Author Topic: After PBP, what next?  (Read 2195 times)

After PBP, what next?
« on: 22 August, 2023, 02:58:27 pm »
I have never done PBP and at (nearly) 69, I probably never will.

No doubt, many will have trained hard for this event over many months, maybe years as well as the qualifying events. Everyone that finishes will receive the commemorative medal and will have many happy memories from participating.

But then what?

Is there an anti-climax or will the riders retain that air of enthusiasm into the autumn and beyond?

Re: After PBP, what next?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2023, 03:32:43 pm »
Mr Smith isn't a member here any more but has been lurking during PBP as he follows his friends across France.

"I'm just now thinking about riding an audax again, following PBP 2015"

« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2023, 03:53:05 pm »
It is a thing for people to feel low after a long ride, and rush to plan the next one to give them something else to aim for.  With that in mind the LEL team are offering 100 guaranteed places for people who commit now. They've sold half, apparently.

It's also a thing for some people to chuck their bike in the shed and not ride again for a while.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2023, 07:27:33 pm »
Not doing PBP 28 years ago made tackling DATC a bit easier...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2023, 01:28:22 pm »
CCB Hill Climb - 10th September.  Not a lot of time to convert slow twitch muscle into an effort which is 1500 times shorter than PBP.  I think they should introduce an 85kg+ category into hill climbs.  Just a few more beers should guarantee me entry into that category, with much better odds of a strong performance.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

felstedrider

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2023, 03:57:38 pm »
I felt a bit meh before the start but was lifted by the public as usual.  Had a few teary moments on the last day for, well, reasons.  Started to convince myself I was a half decent bike rider again. 

The finish was an anti climax but I met a load of old friends again.  My family came out to see the circus for the first time and it rounded everything off nicely.

Having a quiet one next year.

« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2023, 04:17:56 pm »
I have an easy paced tour round the West Kernow Way planned for October, with plenty of pub time. A nice antidote to the madness of PBP.

« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2023, 04:20:16 pm »
CCB Hill Climb - 10th September.  Not a lot of time to convert slow twitch muscle into an effort which is 1500 times shorter than PBP.  I think they should introduce an 85kg+ category into hill climbs.  Just a few more beers should guarantee me entry into that category, with much better odds of a strong performance.
A few climbs/clubs up here have started doing weight classes. Such a better way of running it.

« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2023, 01:29:50 pm »
1000k perm