbed about 13 houses now, some rented, and going back in after a few years, architraves and skirtings come adrift. Seems the ‘adhesive!’ dries out and falls off. So, what do I use now......well ladies and gentlemen, I use.........clear silicone mastic, for skirtings, architraves, battens for boxing out pipes etc. Wonderful stuff. Resistant to damp/ moisture/ movement. Clear silicone seems to be much more ‘tacky’ with more ‘sticktion’ than white. Cheaper too, about £3 a tube from tool station types.